Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Long term food storage supplies Australia

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Long term food storage supplies Australia

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Has anyone used a food sealer for wheat? Just thinking that you could seal up a smaller amount and would only have to open what you needed instead of a huge bucket full :shrug: . How much would you seal up at a time?

SnagsSnags

From what you see of people storing grains on youtube they have hand held re-sealers

so open the bucket pull out what you need and reseal.

Or get smaller buckets

There is talk of grains lasting upto 20 years when properly sealed does anyone know if the wheat germ oils go rancid in that time???

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I guess I’m thinking lack of electricity would mean not being able to reseal the bags hence the smaller bags. It would mean purchasing a few but I wonder if it’s an option. :shrug:

SnagsSnags

Even the 3rd world has power its just not as reliable.

Australia has plenty of coal and gas to run power stations.

It would take a failure of government anarchy Mogadishu warlord style ,but even they have some power.

Im not prepping for that kind of scenario

and if it did come to that,I would just change my diet to more hunter gatherer and remove grains and replace them with legumes root crops meat and veg.

RobyneRobyne

My son is looking at a solar panel for kitchen tools. I will let you know what he thinks of it.

At our local market is a guy who makes fruit juice drinks with a blender that runs off a push bike. Might turn my old one into it as well as my grinder and put the grand kids to work.

I found this writing about prepping I thought you might like

If you haven’t been prepping spiritually and mentally in terms of strengthening your belief system, skill set, knowledge and mental fortitude, then you are not merely another mouth to feed. You are serious liability to the safety of me and my loved ones.

Everyone around us is either an asset or a liability.

If I have taken the time to trian, educate, drill, and practise life saving skills and you require extra attention, time or other consideration then you have invited yourself into my sanctuary, are comprumising the safety and well being of those who HAVE prepared.

One might whine about ” wheres the fairness in you having so much and I have none?”

But I say where is the fairness in me paying the price of peace and self reliance and allowing your lack of doing so compromise or even destroy all that I have done.

There was more writing but I thought this part was and is what we are talking about

Its on the preppers blog from http://www.doomsdaypreppers.com

diannedianne
    Participant

Snags post=342342 wrote: Even the 3rd world has power its just not as reliable.

It would take a failure of government anarchy Mogadishu warlord style ,but even they have some power.

and if it did come to that,I would just change my diet to more hunter gatherer and remove grains and replace them with legumes root crops meat and veg.

but how are we getting said coal?? it takes alot of oil to run those big rigs used to get it out of the ground, and to the power plants :shrug:

caddiecaddie
    Participant

How true, makes me even more keen on renewables!

RobyneRobyne

A friend gave me a good web site to chack out. http://www.squawkfox.com it has lots of ideas for saving money etc

SnagsSnags

dianne post=342458 wrote:

Even the 3rd world has power its just not as reliable.

but how are we getting said coal?? it takes alot of oil to run those big rigs used to get it out of the ground, and to the power plants :shrug:

Im not a fan of coal if we could stop digging it and burning it tomorrow it would great but…

based on EROI

Energy returned on energy invested, coal is 1 unit of energy in to 80 units of energy out double that of oil at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_returned_on_energy_invested

As for long term grain storage

I believe if there was an energy crisis bought on by PO and government hadnt collapsed

All available oil would be used for what would be termed essential goods and services

Police, Fire, Military,Medical,Government,Water,Sewerage,Power and essential food and grain production and distribution.

Humanity is massively dependant on grains,its cheap energy dense,travels and stores well,the crude oil of the human body.

Without it you would have billions of deaths world wide and the resultant anarchy.

Even during the WW11 rationing in the UK bread was a staple it was heavily salted so it could have a longer shelf life.

cmelaniecmelanie

Interesting thread : )

After MANY years dreaming and planning, we are actually less than a year away from our ‘move to the country’.

I never actually thought that bulk food supplies would end up being such a drama. I have many memories of our bulk food supplies, from when we lived in a remote community – 30 years ago. I figured such things must still be available.

Well, if they are, I’m certainly having trouble finding them : (

I’m not trying to put together food supplies to last years in case of worldwide emergency.

