Aussies Living Simply

Maple Trees

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Maple Trees

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JyeJye

G’day,

I was just wondering if anyone here knows much about Maple trees?

Im really interested in getting about 50 – 100 to plant out the driveway of our house and wanted to know if anyone has done something similar?

Id love to know a bit about different varieties and which would be best for a driveway?

I really like the Maple – Autumn blaze and would love a few versions of this tree to mix it up.

Can maples be grown from seed? The cosy of buying a single maple tree is around $60 therefore id love to look at other options. Does anyone have any Acer x freemanii ‘Jeffersred’ Autumn Blaze seeds? 🙂

Thanks heaps

Jye

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

:wave: Jye. We tried plating acer rubrum ‘lipstick maple’ down our drive way but have very heavy clay acidic soil and even with much tlc to the soil and water they died in our summer heat. We ended up replacing ours with crepe myrtles. Like most things it will depend on summer temps and water availability. Ours just couldn’t cope with 36+ temps in summer and westerly winds.

I have a Claret Ash planted and it is growing well though it is watered through our effluent system, so I would think you would need some kind of watering system set up for that many trees. 😉

JyeJye

Thanks heaps for the suggestions! I will check it out 🙂

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Jye, you asked if you can grow them from seed.

I have a lovely japanese maple (don’t know what variety) and each year I look for the tiny seedlings that sprout underneath it and transfer them to pots. Some of them grow well, some don’t make it. I’ve never actually harvested the seeds and tried to grow them myself.

Also have a trident maple that does similar, but as they are huge trees, I don’t bother with them.

If you want to, remind me in autumn when the seeds are on the trees and I can send you some for you to try. They’re slow growers though.

JyeJye

Hi,

Thanks very much for the offer I’ll keep you in mind. Speaking to a few nurseries aparently there very hard to grow from seed and the best option price wise is to go with young rootstock plants but I wouldn’t mind giving seeds a go.

Thanks again

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Send me a reminder about June/July, Jye and I’ll see what I can find.

bushybushy

Unless you live in a climate similar to where maples grow naturally, they dont do well, I’ve tried, and I dont mean just cold winters.

As suggested, claret ashes are brilliant folage, hardy and cheap

JyeJye

bushy post=358787 wrote: Unless you live in a climate similar to where maples grow naturally, they dont do well, I’ve tried, and I dont mean just cold winters.

As suggested, claret ashes are brilliant folage, hardy and cheap

No worries thanks for the advice. Did you get yours from root stock? And I’m guessing it would be similar to maples very hard to grow from seed?

bushybushy

Ashes are very easy to grow from seed, but generally claret ash is grafted onto desert ash stock

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.