Aussies Living Simply

Moringa Oleifera

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Also known as Drumstick Tree, Miracle Tree, Magic Tree, Benzolive Tree, Horseradish Tree. Does anyone grow this tree? I’m liking the sound of it. Anyone know where I could get a cutting from in Adelaide? Any discussion about the miracle tree very welcome, I want to learn more about it.

Some interesting info about it…

Moringa oleifera, also know as the Magic and Miracle tree, a native of the Himalayan regions of India is without doubt, in terms of human use, one of the most valuable plant species on the planet.

Stuffed full of protein, (20% more than soybeans) with the whole gamut of essential amino acids, the edible oil being of comparable quality to olive oil with exceptional oxidative stability, means that if your within its wide range of growing climates, Moringa should be an essential element in any Permaculture system.

(Posted Image)

It grows best in direct sunlight under 500 meters altitude. It tolerates a wide range of soil conditions, but prefers a neutral to slightly acidic (pH. 6.3-7.0), well-drained sandy or loamy soil. Minimum annual rainfall requirements are estimated at 250mm with maximum at over 3,000mm, but in waterlogged soil the roots have a tendency to rot. (In areas with heavy rainfall, trees can be planted on small hills to encourage water run-off). Presence of a long taproot makes it resistant to periods of drought. Trees can be easily grown from seed or from cuttings. Temperature ranges are 25-35 degrees Celsius (0-95 degrees Fahrenheit), but the tree will tolerate up to 48 degrees in the shade and it can survive a light frost.

Moringa seeds have no dormancy period, so they can be planted as soon as they are mature and they will retain the ability to germinate for up to one year. Older seeds woll only have spotty germination. Moringa trees will flower and fruit annually and in some regions twice annually. During its first year, a Moringa tree will grow up to five meters in height and produce flowers and fruit. Left alone, the tree can eventually reach 12 meters in height with a trunk 30cm wide; however, the tree can be annually cut back to one meter from the ground. The tree will quickly recover and produce leaves and pods within easy reach. Within three years a tree will yield 400-600 pods annually and a mature tree can produce up to 1,600 pods. Copicing to the ground is also possible, and will produce a Moringa bush is no main new growth is selected, and the others eliminated.

That’s not all . . . Moringa seeds can also be used in water purification

Studies have been conducted since the early 1970′s to test the effectiveness of Moringa seeds for treating water. These studies have confirmed that the seeds are highly effective in removing suspended particles from water with medium to high levels of turbidity (Moringa seeds are less effective at treating water with low levels of turbidity).

Moringa oleifera seeds treat water on two levels, acting both as a coagulant and an antimicrobial agent. It is generally accepted that Moringa works as a coagulant due to positively charged, water-soluble proteins, which bind with negatively charged particles (silt, clay, bacteria, toxins, etc) allowing the resulting “flocs” to settle to the bottom or be removed by filtration. The antimicrobial aspects of Moringa continue to be researched. Findings support recombinant proteins both removing microorganisms by coagulation as well as acting directly as growth inhibitors of the microorganisms. While there is ongoing research being conducted on the nature and characteristics of these components, it is accepted that treatments with Moringa solutions will remove 90-99.9% of the impurities in water.

So what are you waiting for? In a year from now, you could be picking the pods from your very own 4-5m high miraculous Moringa tree!

That info came from here http://s7.invisionfree.com/Permaculture_Planet/ar/t58.htm

Bobbee

Cor blimey! :jawdrop:

Why haven’t we heard of this Miracle tree before. 😉

Hope some folk can help out with info BV. :tup:

:hug:

BlueWren

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Yes,why haven’t we!

I want, need, covet.have to have one…….. :laugh: :laugh:

Where will we find them?I think my area/soil would be perfect!!

Another link.

http://enviro.org.au/article_moringaTree.asp

Daley’s Nursery have them, $15.00.

Getting better and better!! Methinks it’s the next ALS brag tree!!

No stopping me now. :laugh:

http://www.moringasource.com/moringa-seeds.php

Looking where to buy seeds in OZ.Can’t BELIEVE I’ve never heard of these before.Great trees for seniors to grow because they grow so fast , second only to bamboo apparemtly! :ohmy :jawdrop:

“Grow Your Own Superfood…

Grow Your Own Moringa Oleifera Trees and harvest leaves everyday that contain almost all the nutrients required for Perfect Health.

Leaves are also highly nutritious for livestock eg. chickens, pigs, sheep, goats, cattle etc.

