Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

mosaics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kerripkerrip

Hi guys

I recently started playing around with mosaics. So far I have been to two lessons and half created a couple of projects. One was a picture frame and the second is a picture or rather a pattern.

I bought some mosaic tiles from ebay that are strange because they are really thin, so they are different to working with the broken crockery that I was working with originally.

I haven’t actually done any of the grout yet, so that should be interesting.

Has anyone tried mosaics? Do you have any tips???

Regards Kerri

carolfcarolf

Hi Kerrip, Yes i have done a fair bit of mosaic, as for tips none really, well maybe one don’t buy heaps of tiles off Ebay or you will end up with a whole cupboard full by the time this phase passes on.lol

Even though i have so many glass tiles of all sizes,i decided normal tiles are really good to use go to tile shops and have a look at seconds.

Enjoy your mosaicing it is addictive for awhile.

kerripkerrip

Hi Carol

I’m glad to have found someone else who likes to do mosaics. What sort of things do you mosaic? I want to do some plastic plant pots. Do you think this is a good idea or too hard for a beginner.

That’s a great idea going to the tile shops. I’ll definately give that a go.

Kerri

Ps.. I’m looking forward to getting addicted, lol.

carolfcarolf

I have done picture frames, mirrors, vases, pot plants (not plastic) stepping stones, and one 1 will never forget took ages, it was a huge big fibreglass ball that had been a water feature, so i proceeded to cover this thing in tiles, took for ever and within a month it had all fallen off. so 1 lesson don’t tile fibre glass.lol, or at least take the time to research it properly.

I decided to mosaic my shower in stones, mosaiced a border around my laundry because when i decided to tile a couple of walls in the laundry i would have had to cut about 1 inch off each top or bottom tile to make it fit properly and had all the power points ect so i decided to mosaic about 10 inch high border in 2 colour tiles.

kerripkerrip

Carol you sound like you were very creative.

I hope I can get some projects finished.

Hahaha I’ll try to remember about the fibreglass.

What do you think is the hardest bit? So far for me, it is getting what I have in my head into some sort of picture… but I’m hoping that is just practice

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Hi Kerri.. save all your own cracked, chipped and broken crockery too. I have a bucket full of broken stuff outside, waiting for the time when I have some time to indulge in mosaic’s.

Maybe get yourself a book or look up hints & tips online to help you through.

Have fun with it .. you could pick up some cheap & useful bits & pieces from the op shop too :tup:

carolfcarolf

Kerrip i agree with Humbug the best thing is get some books, alot of them have templates which makes it a bit easier.

Ebay usually have mosaic books. I did have a lot of books but sold most of them as i really don’t have to do them anymore.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

check out http://www.pinterest.com for mosiac ideas.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Mosaics are a bit like patchwork except in a solid form, so maybe you could get some templates from there.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

just google “free mosaic templates” and you will be suprised by what is there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.