Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Morus macroura – Himalayan Mulberry, Shahtoot or King Mulberry

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Propagation Morus macroura – Himalayan Mulberry, Shahtoot or King Mulberry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I have been reading up on this plant as I’d love to grow one, what I’ve been able to find out is they wont grow from cuttings which puzzles me as they are a Morus/Mulberry everything says air layering I know someone who has one growing and the fruit is just so sweet I just gotta have one ….. is there anyone here who has grown one from a cutting? Are there any tricks to do it? I’ve grown several black mulberry from cuttings and had good success 5 out of 6 took.

thanks

SimoSimo

I have grown a Black and a White Mulberry form cuttings, both took well but so far only the black has had fruit, I have not seen any fruit on either the white mulberry tree I took the cutting from or my cutting so could be that it is not a white mulberry at all or it could be a different type of white mulberry.

I think maybe the Shahtoot is the really long white fruit and there might be a different white mulberry which has a normal length fruit which might be Morus Alba which I think is the one I have.

Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus_(plant)

Lists “Morus macroura [M. alba var. laevigata]”

Which I take to mean that the Shahtoot is a variety of Morus Alba and therefore If you can grow Morus Alba from cutting (which you can) you should be able to grow Morus macroura.

Where did you get the info that they won’t grow from cuttings?

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I can’t remember exactly the sites as I’m at home right now I looked up the info in town… one of the sites was a permaculture site.

People have tried cuttings and they appear to be growing by sending out leaves only to die months later when dug up there were no roots.

I just found this on an aussie gardening site…..

“Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7 – 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Plant out in spring. A good percentage take, though they sometimes fail to thrive. Cuttings of mature wood of the current season’s growth, 25 – 30cm with a heel of 2 year old wood, autumn or early spring in a cold frame or a shady bed outside. Bury the cuttings to three quarters of their depth.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.