Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Mean minded Insurance council

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Mean minded Insurance council

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    toosusietoosusie

I don’t know how anyone else feels about this but yesterday the insurance council said on the news they thought insurance should be compulsory. I’m fed up with this multi million dollar profit industry using every emergency to push their own agendas. First it was the Queensland floods…..We must up the building code to protect more than just life…..I bet they must. It’s affecting their luxurious profits!

Now they’re saying the allocation of donations for the bush fire victims should be doled out at a different rate to people who didn’t have insurance, intimating they should get less. Also saying people who weren’t insured weren’t contributing to a fire levy. Now every time I pass a rural fire tin I throw money in, I’d be happy to pay extra on my rates to go to the firies. I certainly don’t think it should be going through the insurance industry so they can use it to boost their business.

I know many of my locals gave that little extra especially for people who had no insurance, had forgotten to renew it or found themselves in a position where the insurance companies were trying to find a reason not to pay up such as the water tank damage already mentioned or whatever and I would be disgusted to see this preferrential treatment going on anywhere. These communities have suffered enough without being subjected to this sort of mean mindedness. Aussies have shown a wonderful generosity in all adversity. We all pitch in and help one another with compassion for all and I’m sure these communities themselves would do all they could for one another without predjudice as well. Personally I’ll be firing (forgive the pun) a letter off to the PM’s and my local and state leaders members offices today to try to stop this un Australian mean mindedness. They do listen if enough of us do it.:hug: to all the victims out there:hug:

1 in 5 homes are uninsured. I hate paying insurance, as I see it as betting against myself, but it is a necessary evil and a risk I can’t afford to take.

As far as the bushfire appeals go I don’t think anyone should get more because they were uninsured.

redhen2redhen2

i’ve been thinking a lot about insurance after the floods and fires

(we’ve had neither here).

insurance is about sharing risk. people who live in the bush (as i do) are taking a greater risk, so perhaps if they want/need financial help after a crisis, insurance should be compulsory for them.

i reckon that unreliable weather is going to mean more fire storms and floods etc, but the wider community just isn’t going to be able to stump up many millions of dollars every year or so.

on the other hand, if insurance is compulsory and these sorts of things happen more frequently, premiums are going to go up. and, with the economic excitement, there will come a time when most just won’t be able to afford the premiums.

maybe that means taht teh insurance companies will have no choice but to accept reduced profits. maybe – imagine this – they will exist to help the community, not profit from it.

whoa. that would be like a parallel universe. :metal:

:shrug: 😐

LearningLearning

I think the figures are being fudged, either by the insurance council to improve their bottom line, or by the media. I heard yesterday on 774 (wish I could remember the guests’ name) that the “1 in 5” households uninsured includes renters without contents insurance. The number of home owners without building insurance is closer to 4%, with the majority of those being pensioners who had insurance for years, then found they could no longer afford it, or people with an illness or accident life crisis. I think there are very few people who don’t bother with building insurance because they expect someone to bail them out.

Learning wrote:

I think the figures are being fudged, either by the insurance council to improve their bottom line, or by the media. I heard yesterday on 774 (wish I could remember the guests’ name) that the “1 in 5” households uninsured includes renters without contents insurance.

Even tho they are renters, they most likely have lost everything they own and therefore be in need of others charity? if they had contents insurance, more money could be going to building community infrastructure, which ideally is where I would like to see my donation going.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see anyone punished and suffer just because they didn’t have insurance, and of course they will and should get the needed help. My point is that the money raised could be a lot better utilised if everyone had at least basic insurance coverage.

jilumasamjilumasam

Ah…. but basic insurance coverage is beyond my means. I rent and the last time I got a quote, I was looking at anywhere between $30-60 per month depending on the types of cover. I’m not sacrificing my food or my electricity to pay that money out. As it is, I’m concerned that due to a rent increase I won’t have enough money for the extra electricity cost over winter…

Much as I would like that insurance, I can’t afford it….

