Aussies Living Simply

Mauzi's place

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Mauzi's place

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    BlueWren

[quote quote=karyn26 post=336610

Oh BW what an honour to have a bunnie named after you.

Absolutely!! I was gobsmacked!!

mauzi

Out of Malua’s litter, we are keeping one for breeding, so that one will be called “Bluey”…and you could follow Bluey’s progress on the blog and of course personal introductions would be wonderful :D: if you get a chance to come and personally visit.

karyn, I mostly now breed within my own programme but I have been wanting to add some British Giant bloodlines to our stock and this one came up from a lady who shows a different breed and keeps the giants for meat. Malua was advertised, and we happened to see it and were going down to that area the next day, so all worked well.

My foundation stock in Tasmania, came from two sources, from one breeder who had performance tested growtech lines (previously crusador lines which were the lines I had in NSW – these are the NZ whites) – these are Millie and Ami, the does and Felix and Bobby, the bucks and the other from a reputable breeder who has mixed lines of California, NZ White and British Giants. Nice rabbits and good litter numbers in both cases. This is Greyling and Candy.

mauzi

We have been busy again at Central Highlands Esperance, the hot house is all but complete (bar doors which are in process) and is now planted out.

This is the inside. The hothouse is double skinned to aid temperature control and now that we have built a number of them over the years, hope we have ironed out all the kinks. We cut popypipe into thirds and used that over the plastic on the outside and screwed into that, as one of the issues is in wind the plastic tears (even with small pieces which is the way we used to do it). On the inside we have used the small pieces as there will be less stress from the wind.

This is the outside. Looking for a close up so will put one up when I find one or take one, whichever happens first.

The ducks are all feathered now and we have some pretty colours from the black barred mum and blue drake. This is one duck from the first Muscovy litter. Very pretty.

The vege garden is coming along now, considering we only moved in very late Sept it is going pretty well.

We have also added to our power system, two more panels and a new battery charger (fork lift charger) which is awesome and means we rarely need to use the generator. Graham has been doing loads of mods but a bit too technical for me to explain.

Piggies are growing out well and the bunnies are breeding away (like bunnies do :D:)

A little suprise for BlueWren. Little bunny BlueWren has been born, very cute indeed and more photos will come when she is out of the nest…but for now….

How is that for cute !!!

Catch up again soon.

helenm

Looking great Mauzi – you have been busy!

How do you water the hot house – do you irrigate? or just handwater?

baringapark

I regularly think about meat rabbits! Do they spend all their lives in raised cages? Can they live on the ground as well? I guess free ranging them is not a great idea, given that they could easily go bush?

How hard are they to process given the cute factor. I am pretty tough, but widdle bunnies? lol

Also what about myxo and calici? We do not vaccinate here, so is it enough to keep them really healthy? Where does one source meat rabbits on the mainland?

Not that I need another project right now, but still…

🙂

BlueWren

ooohhh mauzi! I’m so longing to see baby BlueWren!! That is so lovely of you …….but I’ve just thought ……… will he/she get eaten eventually!!!!!! :jawdrop: Sorry, you said “she” …..so there’s hope!!

Great progress at your place! :tup: :clap:

Bobbee

BlueWren post=338197 wrote: ooohhh mauzi! I’m so longing to see baby BlueWren!! That is so lovely of you …….but I’ve just thought ……… will he/she get eaten eventually!!!!!! :jawdrop:

Great progress at your place! :tup: :clap:

Oh BlueWren what a horrible thought. Bunny BlueWren will have to grow into such a magnificent specimen of rabbitdome that Mauzi will keep her to breed from. :hug:

Wonderful pics as always Mauzi, thank you. :hug:

:hug:

mistyhollows

What lovely pictures Mauzi. I love the bunnies and your hot house is amazing :tup:

mauzi

helenm, at the moment we are just hand watering but DH is putting in a system so it will be much easier. I kind of like hand watering though, gives me time to think and contact the plants.

baringapark, I initially struggled with the cage thing but unfortunately because of calici and myxo it is difficult to keep them on the ground. We have ours in cages above ground, give fresh herbs, grass and hay as well as their normal grain and make sure all are patted daily. They love the attention. I get around the cute factor by making the breeders pets and the offspring while they are well handled, loved and fed a good diet, I do keep the attachment to those minimal…a bit like the piggies really. We have bred calici resistant rabbits and myxo would be a problem more if they were on the ground and contactable by other wild bunnies. Mosquitos are minimal here so that lessens the chance of infection. Funny though, I have talked to breeders who vaccinate and still loose their bunnies, so I have not vaccinated for many years and touch wood, have not have problems yet. I think it is the same, to some degree anyway, that healthy animals fed diverse diets including herbs are healthier and more able to withstand health issues. In terms of efficient meat sources though (not to mention great taste) rabbits are incredibly efficient and nice to work with.

