Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Families and the Home Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    forestforest

I know my son and herbman will approve, they both have copies of this book. It’s the famous Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management.

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/b/beeton/isabella/household//index.html

HerbmanHerbman

Oh I so approve … this is my FAVOURITE!!!!! cookbook. I highly recommend it to anyone who stumbles across it in an 2nd hand bookshop, opshop or market.

Mine is well worn, scribbled in and dribbled on (with food splashes from my messy cooking that is)

toosusietoosusie

Gosh Rhonda. Another thing to be grateful for. Our relaxed lifestyle lol

GiannaGianna

I have a copy too. It makes for interesting reading. 🙂

HerbmanHerbman

What do you reckon Mrs Beeton would say if she knew the book she first had published in 1861 was still a favourite. Even more strange for her would be the number of men who love her book (given that it is obvious from my 1941 edition at least that the book is very much written in a time of women’s domesticity).

newepochnewepoch

Have a very old copy – some of it quite amusing.

dentydogdentydog

As an update (the link above appears to no longer be working) this link came via the simple savers newsletter http://www.mrsbeeton.com/

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

The “Golden Wattle” and “Cookery for Young Australians” still grace our shelves!

dentydogdentydog

Nothing beats a bit of old fashioned advice!

KasaliaKasalia

I love this book, make the pretend caper recipe all the time(nasturtium seeds)

dentydogdentydog

I think the best thing about most of the old fashioned books is that you generally have the ingredients, doesn’t require some fancy ingredient that you have never heard of or will never use again.

Will check out the pretend caper recipe, which reminds me I must plant some nasturtiums!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.