As it is, with the news about health funds doing another increase, I now have to decide if it is worth staying in my health fund and I have a chronic illness…

Lizzy

toosusietoosusie

maybe that means taht teh insurance companies will have no choice but to accept reduced profits. maybe – imagine this – they will exist to help the community, not profit from it.

whoa. that would be like a parallel universe.

:lol::clap::tup:

Reid while I may agree insurance can be seen as essential by some, when you are choosing between food or a roof over your head because you can’t afford insurance as well I see no reason why the less fortunate should get less. The increasing occurence of working poor in this and other countries already having to visit welfare agencies for help started even before this financial crisis.

There has been over a 49% increase in unemployment in Queensland over the past year, many through no fault of their own. They have my compassion in the best of times and the worst and I can’t see how it could possibly be beneficial to start this mean minded thinking at this time.

I don’t care who gets more or who gets less just as long as they all end up back where they started. We can’t replace the people and wildlife or vege gardens for them but we can at the very least show them ALL compassion IMHO

And you’re correct learning, fudging figures is a definite and ,is I suspect, a practice as old as mankind. No moral ground there. Just people with agendas sadly :|:tdown:

toosusie wrote:

And you’re correct learning, fudging figures is a definite

I’m not so sure about that, our street got hit very badly in a hail storm last October and every tin roof in the street except 4 or 5 homes had their roof replaced, and I can’t help but think “Hmm why didn’t they simply make a call to the insurance company”. (makes me think maybe they didn’t have insurance :shrug: )

toosusietoosusie

(makes me think maybe they didn’t have insurance )

Or maybe they just had 1 of the nightmare INSURANCE COMPANIES?

These are assumptions not figures. Sorry but I can’t agree here. :noapprove:

Well I’m glad we chose Suncorp for our insurance needs. Cheques rolled in faster than the paperwork! twice we had to sit on cheques to wait to find out what part of the claim it was for. :kiss1:

narellehnarelleh

Redhen come back to earth…hellooo………………

With every mortgage we have had it is compulsory to have insurance – I have to send a copy of the renewal each year to ensure they will keep our loan going. If I forget they send letters talking of foreclosing cos of the lack of insurance:shrug:

We pay less than $90 per month on the house AND contents surely with shopping around and pitting one co against the other, cheaper contents insurance could be bought.

I have always found suncorp to be good for car and house etc. So too has my sister – they had major damage after the flood in Mackay last year.

BTW – NO Insurance co’s will insure anyone in Ingham and surrounds for FLOOD – if you are lucky some assessors will allow you to claim ‘storm damage’ but if they deem it ‘flood’ – forget it. I find assessors are often the prob more so then the company (exp speaking here):@

Don’t mean to sound nasty but I don’t think that ins co’s will make fire prone areas compulsory insurance area – I think they will go the way they have up north here for floods – NOTHING available:confused:

People who do no claim for minor repairs thru insurance may have a larger excess to pay to make the claim:shrug:

supergransupergran

We are pensioners and we pay a mortgage and make sure we pay insurance too I agree it is a struggle but the alternative is worse

LearningLearning

Reid, my father had hail damage to a tin roof. Banked the insurance cheque and never fixed the roof. He thought they were crazy for paying out on something that was only cosmetic.

Narelle, I guess you are with a small financial institution. Certainly the big banks require insurance when you first apply for a mortgage, but in general, there’s no follow up. Ever.

toosusietoosusie

Hey Narelle, I think Red might have been having a bit of fun in her imagination there. 😆 She’s got a good sense of humor me thinks 😆 Ahh we can but dream of an ideal world huh and continue to be the change we want to see in this world.:metal:

narellehnarelleh

yeah susie – we’ve got to have those thoughts out there to stimulate the universal energies to help bring about changes in other peoples thinking – one day

It’s the 500 monkey principle at work:metal:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.