Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Misletoe

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GumnutGumnut

Posting this as I thought it was interesting. Just goes to show how a small change can have a big impact. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-11/misteltoe-twt/4123942

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

That’s a relief .. I was wondering if, and how, I’d get rid of the mistletoe around my gums..

trees, that is 😀

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks Gumnut – that is very interesting! I have a heavily mistletoe affected Queensland Green Heart tree – very large tree, with huge balls of m’toe at the top, and I have been thinking of getting the tree guys in with their cherry picker next time the tree loses it’s leaves.So maybe I wont after all.I did recently remove all that I could reach, which was no small amount.I have a large bunch on an old stone fruit tree, easy to reach, but perhaps I should leave it be.

And I do love the little black and red m’toe birds that do all the spreading of the plant! Their suspended ball shaped nests made from spiders’ web are exquisite! :tup:

RavykRavyk

Finally! I’m a massive fan of the native mistletoes and it does seem to be really hard to convince people that one or two in a tree is not going to kill the tree.

The mistletoe berries of some varieties are quite nice to eat-very sweet [and not at all poisonous!].

BlueWrenBlueWren

I wonder how/why the English custom of “kissing under the mistletoe” at Christmas originated? Might investigate that.

I did.Very interesting and goes way way back into various countries/ traditions,possibly even Greek and Roman and certainly nothing to do with Christmas!

ThisildoThisildo
    Participant

A great article, thanks.

kerriebkerrieb

I like mistletoe and tried to get it to grow on some wattle as it’s the local host with no luck. I wanted to get the little birds into my garden. Dad managed to get some to grow though and I think the red and orange flowers on the one he has is really pretty.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Our place used to be called “Mistletoe Gully” but the tree the sign was on fell over in a storm and the sign didn’t survive 🙁

We have so many mistletoes growing here some red, some orange and even a white/pale green flowered one, some have long thin leaves others almost round …. I like mistletoe too :tup: but only when it is growing where it should and NOT on my fruit trees.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.