Aussies Living Simply

managing red backs naturally??

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals managing red backs naturally??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    patrice

Hi, I’m new to australia and have just moved into my new home in Perth and am quickly becoming overrun by redbacks. I am desperately trying to stave off my visiting father from spraying them but we are a bit scared with small kids around and no idea what else to do, all opinions and advice welcome

Anonymous

g’day patrice,

this a bit way out, but encourage other web spiders around might look untidy at times. usually those black and brown house spiders you see around.

the red back won’t fight for a nesting site, that simple

the only other way find a red back use twig the twirl spider and web and eggs into sort of ball and burn the thing. non chemical way and gives encouragement to those other spiders to move in.

kill the spider kill the eggs

len

patrice

Len, that’s very helpful thank you so much, are there any other ‘harmful to human’ spiders around Perth i should not be welcoming as a house guest?

BlueWren

Welcome to Australia ……… and more bitey’s than you’ve possibly ever met before, but don’t stresss too much! :hug:

I don’t often advocate spraying but red backs can be nasty with little kids around poking their fingers everywhere, or for adults too of course.In a new property with an infestation I would call in the pest people , perhaps just the once , to gain a bit of conrtol , and then remain vigilant thereafter.

Also, keep the yard free of clutter , and check under garden chairs regularly.

I would imagine there could be other spiders to look out for in Perth – Oz is spider heaven!

Do you have somewhere where you could move out while the spraying was happening? I know it’s tricky weighing up the pros and cons of spraying.

Anonymous

yeh like blue wren says, if you have lots the up high ones not so bad but down low where kids might get to, squish them, yep either put all toes away of before using check all all outside toys and furniture.

not sure about perth, sydney famous for its funnel web’s

check the big hardwares if needed you may be able to buy a spray you can use yourself

len

I think white tails are a Perth spider. They cause necrosis.

dierich
    Participant

plenty of white tails in Adelaide too!

Metu

The good news is, many of these spiders actively avoid humans. When we first moved to our new property, there were so many redbacks. Outside mostly, but we did find a few inside too. They got squished, simply instinct told us to. We had a young child from the age of 4 living here.

What I have found with redbacks though, is they often populate newly vacated (and often sprayed) residence. It’s because (as len said) there’s no competition. The harmless Daddy Long Legs won’t tolerate redbacks. Neither will many of the harmless grey house spiders. So if you have these, if you squish or spray, you’ll end up back to square one where the redbacks come in.

We noticed after the first season the redbacks got fewer – not just inside but outside too. We noticed a healthy population of wasps that would cature the spiders and bury them inside their mud nests. Lots of the little birds would fly under the eaves of our bullnose verandah, to capture these juicy morsels too.

Which is why you will find most poisonous spiders attempt to stay out of sight. Something is always trying to eat them! If they see something coming, they duck for cover. The biggist issue with redbacks is finding them in your shoes. We always shake ours before putting them on.

Unlike many of the poisonous snakes in Australia, spider venom (while potentially lethal) isn’t very quick to move through the system. Symptoms of extreme pain at the bight site and severe nausea are often first clues, and unless you live a long way from medical care, chances are you can get to the hospital in time. Unlike a snake bight, which can be lethal if swift medical attention (and a completely immobile patient) isn’t happening.

One of the things we purchased when we first moved to our property were snake bight kits. We have two, that way one can always remain in the house (where we know where to find it) and the other can go with us if we’re going to walk through some difficult terrain. Snake bights are more urgent than spider bights, though both not exactly pleasant experiences.

You’ll be happy to know I’ve lived in Australia for over 38 years and thus far, have not been bitten. Which includes growing up in the Northern Territory, where redback spiders (and crocodiles) were notorious. That doesn’t mean I can never be bitten, but deaths in Australia due to spider bights are rare. Do a lot of research on them (either borrow books from the library or do an internet search) and learn how to manage their natural outlook on big preditors. They see us as potential preditors, and generally only bight if accidently trodden on, or if they feel cornered.

Truly, it’s been my experience though, if you spray for spiders you kill them all (not just the redbacks) and they are always the first to move back in. Spiders will always come inside. You want to get the redbacks natural preditors settled in, to keep them at bay. I have not seen a redback inside for many years. Our first year in a new house, is when we saw them the most. Now we welcome the Daddy Long Legs and house spiders. We vaccum for their webs about once or twice a year, but the Daddy Long legs are quick to get away when they see the nozzle.

