Aussies Living Simply

Moringa Oleifera

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BlueWren

For sure, Judi. I called at the property where the trees are on the way home from our meeting.Doesn’t seem to be any problem having the seeds.There are going to be lots of seeds in a while – the pods are long and full but I presume they go brown and dry before they are ripe.Just trying to find out about that.Then they should be planted straight away – no dormancy period.

The lady there pulled off a green pod and we sampled it ………..sweet, peppery but then very astringent ….couldn’t imagine eating much of it! Heaps of recipes online though.

BlueWren

This link contains just about everything we may need to know!!

http://www.avrdc.org/LC/indigenous/moringa.pdf

I have no way of confirming that the seeds I will get are M-oleifera but I think they are likely to be.Seems to be the one most widely grown.If I have any way of finding out for sure I will do so.

caddie
    Participant

Penny I too am in WA.

Where abouts is this growing and do you know if it is available from local sources?

penny

Hi Caddie

I have not found a local source yet but am making enquires. I rang DPI to make sure it was not a declared weed or a problem plant. The man I spoke to said apparently there was one in Kings Park. I am going to follow up that lead as well. If I can locate any I will let you know

BlueWren

Yay! My little Moringa_oleifera just arrived! Of course I want to go and plant it in my just beginning food forest but it’s raining, and the instructions say to let it stay in its pot for a few days to acclimatise before planting it out.

Love the Daley’s packing box.Very secure …….and a nice young man to deliver it too…..he asked me what it was, so he probably got more information than he expected, but he did seem genuinely interested. :laugh:

Let me out!!!

That’s better….ah…rain!

…stuffed the macro, but it’s got flowers on already.

caddie
    Participant

Thanks Penny,

bushy

If you know anyone from the Vessayan Islands, they will have one growing for sure and will be called a Kamongay.

We use the leaves in any dish that calls for green leaves, soups, stews, salads.

I think it prefers a tropical climate, ours becomes almost dormant in winter and there are no frosts here.

BlueWren

Do you have a few Bushy? I believe they are native to the Himalayan foothills.

Off to Google the Vessayan Islands……

Bobbee

Do ya think I could grow one in Vic if I keep it in the glass house? They sound liked the ‘ants pants’ and I would so like to have one. :shrug:

I haven’t asked at Green Harvest yet, that’s on my ‘to do’ list! :whistle:

:hug:

BlueWren

Do you get heavy frost Bobbee? They will tolerate light frost and prefer to grow up to 500m asl , but they also sound to be very adaptable.Give them a go when I have seeds to share, soon I hope.

BlueWren

bushy post=340445 wrote: If you know anyone from the Vessayan Islands, they will have one growing for sure and will be called a Kamongay.

We use the leaves in any dish that calls for green leaves, soups, stews, salads.

I think it prefers a tropical climate, ours becomes almost dormant in winter and there are no frosts here.

………Found the islands in the Phillipines, but Googling “Kamongay” was a bit interesting ………didn’t include the trees either!! :jawdrop:

Bobbee

BlueWren post=340478 wrote: Do you get heavy frost Bobbee? They will tolerate light frost and prefer to grow up to 500m asl , but they also sound to be very adaptable.Give them a go when I have seeds to share, soon I hope.

Mostly just light frosts BlueWren, depends on where abouts on the block things are planted too. And we are about 400m above sea level. I reckon it is well worth a try here. If I plant them in the food forest there is oodles of protection. :tup:

So yes please I will put my hand up for seeds when and if……….. :whistle: 😆

:hug:

mimi

I am in adelaide too, and have been wanting a moringa tree forever. years ago I got some seed on line but did not have success with them,, Mr hubby recently got me some seedlings on line but they were very wet and limp when they arrived. Two died and one in my kitchen window now has some new shoots. :tup: i would be ecstatic to get some old wood cuttings..at 62 i need to buy the biggest trees i can!!

Attached files

mimi

g’day BV. I posted a question to the rare fruits society and then phoned a couple of members… no luck so far!…I have heard that there is someone in adelaide who has been growing them for years but can’t seem to find him! 🙁

BlueWren

Hi Mimi I know how you feel about fast growing trees :tup: ………..I am several years older than you!!! Getting older …..but NEVER “old” …….is really, really annoying!!! :laugh:

Moringa seeds don’t have a dormancy period,they should be sown as soon as they are mature, so I suspect a lot of people who buy on Ebay are disappointed.I’m not saying they will never germinate when “old”, but success is much less likely.

I am hoping to get lots of mature seeds soon locally so I’m happy to add you to the list of folk who would like some if you don’t have successs .

If you can’r wait, Daley’s fruit nursery sell them , and mine was gorgeous, six months old and arrived superbly packed.I don’t know how far Daleys deliver.

The new shoot on one of yours looks promising.I don’t think they like wet feet.I put a link earlier on this post or maybe in my garden log about cultivating them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.