Aussies Living Simply

Michael Mosley's Fast Exercise

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Michael Mosley's Fast Exercise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mudhenmudhen

I posted last year about Michael Mosley’s Intermittent Fasting, he has a new book out now called Fast Exercise which I’m soon to invest in. Has anyone else seen the Australian Magazine article or have an opinion on High Intensity Training or visceral fat? My 19yo son (who knows everything) thinks I’m a crazy woman who just falls for anything, but I am going to give this a go. My dad had a heart attack a couple years ago, he’s always been slim and reasonably fit and I am built just like him so imagine that my risks are probably similar.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/michael-mosley-is-on-the-fast-track-to-fitness/story-e6frg8h6-1226804169250

VanessaVanessa

If you are going to by the book check out Book Depository, I have always found them really good for price and delivey time, even coming from the UK it is normally not much longer than a week.

It’s an interesting concept, and one I am interested to look into, especially considering my grandfather died from a Heart attack around Easter last year (although he had always been very overweight so long as I can remember), and DP’s father died of a heat attack almost a year ago, only days after having an ecg and being given the all clear, and he was never really overweight.

Also if you have a kindle it is available for about $7 (US) from Amazon

There is also some more information here, with an interview http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/01/14/3925481.htm

VanessaVanessa

Also here is the official website which might give you some more information (while still encouraging you to buy the book.

Fast Exercises

mudhenmudhen

Thanks Vanessa, I have been using Book Depository for a couple of years now, and it is really good! I have the kindle app for my Ipad but haven’t got into using it since generally I like real books that I can loan out to friends. I did find a lot of free children’s books that I got for my daughter though and that has been useful.

As far as the exercise goes, I’ll let you know what I think about it all when I’ve given it a go! I don’t have an exercise bike so I’m hoping I might be able to do it with skipping, but we’ll see.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I can see the merits of this, If you look at “early humans” short bouts of intense activity (hunting etc.) would have been part of daily life. It’s great to be thinking (and doing 🙂 ) things to protect our heart health. I would suggest before embarking on this regime, go and get your bloods, blood pressure and general heart health tested first. I had always been fit, healthy and a bit of a fidget and exercise fiend (gym junkie in the 80’s…complete with tragic legwarmers). When I hit around 40, I had more than a few vague-outs and fainting spells…..long story short…I have a cardiac arrythmia and then they discovered a leaking mitral valve. No more intense levels of exercise for this little black duck! Nothing I could have done to prevent it just a faulty electrical system and a congenital abnormality. So take care and if you do give this a try, let us know how you get on.

mudhenmudhen

Great suggestions, Earthwalker. I think I had my cholesterol tested a few years back and all was good, but it wouldn’t hurt to have another once-over. We have a friend who was diagnosed with arrythmia last year (in his early 40’s) and it was certainly a health scare. I ran regularly last year but my hips are not good and I’d like to be fit without putting too much stress on them. One of my work colleagues got the fitness bug last year and lost a good amount of weight and was feeling great but then was told she was wearing out her body and would need both hips replaced in the next 5 – 8 years – and she’s not yet 40!! I quit running for a couple months but have missed it, so I’ll go back to running at least once a week but will give this a go as well. I’d love to do pilates and some weights too, but making the time is a bit of a challenge.

VanessaVanessa

I have been doing pilates for about 6 months now to try to combat back and neck issues (which a mirad of health professionals cant seem to fix).

I think I know the problem, I have a desk bound job, spent years at school and uni carrying around a heavy back pack (often on one shoulder) and now it is catching up with me, although it is not an instant fix I can feel my posture improving, and my instructor is fantastic, in that she will come around and “adjust” people if they are not in the right position, and even “grope” us to feel if the right muscles are firing (usually the glutes or the core muscles) as they are normally the muscles which easily “turn off” and other muscles take over which is where we end up with strain and pain.

mudhenmudhen

I am hoping to find a pilates group near me, the WEA runs groups regularly that are very budget friendly, but it would be nice not to have to travel into the city. I’ve been trying to get my dad and younger brother, who both suffer badly with back problems, to join a group too, as I’ve heard so many good things about it. Do you feel it’s made much difference to you pain wise?

jaden62jaden62

Vanessa, where are you going? I had someone fairly locally a few years ago that was good, but I can’t find her any more. It seems to be pretty hard to find local pilates instructors, & I don’t feel like “undoing” any good I’ve done in a session by driving a long distance home.

