Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

"Meat free" meals?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

I am looking to try to include a few more “meat-free” meals into our diet.

I have borrowed a cookbook from a friend (Vegan yum yum) and am hoping to try some of the recipes from that.

Just wondering if others have some “meat-free” favorites (recipes, websites, books) for anti-vegetarian households?

SnagsSnags

Cant beat a margherita pizza, dahl or Balkan bean soup or a simple pasta tomato base and what ever is in the garden broad beans are the best sprouting broccoli is pretty good too..

bluezbanditbluezbandit

This is one I cooked recently and put on my blog.

vegan Vegetable Curry.

4 potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 yellow onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

4 teaspoons curry powder

4 teaspoons garam masala

1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups tomato passata

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

(14 ounce) can coconut milk

I also added pumpkin, peas, beans, carrots, celery, leeks, capsicum (from the garden) and sweet potato (from shop).

Directions

Place potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.

Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and salt; cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, peas, remaining vegies and potatoes. Pour in the coconut milk, and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

my blog is http://www.tryhardfrugalista.com if you are interested.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

I love the River Cottage recipe books, and at Christmas I was given the Three Good Things on a Plate cookbook from Hugh Fearnley Whittington. I have been through just about every recipe in the book -most of them are real winners. Easy and cheap. Some meat and fish recipes, but lots of ones using vegetables. Try your library and see if you can borrow it.

SnagsSnags

The Guardian has a a few good recipes regularly

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/vegan

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

the only regular, non meat meal we eat here, is macaroni cheese, not from a packet made from scratch

pennypenny

Cheese and onion pie yum.

Pastry the recipe said make your own but I cheat with sheets if rushed. The rest is cheese onions and some cream. Even the meat eaters like it. I make it for the vegetarians in the family with veg and the meat eaters can add a chop or something and everyone is happy.

SnagsSnags

Spinach garlic and feta pie is pretty excellent

Spinach,feta,egg and boiled potato in a pide is my fave too.(with a sprinkle of nigella seeds).

missy71missy71

Just pasta with a basic tomato sauce with parmesan cheese and a salad . Yum :tup:

BelBel

Quiche/frittata. Pasta with garlic, breadcrumbs and broccoli. Big baked potatoes with coleslaw etc. Tuna mornay

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

one me and the boy like to eat, the girl doesnt is a pasta salad.

cooked cold, spiral pasta, throw some lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tomato, and whatever else you want in it, corn, capsicum etc, and then a salad dressing over it, we use ranch or ceasar, doesnt have to be smothered just enough to taste.

I usually cook the pasta at work, come home and hand it to the child before I head off to play cricket on a monday night

mudhenmudhen

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/silverbeet-feta-g%C3%B6zleme

Tonight we discovered Gozleme, a recipe we will keep on hand, especially when there is a glut of spinach or silver beet. One of my boys has had them a couple of times from a Turkish food stall in the Garden of Unearthly Delights, those ones had a choice of extra fillings, like cubed & fried potato or sweet potato and slices of meat. We added fried potato to ours as we had it as a vegetarian meal tonight. No one could finish a whole one, so there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow – yum!

Edited to add we used Bazaar brand greek yiros wraps and cooked them in the sandwich press, easy peasy!

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Shepherds pie made with canned brown lentils instead of mince.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

This is one of our favourites: Roulade with spiced pumpkin, macadamia, pear and tarragon stuffing. It calls for amaretti biscuits, which I never have so I throw in a handful of ground almonds instead. Also I used fresh pear rather than dried – because I have oodles of them on the tree.

Also this one which is from Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meals, but I couldn’t find a direct link online, but this one is the same. It’s Cauliflower Macaroni Cheese. It calls for bacon but just leave that out. I don’t always have creme fraiche on hand, sour cream or even natural yoghurt gets substituted. I’ve also made this without the macaroni just to serve as a side dish to something else.

These two are obviously no good if you want vegan meals, but if it’s just meat free you’re after, they’re delicious.

mudhenmudhen

We had this the other night after being gifted a bunch of kale and two dozen eggs from a friend: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/skillet-barley-with-kale-and-eggs.html?ref=quick

It was yum!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.