Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Make your own meat chickens????

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Make your own meat chickens????

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

looks a bit of a mixture? are his legs scaley? might have scaley mites (some oil painted over his legs for a bit may help)

gremmblesgremmbles

That rooster looks like an Isa Brown or similar. It’s care to get a rooster as commercial layers are sold already sexed but the odd male slips through.

You can eat any chook you like but for us it has to meet a few criteria. It must have an acceptable carcus size, it must taste good and I prefer it to have white not yellow skin (cosmetic I know). We also wanted a bird that earned it’s keep ie was easily saleable. So we chose the Australorp. We have tried a number of breeds and crosses and they are by far the best tasting. Also we can sell the hens easily for a good price and eat the roosters.

And by choosing to keep purebreds, you are assisting in preserving traditional breeds of poultry.

becd54becd54

Has anyone had any experience with Plymouth rock chickens?

HobbyFarmFunHobbyFarmFun

Yes, I keep Plymouth Rocks, and a few other breeds. We’ve found they are a little on the slow growing side, but they do grow out to a good size in the end. I don’t feed them anything special, so if they were fed a broiler mix they might do better faster – I just do the commercial starter, then grower, then layer pellets until they look like they are ready, at around 20-25 weeks. I also keep Light Sussex, and by the looks of the up and coming roo I’ve got there, they might be even better yet as a layer/broiler breed. I’ve found my light sussex girls to be not too bad layers and this roo is getting huge! I am also playing around at the moment with crossing some of my birds to acheive a better layer and bigger meaty male.

becd54becd54

is anyone on here from WA? and know where I can get these breeds a bit cheaper than $15 for day old chicks unsexed?

HobbyFarmFunHobbyFarmFun

Have look on the Backyard Poultry website, you can always put up a wanted ad there or check the breeders directory. It’s a pity you’re not closer, I sell my unsexed day olds for $5 each!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.