Aussies Living Simply

Losing weight – the best way???

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Losing weight – the best way???

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Melissa

not really scary its all done laprascopically and you are only in hospital about 3 days my sister had it done 3 years ago and looks fantastic she lost a whopping 68kgs and i have a friend here in quirindi who had her lapband done in april this year and she is looking great also not sure how much weight she has lost but its very noticeable

i still have about 5 months to wait as im using my private health fund to fund it and i have to wait until i have been in it for one year so end of march cant come quick enough for me

i dont know that things like weight watchers works for many people but im the type that loses weight and then i tend to slip into old habits and i gain it all again my middle name is yo yo πŸ˜‰

i think its a very individual thing what works for some doesnt work for others so sometimes its trial and error

there are drugs on the market that can aid in weightloss like Reductil,

Xenical, and Duromine (hard to get off some docs) works really well but its very rapid and once you stop takling it its very easy to lapse trust me i have tried 2 of the 3 mentioned and im still overweight,

in the last 3 years ihave lost probably 30 or so kilos but i have gained it all back and some ( i find that if you lose 20 you gain 30)

But what ever road you take to lose weight good luck make sure you have a good support network as encouragment goes along way :clap:

Robyne

I went to weight watchers years ago and lost all the weight I put on plus a years lot of money and it all came back on. I’m normally a size 12-14 but since the op I have gained up to a 14-16.

My friend put me onto a doctor in the US and found him to be very good. you can down load his diet its a vegan from http://www.drmcdougall.com

Hehas a monthly newsletter that has really good recipes made by his wife.

The diet is for 12 days and you loose weight as you cut out dairy, eggs,oils,white rice, white flour, coffee, soft drinks, cerals that are refined mainly man made products and go back to nature and organic food.

he gives you a list of vegetables and fruit to eat some I can’t find here maybe someone might know what soursop is Here in SA its a weed with a yellow flower. the other fruit I couldn’t find were Carambola, cherimoya, pummelo, jicama, cocozelle, daikon. I asked at the local fruit shop and they said it might have another name

HobbyFarmFun

Robyne wrote:

the other fruit I couldn’t find were Carambola, cherimoya, pummelo, jicama, cocozelle, daikon.

I don’t know all of them, but Carambola is starfruit, I think cherimoya is custard apple, pummelo is a giant grapefruit thing, and daikon is a type of enormous white radish (popular in asian cooking).

I am so in on joining this thread. Read it last night and decided to start from today. Have joined the calorieking website and will be trying to do at least 30 mins daily walking and sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet. This has worked for me in the past, just fell off the walking bandwagon for the last few years and all the weight came back in a hurry! Once the weight was gone, it stayed gone as long as I stuck to walking. The hard part for me is making it a part of my daily routine and doing it no matter what. When I stopped because I had an extemely busy and stressful few weeks, it was easy to find excuse after excuse not to go back to daily walking. 15 excess kgs later, it is definitely time to start again!!!

ali_celt

Wowsers talk about an overwhelming response!

This is really good info, thanks everyone!

Counting calories is not something I reckon I could easily do – time-wise I am limited (in case you didn’t all notice!) and whatever time I have left is probably better spent walking or gardening or something than trying to do maths.

However – I do have a general concept of what I should and shouldn’t eat, and portion sizes etc. I’m just having real trouble making it all work for me!

However! It aint gonna stop me trying. Tonight’s dinner – lamb chop and salad. And a slice of wholemeal bread. (can’t home-make it coz SOMEONE through out the spinny whats-it from my breadmaker….)

I’m having a tupperware party on Saturday night. I will not be following a strict diet regime – tis a cocktail party LOL – but it is my intention to hopefully get myself some of those fridge containers that they SAY you can store pre-cut vegies in without them going manky.

Given I’ll be hitting the markets early Saturday morning to buy lots of nice organic local carrots and celery and other goodies, it is my plan to spend an hour or so once a week slicing and dicing vege sticks and storing them pre-done in my fridge so I’ve always got something quick and very easy and tasty to snack on/eat whenever I’m hungry.

This should save me buying crud at work, and also stop me being hungry at night.

Hommous – did you know I reckon I could eat a tub of hommous with a spoon for lunch everyday and eat nothing else!! LOVE the stuff! I used to make it a lot and eat it a lot – I should do this again, yeah? High protein and all that – and only a little bit ov olive oil in the home-made stuff really coz I like it real tangy and put lots of lemon juice in there to make it runnier.

I think I could probably live on hommous and vege sticks alone if I get organised enough!

Breakfast will still be an issue, because I HATE eating in the morning, nauseates me. But this morning round 11 I got hungry so I ate a bowl of Sultana Bran, which tided me over really well. Maybe if I get the not eating late thing down pat I’ll end up moving the hungry at 11 closer to hungry at 6.30 or something.

Thanks heaps everyone! Loads of excellent tips and I’m sure I’ll be re-reading this thread lots over the next .. um… well…. forever probably!