One of the few plants on earth whose leaves contain all the Essential Amino Acids required for Human Protein Synthesis. Essential for Vegans and Vegetarians

One of Nature’s Richest sources of Vitamins, Minerals and anti-oxidants

A Rich source of bio chelated Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C and E

A Rich source of bio chelated Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sulphur, Copper and Iron

The Best Natural Unprocessed Nutritional Booster Food on the Planet!

Jam – Packed with Essential Nutrients

Think for Yourself what eating Moringa Leaves can do for you!!”

That’s from a site in Zambia!!

I just ordered one from Daley’s!! Early birthday present to myself. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for putting us onto these BV.Hopefully I will have seed to share down the track.

LOL I know! Sounds like the perfect tree to have. I’m going by the theory that if they are Himalayan low lands trees, they still must be able to tolerate a bit of frost?! I want them to grow here! If I plant them thick, like a hedge, they should be a bit protected, I figure. I still want to find someone growing them in Adelaide so I can take cuttings.

BlueWren

I think I read – you sure kept me up late!!! :laugh: – that these miracle trees tolerate light frost and do best below 500m – we are at 433m so should be just right. :tup:

A thick hedge planting would be great and cuttings from locally adapted trees would obviously be best.Seems you can let them grow really tall or keep them short so that you can reach the leaves etc.Aparently the long green pods taste like asparagus.The seeds germinate best when fresh, not dried.

Having got carried away last night I’ll no doubt find that someone has them around here!

Here’s the Wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera

Bobbee

I’ll have to check Green Harvest or maybe even a LOCAL nursery :blush: :S I soometimes forget our local nurseries are really very good. :tup:

:hug:

penny

Has anyone located any seeds for this plant? I am in WA and would love some. Any information as to where I can source some please.

Steve
    Keymaster
    BlueWren

Well people, do I have good news for you!!! :tup: :clap:

I posted about these trees on our local permaculture group’s Facebook page , and lo and behold one of our members nearly bought a house a year or so ago in this area that had a big sign on the gate MORINGA ,and heaps of the trees growing there.

And………I have passed that house many times taking our cat to the cattery next door, but not for a couple of years, and at the time “MORINGA” meant nothing to me, just assumed it was the property name.

So I went for a drive this afternoon , and the house , the sign,and some trees are still there, bearing lovely long seed pods!No-one was home and the seeds need to be riper I think – other wise I would have been sorely tempted!! – so I left a note with my phone number asking if I could please have some seeds later.

So I guess I will cancel my Daley’s order , I still have a few days left when I can , and hope that I will be able to have some seeds, for myself and lots of other people too. Do you expect I could send them to WA? I may have mentioned that just ripe seeds have a much better germination rate than dried ones.

Hope you can get cuttings BV. The notes on cultivation I have read say cuttings should be of brown wood over a metre long, not green wood!!!!

That’s great news BW! Looks like it will grow well in your area. So far I haven’t been able to find any here. If you could post me some seeds when you can get some I’d be most grateful. I’m still looking though, may contact the Rare Fruit Society of SA.

BlueWren

Bandicoot Valley post=339766 wrote: That’s great news BW! Looks like it will grow well in your area. So far I haven’t been able to find any here. If you could post me some seeds when you can get some I’d be most grateful. I’m still looking though, may contact the Rare Fruit Society of SA.

Will do BV.I’ll do a new post when I have seeds and folk can pm me their address.I was pretty excited to find they grow well here.

I think I’ll let my Daley’s order come and let that one grow into a big specimen tree, they can reach 12m , and then grow “useful” height reduced ones from the local seeds I hope to get………… :laugh: too impatient!! I haven’t heard from the MORINGA folk yet though.

penny

Well I just found some interesting information from DPI. Apparently when plant catalogues have Not to any particular state, it is the supplier will not comply with state requirement related to removing soil from plants. it has taken me half the day to find out that I can have a Moringa here and I have been told where one may be growing. Amazing what you find out when you go looking, I checked because Blue Wren said that catalogues she had seen said the seeds could not be sent to WA.

I thought that it was a good bit of info to have about why some things are not sent

BlueWren

Thanks Penny.I was not referring to just Moringa seeds but seeds in general.WA and Tassie seem to be the usual exclusions.

Hope you find your tree!

Judi B
    Keymaster

I have been reading up on Moringa oleiferaDrumstick Tree, Horseradish Tree and I think I will have to give this one a try.

So if you get some seed BW could I please have a few.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.