I’m just wanting a 6-12 month supply of basic canned, bottled and dry foodstuffs, to keep us going while plants are growing and we find the best places to source products locally.

We will be in country Victoria. If you could help with a lead or two, our family would be more than grateful : )

btw, obviously Australia has a power supply. I figure those on this site have come far from their roots, if they think everyone in Australia has ACCESS to said power supply. Have you forgotten that many are off the grid, often by choice?

SnagsSnags

My long term food storage is also as a back up.

I aim for 3 to 4 months but in the worst case scenario I think I could go way longer.

It saves me money,it buys me time for things to grow and makes me less dependant on the supermarket.

If I was time poor had tonnes of money and a supermarket down the road and didn’t care about the environment or know about PO or care about organic, home grown food I would shop weekly like everyone else.

As for people who choose to live off grid, that’s great but they still need batteries.

So its really a trade off between paying a electricity bill or a battery bill.

I’m aware it adds up in your favour depending on how many power poles are required etc and the Government rebates.

I dont have a choice Im on grid with solar panels, to go off grid doesnt add up for me.

If I could remove all ties to “The Man” I would, but there is always rates, taxes,insurance and fees.

So you can only do the best you can.

FreddogFreddog

We live off the grid and know its advantages and disadvantages and we also know that electricity is just a convenience but not one of life’s essential items.

It is less than one hundred years since the grid came part of many peoples lives and before that civilisations rose and fell and the earth was colonised. Mind you, no computers then so they had to actually use their brains to figure things out.

If you want food security plant a vegetable garden and some fruit trees, sure as hell beats watching most of the rubbish on the television and it will save you money and surprise, surprise, the food will be better for you than what you purchase in the supermarkets.

zippyzippy

Hiya! I’m LDS and have a year’s worth of flour, grain, plus extra white rice, beans, sugar, cocoa and pasta.

We’re in a small rental so we’ve lots of storage boxes stacked with foil pouches inside!

Each “stake” (an area of about 8 different congregations called “wards”) has it’s own foil pouch sealing machine. Found here.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_10703_10560_21158_-1_N_image_0

So depending on where you are and how organised they are in your area, you may be able to just join in when they’re doing it.

I started up Co-op Stop (see link below) about 8 years ago now, mainly for Church members who struggled to buy enough for food storage (we’ve been encouraged since 1976 to grow a garden and store food for emergencies).

Then I opened it up to the community and it’s exploded! It’s my own thing, not a church related thing.

So anyway, my point is, if you want to use the machine to seal your stuff, let me know where you are and I’ll check which area you fall under and see what the sealing machine action is.

Ginny has bought oxygen absorbers from the site before. Although using them in jars/other airtight containers work for suffocating moths/weevils etc, they won’t last as long without the foil pouch. Still would last at least a year or two fine.

I just opened a foil pouche the other day, 2004. Still sprouted nice 🙂

RobyneRobyne

Granddaughter and I repacked all my flour into 500g bags and sealed them air tight.[ she is getting really good at using the vacuum sealer] They take up less room then in bags. They are ready to go into the 55 l container. Next week I will be doing the dogs biscuits I have 30 kilos to vaccuum seal in 1 kilo lots plus the cats biscuits. I reordered another batch of bags.

Hubby is getting me another 4 X 55l containers form Cheap as Chips for $5 each they come in black, green and hot pink but they are great for stock piling.

My son is a mechinic at one of the mines in WA and the big machines the big truck use 8 gallons per mile. So unless man, goes back to digging by hand or finding another source of fuel, to move the trucks, it will be left in the ground. Then they have to get it to us, so we can use it. Like where my son works, is 500ks from Frizroy Crossing. It would be next to impossible and like he said, if it came to the crunch, he would stay home, with his family as he wouldn’t be able to get back home, to see them.

KristyKristy

Robyne what type of vacuum sealer do you use? Where did you buy it from and where do you get the replacement bags from? That sounds like a great idea sealing them up in smaller sized bags and then storing in a 55L container. Are the containers the stackable ones?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.