Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Making Water Kefir Vinegar

Home Forums HOMEMADE Brewing and winemaking Making Water Kefir Vinegar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mudhenmudhen

It was hard to decide where to put this thread! A while ago when I gave away some water Kefir, Fruitful suggested she might try making vinegar with it to save on buying vinegar for cleaning purposes. There is very little info on the web about this, and I have been trying it out myself. My kefir was left on the counter when I went on holidays recently and I forgot to give the kids who stayed home any instructions about it. When I got back I found it had formed a bit of a skin on the surface and this continued to form for the first couple of ferments. In the end, I saved one lot, mixed in some apple juice and have left it to sit on the counter with a cloth on the top and continue to develop (without the grains). It’s been about a week now and the vinegar smell is quite strong. The skin on the top looks disgusting, with bubbles in it, but definitely not mouldy. I thought I’d leave it for a month and see how it goes.

Has anyone else tried this? Is there some special thingamajig I need to test the acidity or does that even really matter? I’m not particularly interested in eating it, but would love to be less dependant on buying white vinegar from the shop for cleaning and laundry use.

BobbeeBobbee

Hi mudhen :wave:

Sorry I can’t help you, but I will be watching this thread with interest.

🙂

mudhenmudhen

Thanks, Bobbee! Are you still making kefir yourself? My milk kefir needs to be revived but the water is going strong, I’ve been able to give heaps away and still have plenty for my family. If the vinegar works, which I think it is, could easily keep myself well supplied with vinegar as well.

BobbeeBobbee

Yep I’m still a kefir fanatic!

I recently revived my water kefir also, it is a very forgiving medium to work with I find. I seem to be able to bend and break most of the rules and both milk and water kefir just keep on doing their thing. :shrug:

I am now resting my water kefir to try to encourage it/them to grow as I still have the same amount I started with some years ago.

Sure don’t have that problem with the milk kefir grains though.

I am very interested in the concept of making kefir vinegar, it sounds such a good idea. :tup:

🙂

fruitfulfruitful

Hi mudhen,

Those grains that I got from you died when I accidentally let them be contaminated with our rainwater – in spring the pine tree pollen mucks up our water and kills everything, even the fish we have had in the past. I’m glad you are giving the vinegar a go, a few times I forgot about my brew and it smelled quite vinegary but it never got to the stage that yours has. I shall await your results with interest.

mudhenmudhen

Would you like some more grains, Fruitful? I have another lot to give away now. Last time I advertised on Freecycle and had heaps of interest, this time I’ve got a few from there who are wanting some, but I have more than enough. Last night I was REALLY tired and went to bed very early, forgetting my second ferment on the kitchen counter. It was extrememly fizzy this morning and one bottle was close to blowing up!!

fruitfulfruitful

perhaps I will take you up on that offer mudhen, let me get myself organised enough to send that stamped self addressed envelope. I’m thinking your second ferment wasn’t the vinegar trial?

KristyKristy

I’m keen to watch this as well. Sadly my water kefir grains and milk grains dies. I wasn’t so keen on the milk kefir, but the water kefir was good. I only stopped because I started working on a mine site and no one is 100% that there is no alcohol in it.

I’d be very interested if you can make vinegar with it mudhen…

mudhenmudhen

Sorry not to get back to you all sooner. My water kefir vinegar has been a success! I had a mother form on the surface of the liquid almost immediately and it has become quite solid. The initial bottle I started is exactly a month old today and I am ready to start using it. I’d still like to know how to test the acidity level but haven’t had much time to research that properly.

Kristy, I understand your reluctance to drink the kefir in regards to the alcohol content. You could still have it at the end of a shift or before bed tho! I advise my kids on their P plates not to have any if they think they will be driving that day. No matter what I have done, or not done, I have not been able to kill my grains. They are still growing despite being neglected! So if you would like some more, just let me know, I still have plenty. And I know what you mean about the milk kefir taste – it is quite different. I’d like to get back to it, we used it in baking sometimes and it was good in smoothies – my daughter loved it!

Fruitful, I’m sorry to not have replied earlier. I would be happy to post you some grains if you want to pm me your address. And no, the second overly fizzy ferment wasn’t my vinegar trial – I use grolsch style bottles for that.

I will start another vinegar jar soon and will take photos to put up here.

BobbeeBobbee

Bouncing this thread.

:(|)

jos74jos74

Hi everyone, I am interested in the water kefir. Do you have a recommendation for where to buy some? I have tried my local health food stores and they had never even heard of it before!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.