Aussies Living Simply

Maybe a really really dumb question

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Maybe a really really dumb question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    froot_loopzfroot_loopz

but anyway

I want to grow beans, that I can slice, like you find in the frozen veg section

Ive just looked at a heap of seeds on ebay, and Im confussled, lots have large beans inside the pods, are they the same and just left for longer to grow

Id prefer a climbing one.

So even if my question is dumb, could you please help me :shrug:

mudhenmudhen

I’ve grown the purple king climbing ones quite successfully. They go green when you freeze them and they are a nice eating bean. The snails and slugs love them too however, and when I was away they ate my vines right up! I should give them another go, really.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I have grown “lazy housewife” beans for quite a few years now. They are nice, prolific, easy to save seed each year etc. I have to admit it can be difficult to see the beans as they are green and blend in with the stems. You really need to pick them each day or two to keep them producing well so it kind of matters when you miss some. I am starting to think that a purple type would be better as they would be easier to see.

If I were you I would pick a bean you like the look of then do a quick google search to see if it is a good eating bean or a dry bean (or ask here about that variety as many of us have grown a few types of beans).

Edit to add: I didn’t really answer your question about large beans in the pods. Basically it depends on the type of bean. Most likely the beans you see on ebay or wherever have been left longer to produce ripe seeds, but there are some types that grow large beans in the pods that are used as dry beans for soup. I pick the lazy housewife beans young and they are similar to the frozen beans you get in the shops, if I leave them to ripen the seeds get large.

You could also try runner beans, they are a larger flatter pod, tend to have colourful flowers and seeds, and are also tasty. The only issue is that they tend to cross pollinate with other runner beans in the area (if there are any other types around you, very few people grow anything other than “scarlet runner”) so saving seed could be more difficult if you want to preserve whatever type you have. They will not cross with regular beans, only runner beans.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

thanks everyone

Ive ordered some scarlet runners and I’ll give them ago

also remembered late last night I had actually planted some bean seeds last weekend πŸ˜† cant remember off hand what they were though

mudhenmudhen

Just a heads up about the scarlet runners, I got some seed from Bel this year and have some lovely bean plants with lots of flowers, but apparently they don’t set fruit until the nights are cool again closer to autumn, so we have lots of pretty flowers to enjoy but no beans for a couple of months yet.

SnagsSnags

I grow blue lake,eat heaps and freeze heaps

BobbeeBobbee

There are no dumb questions!

None of us know everything and what we don’t know we need to ask questions. :tup:

We like purple kings, they fruit prolifically and all season, taste great and are easy to see therefore easy to pick.

Are also trying burgundy bush beans this year and they were the only ones of 3 different types planted, that popped up out of the ground fast and are growing on beautifully. Our second planting is now in the ground. Have no idea what they taste like but the blurb says they are yummo and as they are a burgundy colour they should be easy to see to facilitate picking. :tup:

BelBel

Hey fruit-loopz. All beans can be blanched and frozen. It just depends on what you like to eat. As mudhen said, in our climate the scarlett runners don’t set seed until the nights are cooler, so lots of pretty flowers but no beans for a while. I’ve got quite a bit of saved climbing bean seeds – snake beans, rattlesnake beans, blue lake and purple king beans. PM me your addy and I’d be happy to send you some. Rattlesnake are my all time faves – green beans with purple flecks that go green when cooked. They are massively prolific, cope well in the heat, freeze well and have pretty purple flowers. Scarlett runners, on the other hand, develop tough pods very quickly, have a thick string and the beans inside get large, hard and dry quickly. They are nice to have around in autumn, though, when the other beans are fading after the heat is gone.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

do most beans dehydrate well?

thats how I want to store ours.

thanks you Bel, off to pm now, once I find where it is πŸ˜†

chareaveschareaves
    Participant

I think this is the opposite of a dumb question!

I am bamboozled by the seemingly endless variety of beans and peas. french, climbing, runner, sugar snap, snow, peas and beans for freezing like the packs in the shops, etc etc etc.

I wonder if there’s a handy resource which is titled something like Beanboozled.

We’re growing greenfeast peas and sugar snap peas. I think one’s for freezing (or eating) and the other is for putting in salads etc.

ruthyruthy

I think most beans will look like the ones in the frozen food section once they have been sliced down the middle and then cut diagonally. Particulary if you give them time to form a bean and not pick them too young. I like the bush beans. They do really well in our climate which is temperate. The purple king struggles in our hot dry wind. We dehydrate beans and they have been fine. I’m not a fan (just personal taste/preference) but if we can’t freeze ’em or pickle β€˜em dehydrating is our next best method of preserving the glut.

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I know it’s a bit sad but I am actually quite fascinated by beans and all their varieties…if I had the room I would grow many more!! At the moment we have three old favourites growing…Scarlet Runners(which appreciate our cool summers), butter beans and Zagreb Soldier…these are all from seed saved from last year so will be interesting to see if they come true to variety, also going to try two new beans…Extender and Actophan which are both bush beans. I think all beans can be dried and used as a ‘dry’ bean but beans that are a dry bean variety, whilst edible at green bean stage are not always the best flavoured. Personally I think frozen green beans are pretty average so don’t freeze any.

We also have broad beans(red and plain flowered) which freeze beautifully and are also used as a fresh or dried bean…known as Fava beans in many cultures. Peas grown are Sugar Snap..eaten as a whole pod steamed or raw, it has a plumpish pod..Snow Peas…a large flat pod also eaten whole, eating pea varieties are Television, Willow and Greenfeast…last year we grew Purple Podded Cayuner (sp?) which is more of a pea for drying rather than eating fresh…it has quite a ‘mealy’ texture when fresh…ordinary peas also freeze brilliantly.

Inspirations garden centre in Tasmania sell many very interesting varieties of beans…website is http://www.vegetableseeds.net.au, they do online and mail order.

BelBel

I’m a big fan of beans too. I’ve found, however, that bush beans are always a failure for me whereas climbing beans do well. I’ve tried butter, borlotti & French bush beans but they all dry & shrivel up before they produce much. Not sure if it’s the hot/dry climate or the clay/alkaline soil or a combo of both…

lostinthefoglostinthefog

Might be your climate Bel…the only reason I don’t grow any climbers(apart from the Scarlet Runners)is pure laziness…I can’t be bothered with bean poles!! I try to grow beans that are a bit tolerant of the cold & pray I don’t get any rogue frosts…the first year we were here ALL our beans were killed in February by frost…not a happy gardening moment…

JinjaJinja

According to an Ag Dept brochure for WA, commercially they use Westralia (has strings) over here but they are starting to grow more Kentucky Blue, which seems to be a popular type in USA from my reading….and it’s described as a ‘high-yielding stringless’ type. They also mentioned Blue Lake but that it’s more prone to rust. The fact sheet said most of the dwarf types are stringless and Jade is a popular commercial type. I was looking for what type they freeze for the baby beans you can buy and the stringless ones in the supermarket…prefer the fresh ones as I like to roast them tossed in a little salt and olive oil. The bush beans can apparently be picked by machine, whereas the ones on trellis, besides needing to be pinned up, need hand picking every few days as I think someone else mentioned. I tried 4 different types this year that I’d had in my seed bucket and something ate the lot over the two days I didn’t look because of work…they came up…I saw them…then gone!… πŸ™ There’s so many types to try though, I’m sure there are better fresh eating ones out there than in the shops and all beans are awesome. :woohoo: Might be worth checking the fact sheet for your area for ideas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.