BlenWren and Bobby, rest assured little “BlueWren” will be a stud rabbit, and a very important bloodline, so she will go into the breeding programme and can be followed over the years on her progress, growth, babies etc. Her mother is such a lovely rabbit, I expect she will be as well and can look forward to many years with us.

Thanks mistyhollows, I really love the hothouse and am looking forward to produce and working in it.

BlueWren

Thanks mauzi.That shock/horror was a little – no, a lot – tongue in cheek! Just wondering about the expression on DH’s face when I say “I need to go to Tasmania to meet a rabbit………” I think he does wonder a bit about me already……… :laugh: :laugh:

mauzi

😆 I would love to see his face as well. You could tell him there is a spare double bed as well, so he can come too 😆 Lucky we have understanding husbands I think :D:

BlueWren

mauzi post=338268 wrote: 😆 I would love to see his face as well. You could tell him there is a spare double bed as well, so he can come too 😆 Lucky we have understanding husbands I think :D:

Absolutely! :tup: I couldn’t do what I do without DH’s support , mainly for physical stuff that’s beyond me , and for solving technical problems that are beyond me , most recently re non draining wicking beds!!He knows zilch about gardening,probably couldn’t tell the difference between a cucumber and a zucchini… :kiss: :kiss:

mauzi

Hi All,

I haven’t been around for a bit. Life does get busy sometimes 😆 but thought it was time for a catch up.

All is well at the farm. The polytunnel would have to be the major success of the season. Eight weeks on and we are mostly eating our vegetables out of it. We have built numerous polytunnels over the years, but this one certainly is the best.

The gardens have slowed down now with the last of the plantings for the season complete. DH and DS2 have been making some purpose built storage arrangements so that I could move in my more sensitive plants, some herbs not yet ready to plant out this season and bits and pieces. These are designed to allow plenty of light onto the garden beds and have a top section for purpose built seed trays. So far it is working very well.

We are now culling the excess animals that have not been selected for breeding stock. Why Autumn for this, well as the weather gets colder, the grass diminishes in the paddocks and the insect numbers go down, so holding excess stock through the colder months has no real advantage. The exception to that is “Tornados” the calf as we are implementing a holistic management (managed pasture grazing) program and therefore we need the stock numbers to work the paddocks correctly. I will write some more detail about that on the main site as we go. But basically the cattle are utilised to stomp organic matter (and consequently their poo) into the ground by being restricted to an electric fenced paddock, and then moved on with a significant period of rest for each area before regrazing. The cattle are fed in this area as well, which adds further organic matter. It is a very good tool for improving pastures without adding expensive inputs. The recovery time of the pasture is monitored closely and cattle returned at the appropriate time.

The bunnies are going really well with some really nice quality litters being born. We are currently upgrading their area which is designed to allow for some early morning sun to shine on them and it goes down before the heat sets in (in summer), fixed tin to just above cage height and sliding weather proof curtains above that, so that it can be opened to allow for good circulation without direct breezes (which bunnies don’t like). This gives some sunlight for vit D and general natural sterilisation of cages, great ventilation and protection from the elements at the same time. It is a rustic looking place but certainly for efficiency and well being, is fantastic. We now have enough bloodlines to close the herd, lessening risk of bringing in disease, and a strategy I prefer with bunnies, especially as some bunnies can carry things like calici without showing symptoms themselves. Risky business in the bunny industry.

The ducks did very well over the year. We have kept 12 Khaki Campbell girls (for eggs) and 2 drakes and 8 Muscovy girls and two drakes. We keep two drakes as a back up in case there is a problem with one.

The pigs have grown out well and have recently been put into pig, so we will have lots of good quality free range pork available soon.

We have a bit of a focus on making things at the moment, or at least that is our winter projects and I am writing a number of booklets and working towards a book based on all the knowledge we have learned over the last 20 years. Hopefully this will turn out to be a practical and easy to follow guide to many parts of living a simple, sustainable life and will help others along their particular journey.

So, as you can see, life is busy on the farm, but we would not have it any other way. Catch up again soon.

baringapark

That all sound fabulous! How did your horsey ebook go? I’d love to read it again. I lost my copy when the computer it was on died years ago 🙁

mauzi

Hi E,

Thanks. The horse ebook did quite well when I had it up on the old site but have not put it up on this one yet. I am writing heaps though, so might put it up when I put up the others. I will send you another copy if you like. I came out of retirement recently to judge the rider classes at the Hamilton Agricultural Show. It was a bit of a blast from the past but a really nice groups of riders and horses.

How are your piggies going?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.