Aussies Living Simply

looking for motivation

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden looking for motivation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    LinaLina

I absolutely love my garden and enjoy putting things in and looking after it.

But since we had flooding rain here it washed away the mulch and the garden is a haven of weeds as tall as me.

In the weeds I do have some things growing that survived the masses of rain.A lot of things I put in did not do any good but there are some survivors.I don’t know how they will do though.Mainly pumpkins.

Now to clean it all up and put in a winter garden.

It seems too hard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

GumnutGumnut

Hi Lina, Maybe mark out what has survived and attack the rest with the whipper snipper? Lay some mulch on top too? Just try to think of all the lovely goodies to come and what wonderfully hardy plants they must be to have survived (definitely good seed saving material!) Planting suggestion would be some colourful beetroot, kale or cauliflower 🙂

LinaLina

Yes I think it is going to be a whipper snipper job!

Hope we aren’t too late for the planting for winter.

Thanks for your suggestions.I love beetroot.

WombatWombat

No no no no no no no NO!

Surround the area with chook wire and star pickets and introduce chooks, or make a chook tractor. They will turn the area into a plantable desert in no time at all!

Nev

BobbeeBobbee

Are you trying to say no Nev?????????????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:hug:

PS: Sounds like a marvellous idea to me Nev. :clap: :clap:

LinaLina

You really think chooks would do it?

df418df418

hell yes!!!!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

absolutely

GumnutGumnut

Chooks would certainly work too 🙂

lisannelisanne

You would need a LOT of chooks in my experience!! I have 3 chooks that free range and a small suburban block and they don’t keep my weeds under control 🙁

lmd80lmd80

Great idea! If ours ever gets out of control or we wish to clean up without concern for losing a plant or 2, we will be putting our chooks in. They may not clean up weeds in a yard but a enclosed vegie garden I think they would. Yours may have enough better stuff in your yard. Mine do a pretty good job of eating everything when given the opportunity.

LinaLina

My fenced garden area is 1/2 acre.I think I would need a hundred chooks to get that under control.And I don’t have that many.I think it might have to be the whipper snipper or the tractor slasher.Trouble is the things that are still growing.

WombatWombat

lisanne post=339563 wrote: You would need a LOT of chooks in my experience!! I have 3 chooks that free range and a small suburban block and they don’t keep my weeds under control 🙁

Yup!

The trick is to keep them confined on a couple of square metres then move them on once the area is desertified. It works, we do it all the time. The more chooks the quicker they do it!

nev

LinaLina

You do it all the time?

Well I am considering what you suggest.

Will talk to hubby about how we can implant this.

lmd80lmd80

Do you have a portable cage thing for this? You have given me an idea and the other half a new project lol. Our chooks are great escape artists and like to go visit the neighbours!! Rather then the acre in our yard! I would like to let them around more of our yard but we don’t have a gate in this particular space and there are some dogs that roam the neighbourhood!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.