Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Mauzi's place

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Mauzi's place

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    sue esue e

they’re beautiful Mauzi! :clap: :clap: maybe you will be ready to adopt(sell) some out sometime in the future?I know of 2 old retirees who will be looking for some duckies (hopefully)in the near future? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

roundthebendroundthebend

Some good hatchings Mauzi :tup: , they are so cute when they are little but doesn’t take them long to get to that gawky stage. Do you eat your ducks?

mauzimauzi

ha! ha! sue, will keep it in mind, might be a welcome to Tassie gift. :D:

roundthebend, we keep the kharki’s mostly for eggs and slug patrol but eat off any excess drakes and we most definitely eat the muscovy’s (all but breeding and replacement/expansion stock anyway). The muscovy meat is delicious. For anyone that has not eaten them they taste very much like veal. Very lean and not gamey like regular duck meat.

weaverweaver

mauzi post=333516 wrote: The muscovy meat is delicious. For anyone that has not eaten them they taste very much like veal. Very lean and not gamey like regular duck meat.

I gave all my drakes to some friends who processed and ate them as I really dont like duck. Next year I will make them dress one and give it back to me so we can have a go at it. I thought it would be just like ordinary duck :sick:

Have you eaten goose???? I have some Pilgrims who are only babies now but are the start of my breeding stock and was wondering what goose was like.

mauzimauzi

Yes, we used to eat our geese regularly. It is quite oily but still very nice. A bit like duck really but not as gamey. Hope that made sense :D: I must say, I prefer the muscovy taste and texture.

mauzimauzi

And the last photo of ducklings for a bit. 31 now and still counting.

These re the new batch, two days old

These are the first batch, now just over two weeks old.

mauzimauzi

You can tell that I have a day off today :D: Some more photos of where we are up to know with the property. We have been here just over three months now. Can’t believe it.

This is the view from the veg patch up to the back of the house.

The back orchard, coming along nicely. These trees are about 6 years old and pruned back hard for the transfer. Part of our old commercial orchard was too wet and was also being removed before we put the orchard on the market, so these trees came up with us.

Our first bed of potatoes.

Isobella and some piglets in their current area.

The pigs in the wallow having a good time.

Our working dog anna, keeping an eye on the piglets

BelBel

Thanks for the udpate Mauzi. Your are doing a great job. Love the pics!

mauzimauzi

Thanks Bel, It is coming along. The animals are all looking great though and we have had a storm tonight so that has freshened everything up and put some more water in the tanks. Still a bit to do with the soil, but that will take time. I had a look at your thread and everything is looking great.

darlsdarls

All looks fab, mauzi!!!

Wish I could steal some of your muscovy ducklings!! cuties!

Keep posting away!

Cheers! :hug:

KristyKristy

Loving the photos Mauzi, ducklings and pigs so cute 🙂

porgeyporgey

mauzi post=333565 wrote: Still a bit to do with the soil, but that will take time.

It all looks great Mauzi, love those ducklings.

What type(s) of soil(s) do you have and what is your improvement strategy?

mauzimauzi

Thanks all.

Porgey, we have a sandstone base (some beautiful rocks that I can’t wait to have time to create something with) and although it is a bit variable mostly ranging between levels of sandy loam. The front has a band of clay mixed in but primarily sandy loam. We have a good amount of top soil with good organic matter but not much biology and deficiencies abundant.

The strategies are a bit mixed for different areas so I will list our ideas.

Overall we are getting two soil tests. One for the vegetable area that we have already done some amendments to and one for the average paddock which will give us a good idea and we can ten tweek for other areas that are slightly different.

In the vegetable area we have done some mineral adjustments based on the type of weeds we had, and our knowledge of this type of soil. We have added some calcium (lime), humated boron granules and nitroK (both nutritech additives), plus some pig (as they were grazing there) and rabbit manures (as available on farm) and some compost and then mulched. From what I can see so far in the deficiences showing in the plants there is still a shortfall of calcium and potassium and perhaps some phosphorus and boron and sulphur will be down as it is the last thing to come into balance anyway. The calcium will take three years to come to fruition anyway but a soil test now will be needed to fine tune. We will also put in green manure crops in autumn and turn in at spring. Oh, I forgot to add that we had kelp included in the compost for the trace minerals. (We have also been doing some foliar sprays until things get going, particularly in the orchard). The strawberries that we are eating at the moment came in at 15 on the brix chart, so pretty good, and were certainly tasty but I expect this was mostly from the foliar sprays rather than the soil at the moment.

In the paddocks (many of which have an abundance of bracken which shows lows fertility) we are doing (and have a 5 year plan) a few different trials. One is with the pigs being moved around, digging up bracken and fertilising,plus the addition of a kelp and perhaps some minerals or extra manure, and then following by reseeding with a suitable pasture mix and adding oats, barley and a legume to that. Other paddocks we will just manure or kelp and maybe direct drill other grasses and in other areas we will basically green manure after the pigs and then trial some different ideas as we go. Along with all that we will be cell grazing the cattle and carefully managing the pastures so as to maximise this as a strategy.

I am not a big advocate of ploughing soil but our biology is minimul at the moment so not too much damage to do and in the long term the area that we will turn may be faster to go this way and add the biology.

Our long term aim is to grow some crops for fodder including vertical crops of hedgerows as well as plant some deciduous trees both as fodder and also as a soil improvement (ever noticed how well grass grows around deciduous trees) and so forth. Lots of plans.

We have started planting some deciduous trees and I am propagating plants for the hedgerows, pigs are already working, the cattle yet have to go into a schedule (we have a few fences to sort first) and not to mention the ducks doing a wonderful job of wondering, aerating and fertilising as they go.

Being a holistic farm we work with a number of strategies, hopefully harmoniously :D: to bring about improvements.

porgeyporgey

Right!

Thanks for the reply Mauzi, you certainly have a knowledgable plan and a lot of rewarding work in front of you.

I only have an acre with a quarter acre food growing area on really sandy soil. The hardest thing is keeping organic matter in the soil/sand as it just seems to disappear after each growing season. Its slowly improving with the addition of lots of compost, animal & green manures, bio char, and any suitable organic matter I can get my hands on. The worm population is slowly increasing which is a good sign and in situ composting works a treat as well.

Best of luck with your considerable adventure.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

It’s all looking and sounding great there, mauzi!

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.