Aussies Living Simply

managing red backs naturally??

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals managing red backs naturally??

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mama

I have been bitten by one … and didn’t react (oh, actually, I did, but it was in a positive way … helps with arthritis, same as scorpion venom is being developed to do). The poisons information centre, dial: 13 11 26 … basically told me that the first reaction is pain. If you don’t get pain in four hours, you aren’t going to. If you do … go to hospital, because the pain gets worse before it gets better (and can last a while … the treatment is pain medications!). So … what I learned from that is that pain is the indicator for that spider (the red-back), and at no point was it treated as super-urgent.

As others have said, the common black house spider is a great beast for keeping red-backs away (the common black eats them) … and you only need ONE somewhere around your house (I have mine on the outside of a window … she’s welcome to the space) and there won’t be a red-back in your house!

Daddy-long-legs are those spindly spiders with small bodies and lotsa webs … they are known as one of the most venomous spiders … except for they aren’t dangerous to us because their fangs are so short they don’t have a hope of piercing even a babies skin!

Edited to add, although they are known to be the most venomous spider (a myth that came about because they prey on spiders that are dangerous to humans), the reality is that their fangs are so short (approximately 0.25 mm – average human skin thickness varies from about 0.5mm to 4mm), that they are unlikely to envenom a person. In Adam Savage’s research into the toxicity of the venom, Adam reported that the bite produced little more than a “mild short-lived burning sensation”

Red-backs like quiet, dark places. If you keep your yard trimmed, and don’t leave things lying around for months … and you have a couple or three other types of spiders … they will find somewhere quieter to go.

Sorry … how rude of me! Welcome to Australia :hug:

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Apparently they often bite without injecting venom.

ma post=353237 wrote:

Daddy-long-legs are those spindly spiders with small bodies and lotsa webs … they are known as one of the most venomous spiders … except for they aren’t dangerous to us because their fangs are so short they don’t have a hope of piercing even a babies skin!

None of that is true, daddy long legs venom is very mild and the fangs can and do pierce human skin. http://australianmuseum.net.au/daddy-long-legs-spider

mama

Mukluk post=353253 wrote: Apparently they often bite without injecting venom.

None of that is true, daddy long legs venom is very mild and the fangs can and do pierce human skin. http://australianmuseum.net.au/daddy-long-legs-spider

Mukluk, could you be a little kinder, next time you want to rebut? I did mention that they are “known as” … for a reason. And … their fang structure is uncate, which really does lead to them being unable to bite through skin (unless they get a bit of help!).

Which also leads me to saying that I vaccuum them up … one of THE most annoying, dust-gathering webs ever! :laugh:

Oddly enough, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of research out there on the actually toxicity of the family Pholcidae (not that it really matters, as I said, they are harmless to people).

BobbeeBobbee

Golly another tale gets the ky-bosh!! :S

I too had been told that the daddy long legs has the most powerful venom of any spider, but that it is so small that the amount of venom injected could not harm a human. A slightly different angle to Ma’s story.

Mind you the information in that link does say that there is no scientific evidence re the powerful venom story, maybe one day science will find the evidence. Science does continually improve and update it’s findings on many issues. That is the nature of science, as I understand it.

🙂

AirgeadAirgead

Bobbee post=353287 wrote: Golly another tale gets the ky-bosh!! :S

The Mythbustes did this one back in 2004 – Can the venom of a daddy Long Legs kill a human. Result – Myth Busted.

I seem to remember that a very arachnophobic Adam Savage was placed in a whole tank of them at the end of the episode and was bitten several times.

Cheers

Dave

BobbeeBobbee

No wonder I didn’t know about it, Myth Busters is one show I refuse now to watch, bores me almost to tears. :sick:

And so I miss out on all sorts of bits and pieces like that one. :shrug:

But thank you for telling us Dave, and I think someone else did to, so thanks to you to but obviously I didn’t give it much credence first up. :blush:

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.