Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

loopy chook?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jrlvrx2jrlvrx2

I noticed one of my chooks today doing a strange neck turn to the right followed by walking in a circle. She did this repeatedly when walking around the pen. She has never done this before. Is it a symptom of something?

IdunaIduna

Does someone want to confirm that it could be crookneck / limber neck? I guess finiding out the breed of the chicken might help to find out if it could be…..

jrlvrx2jrlvrx2

I have been watching her more closely since earlier this morning and her right eye seems to be half closed. On closer inspection it is a little dry on the bottom eyelid. She is an Isa Brown by the way.

Doesn’t sound good. I would isolate her from the other chooks, in case it’s catching. Will look up my chicken health handbook later and get back to you.

P

Doesn’t sound good. I would isolate her from the other chooks, in case it’s catching. Will look up my chicken health handbook later and get back to you.

P

AshramAshram

She hasn’t been listening to the Rolling Stones has she? Sounds a lot like that Mick Jagger move! :metal:

bindibindi

Sounds like limber neck…well, that is she sounds like what our silkie chick looked like when she had limber neck. What breed is she? The chickens with puffs and crested birds are particularly prone to getting it due to a hole in their scull where their brain pokes out – as it is unprotected they can suffer brain damage more easily. Another reason for limber neck, apparently, is lack of Vitamin E. We fixed our chick by giving her liquid Vit. E capsules three times a day in a syringe. We also gave her physio on her neck as often as possible. I’ll try and look up some of the links we used for you. Maybe you could pop over to backyard poultry? There is a lot of info on different problems on there and you may be able to find out exactly what is wrong,

Bindi

bindibindi

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=casestudiesemergencies&num=1160927052&start=0#1160927052

I think this is one of the links we used on BYP…

But unfortunately I can’t seem to find the physio one, which I believe helped the chick more than the vitamin E… know it might sound a little silly:lol:chook physio and maybe a bit crazy, but it worked!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.