Roquen

Plenty of great advice here! I’m a personal trainer so if you had any specific questions let me know!

lollie3

I wish I could loose the weight and get under 100kg (that would be great)atm i am 114kg and according to the BMI I am 39.45 according to the chart I am OBESE!!!! I have tried every diet under the sun to no avail the most I lost was 5kg but then it all came back. I would love to lose about 20kg.

Erthgirl

In ayurveda they say a glass of warm water with fresh grated ginger (about half tspn), juice of a lemon and about 1/2 tspn of honey REALLY gets the digestive fire burning. Have first thing in the morn:hug:, as soon as you get up. Then have breakkie 15mins to half hour later

I’m not much of a ‘morning person’ and didn’t stomach breakfast at all well. I started this about 6wks ago…and after a week of doing it… I was so ready to eat breakie.

Gianna

Ali, I used to boil up a whole pile of vegetables together (any/all vegetables) mix fried onion through them to make them tastier and eat as much of them as I wanted with left overs in the fridge for snacking on. Very filling. :tup:

lefty

Hi Ali, As a serial dieter for more years than I care to admit I can honestly say the answer for me was to join Sure Slim. I have dont the weight watchers (life time member!) the meal replacements, John Gabriel, the cabbage diet, etc etc etc.

I kind of did sure slim as a last resort and have to admit was a bit sceptical at first and it was a bit pricey although it works out to $20 a week which isn’t too bad.

First it is a one to one thing, they take a blood test and based on the results (insulin, uric acid and stuff) you get a personalised meal plan. All fresh food – no diet anything. The big thing is that there is only 3 meals a day and 5 hours break in between!!! I thought it would be really difficult but it wasn’t because the meal plan is such that you are full – low GI food so sustained energy.

You start off with a quickloss plan to kick start your metabolism and then move on to a lifestyle program. I lost 16kgs in 12 weeks and have maintained that loss for over 12 months – first time ever!!! I will never ever ever ever put it back on because my metabolism is working again. I am not fanatical but certainly live by the five hours between eating and it works for me!! (sorry for the rant – I just think it is the best) I am happy to give you more info – PM me if interested.

cheers

glenda

John and Zoe

lefty wrote:

Hi Ali, As a serial dieter for more years than I care to admit I can honestly say the answer for me was to join Sure Slim.

Hi Glenda & Ali

Zoe used the Cohen’s Diet on which I believe the Sure Slim system is based. She lost around 30kg over 5 months.

http://www.lifestyleclinic.com.au/

Over time, Zoe had tried some of the other alternatives, such as Weight Watchers but didn’t have much success keeping the kg’s off. She is really happy with the results she got with the Cohen’s Diet and has managed to keep her weight within her target range.:D

Regards

John

Melissa

Zoe used the Cohen’s Diet on which I believe the Sure Slim system is based. She lost around 30kg over 5 months.

they hod one of these in tamworth and many people i know used it but it closed down and just about everyone who did the cohens diet have all gained their weight back i hope that zoe has better success keeping it off

John and Zoe

Melissa wrote:

they hod one of these in tamworth and many people i know used it but it closed down and just about everyone who did the cohens diet have all gained their weight back i hope that zoe has better success keeping it off

Hi Melissa

I’m built like an anorexic ferret so I’m not an expert on dieting πŸ™‚ but, while Zoe was doing the Cohen’s diet, one thing I noticed was the strictness of the program. She needed to measure everything out to exact portions. As part of the diet, Zoe had to do a ‘refeeding program and, on occasion since then (largely due to me leading her astray), she has gone back onto the refeeding bit to regain control of her weight (think I’ve explained that bit correctly:geek:). I suppose what I’m saying is that, from watching Zoe, the Cohen’s or any other dietary program requires iron disipline and Zoe has that in spades.:tup: Wish I did too.:shy:

Regards

John

lollie3

Lefty,

I tried Sure Slim too but it did nothing for me the food was always the same EEGS EGGS AND MORE EGGS with not much else in variety in the end I got sick and tired of the same thing day in day out and it even put me off eegs for a good 18mths before I even had another egg in a meal. I only lost a total of 4kg in the time i was there

Depome

Flea, do you mean 100g of protein category food, like meat, fish, legumes, rather than 100g of protein?:confused: I’m pretty sure we only need 20-ish grams of actual protein per day.

My target is to eat protein at each meal to stop the hungries. I also find I’m a late eater by choice and I eat few meals and none of this helps me. I’m a bit like Ali I suppose. I can skip meals all through the day then eat an enormous meal at 7-8pm. It’s the opposite of what we should do and I frequently find myself going from fine to starving with the shakes in a few minutes. My habits are borne out of never sitting still and always wanting to do something else. I suspect you’re similar Ali. I will be glad when food is simply a pill that we all take every day!

Bubba Louie

Whatever you choose it has to be something you can stick with. No diet plan will keep weight off if you revert to old habits.

I’m a lapsed life time Weight Watchers member. I’ve lost heaps of weight twice now but I couldn’t stick with it and now I’ve put it all back on plus more.:(

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.