Also, a couple of years ago I was doing yoga @ The Lodge, but the woman seemed to “rush” through each movement & I didn’t like it. Then one day we had an Indian man come in who moved a lot slower & it felt so much better, but I couldn’t find out who he was or how to contact him again.

yvonnehyvonneh

HIIT (High intensity interval training) is very good. In less than 5 minutes you get a great workout.

I’ve done it in the past and really should get back into it (I just use my exercise bike but you can run or do anything else but it has to be super controllable ie no treadmill). It’s super tiring and I’m pooped at the end of a the 4.x minutes I do it for.

Only go as hard as you can — it’s good that way. My scheme is 20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds (pedal) slow, 20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds (pedal) slow etc for 8 ’rounds’.

I think Mosley’s version is shorter than that but I’m sure the links will in this thread will give you more info.

I definitely feel the cardio workout through most of the day.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

All this talk of exercise is making me feel a little guilty….Time to dust off my stationary bike (in mint condition after 20 plus years…very low kilometres)..get out my BP monitor and start sedately so the ticker doesn’t do anything too dramatic.

BronBron

I haven’t read all the posts, so excuse me if this has been discussed 🙂

On Marks Daily Apple, they say women shouldn’t fast more than 14 hours at once, so my preference is to fast most days, for between 12 and 14 or so hours.

The primal ‘way to exercise’ is – move slowly most of the time (ie don’t sit 😉 ), play (whatever it is that relaxes you). sprint as fast and hard as you can twice or three times a week (yeah, pass, my pelvic floor simply can’t cope), lift heavy things. This follows our original ancestors. Nomadding around the country after food and shelter, learning skills through play (plus just relaxing, no body can cope with lots of stress), running from predators or after food, and lifting either supplies for housing or the kill to get it back to the shelter. This converts to anaerobic exercise such as planks and chin ups (which work remarkably quickly and effectively). Squats are also brilliant (and have helped my pelvic floor far more than kedgels have)

VanessaVanessa
    porgeyporgey

Bron post=359883 wrote: I haven’t read all the posts, so excuse me if this has been discussed 🙂

On Marks Daily Apple, they say women shouldn’t fast more than 14 hours at once, so my preference is to fast most days, for between 12 and 14 or so hours.

The primal ‘way to exercise’ is – move slowly most of the time (ie don’t sit 😉 ), play (whatever it is that relaxes you). sprint as fast and hard as you can twice or three times a week (yeah, pass, my pelvic floor simply can’t cope), lift heavy things. This follows our original ancestors. Nomadding around the country after food and shelter, learning skills through play (plus just relaxing, no body can cope with lots of stress), running from predators or after food, and lifting either supplies for housing or the kill to get it back to the shelter. This converts to anaerobic exercise such as planks and chin ups (which work remarkably quickly and effectively). Squats are also brilliant (and have helped my pelvic floor far more than kedgels have)

Both Moselys FAST concepts make sense on an evolutionary footing and would therefore still apply to our much different lives today. However, IMHO they both lack the most important factor in maintaining a sensible weight, lifestyle and health. That is MIDFULNESS. if we thought more about how we live, our food supply and what we shove in our mouths we would be far better off. At your next sit down meal try and be quite, consider the source and route of your food, chew each mouthfull thirty times, and the effects it’s having on your being, then sit for fifteen minutes. This approach is far from fast but it’s far better than eating on the go. In addition, I personally think walking, jogging, running with a bunch of mates and having a good yak everyday, whilst eating well, is far better for your overall health than Moselys approach. However, having said that and being prone to being a bit pudgey, I will try and run a bit faster up the next three hills I encounter.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I agree with the mindfulness concept Porgey raised. Every day people mindlessly eat….wandering around shops, sitting in front of the television….driving…the list is long. Actually making an effort to prepare a healthy meal, sit down, turn off the extraneous distractions and eat seems to be a rare thing. Even eating at your desk at work is probably not the best idea either. When office bound, I would take my lunch from home, escape outside and find a bit of green somewhere and eat away from work. I only used to get around half an hour of peace, but saved my sanity and seemed to protect me from the “afternoon slump”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.