I think you’re doing the right thing, trying to research more information. I wouldn’t say no to spraying if you felt it was necessary, especially if you have littlies on the floor. Our daughter was four when we first moved here, so while she enjoyed being on the ground to play, it wasn’t her only territory either. We always made sure to educate her about spiders and snakes when she was old enough too. There are many reptile parks around Oz that give information sessions during demonstrations. The snake talks are fun for older kids age 5 onwards, and they may even get to touch a python, but it also teaches them the boundaries.

I’m not sure if there isn’t a parent born in Australia, who doesn’t say to their kids before they go outside to play or put on their shoes, “check for spiders”. I was raised with that slogan and my daughter was raised with it too. You get to say it less as they get older, because it’s well and truly cemented in their minds. 😉

Wombat

Hey Gang!

for the first time in a looooong time we found a redback inside. It was climbing up the pantry door and freaked Mrs Wombat out more than somewhat. I squished it quickly and that was that. We have no little ones any more so outside is fair game but inside is mine!

Nev

Oh, and welcome to AUS Patrice, where do you hale from?

Snags

My brother got bitten by a red back in Perth nothing happened.

He went to the Dr and he said if something happens go too the hospital ,nothing happened.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Snags post=349946 wrote: My brother got bitten by a red back in Perth nothing happened.

He went to the Dr and he said if something happens go too the hospital ,nothing happened.

I have heard of similar story’s Snags.. I think we would all differ with our reactions to the redback venom, just like not all of us react to bee’s & ant bites/stings..

I grew up with a lot of nasties around as a child… one thing is for sure, I have developed a healthy respect for them. Educating & being mindful of there whereabouts is an important part of growing up

fruitful

the above advice is excellent and I have just one thing to add:

it also helps if you learn to recognise the redback web, it starts off wide at the base and looks a bit like an eiffel tower, in that it has a long strand that slants in toward the wall (or whatever structure it is made near) and reaches a fair way up. I’ve located quite a few by their webs and then it is just a matter of being vigilant and waiting for the spider to show itself, often when it is quiet and SQUISH, problem solved. Teach your children early to recognise both the web and spider, not instilling fear but more of an awareness and they will probably surprise you by locating a few – ours did over the years in the different houses we have lived in.

Hope you enjoy your new life in the country and welcome to ALS!!

jaydatoo

Daddy Long Legs did the job for us. We had an infestation of red backs for a couple of years running. The first year my brother in law was visiting from Belgium and he was horrified that we just ignored them! We have an exclusively reclaimed brick and timber house so they just fit right in. He started to squish them with vengeance and we actually laughed at him when he said just wait until next year when you have baby red backs EVERYWHERE! And sure enough we did. So then we started to remove webs from outside (the webs are quite insignificant so often were left) and if felt comfortable enough, removed any red backs we found inside, to out in the paddocks to find a new life for themselves.

And then the daddy long legs moved in. And we very rarely see a red back in the house or even outside now.

Now I feel like I have a daddy long legs problem. I suck them up with the vacuum every few days. They are very proficient web creators so it’s only a visual issue fortunately!

mistyhollows

The only bit of advice I can offer to the wonderful advice given above after a big :wave: Welcome to Oz is to go to the chemist and purchase an antihistamine that stops swelling and put it in your medicine cabinet.

I was bitten by a spider when getting the washing about 5 years ago (still don’t know what type of spider) but I have never had such pain, it hurt for 6 weeks. My leg swelled up within minutes and I felt horrible. The itch is unbearable and the only thing the dr told me to do was take an antihistamine for the itch and swelling.

Not all reactions are like the one I had and everyone reacts differently, it was not nice though. Since then, I do have the house occasionally sprayed (maybe every few years) if the numbers of spiders around the place get out of hand.

Xio

Years ago a neighbour who was 80+ got bitten by a redback whilst gardening. I happened to be in my garden at the same time & we both saw the spider. She went up to her house put some metho on the bite, had a cup of tea & was back in the garden about an hour later.

2 years ago my wife was bitten by a redback. About 2-3 hours after she wasn’t feeling well so I took her to the hospital about an hour away. She spent the next 2 days there.

I treat them with respect & if I see them, I despatch them.

Xio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.