Aussies Living Simply

Local producers of meat, preferably organic…

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Local producers of meat, preferably organic…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nlacnlac

Hi all

Well I’ve searched the internet (Ireally have!! for hours!!!) and I am having trouble finding local producers of meat.

I’m looking for local farmers of pork, beef, lamb and chicken, all preferably organic, and/or heritage breeds and grass fed/free range.

I’m looking for better treatment of the animal as well as more sustainable farming practices and lower chemical use/organic.

I’m near newcastle/hunter valley/mid north coast, willing to travel to pick up. Wanting to buy in bulk, expecting to pay more than at the supermarket.

I have some possible suppliers for beef and lamb, but particularly chicken and pork producers I’m having trouble finding.

If anyone knows of any farmers/producers please let me know!

Thanks

TamandcoTamandco

I find word of mouth is the best way to source anything. Try and find any Steiner Schools, Farmers Markets, Permaculture Groups, Food Co-ops, and the like, within a reasonable travelling distance. It’s amazing how much you can organise between groups of like minded people. We have some great self sourced networks in our area. It’s just knowing the right people.

You will probably do well from backyarders wanting someone to go halves in a slaughter. That’s what we do around here. I recently traded one and a half home grown East Friesian lambs for a dozen 6 week old Araucanas. I thought I’d done much better in the trade. But then she did too. It depends on one’s needs as to the worth of one’s produce. Lol!

Often a steer will over flow the freezer of one family, but compliment 2. Some of your best local growers won’t necessarily fit the ‘commercial’ stereotype.

Best of luck! :tup:

BronBron

i’m not sure how close this is to you

http://www.honestbeef.com.au

redhen2redhen2

nlac, have you tried contacting sydney slow food? our local slow food people seem to have contacts with all sorts of producers.

hth

kathy

tipsypixietipsypixie

nlac, I’m sending you a pm with a link that may be helpful. Feel free to put it up here if you think it’s any good. I’m no good at links.

Cheers

C.

tipsypixietipsypixie

There’s also Doraville Organics located at Moorland. Just google the name, they have a half set up website but it does contain contact details. We have a dexter stud halfway between us and town. Next time I’m passing I’ll jot down their name, property name and address and see if we can get a contact number for them.

Cheers

C.

julientuaregjulientuareg

have you tried going through the Ecodirectory site that’s how I found people supplying Perth

nlacnlac

Thanks for all the replies everyone, now I’ve got something to work with!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.