Aussies Living Simply

Living now like the past for the future.

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Living now like the past for the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    JanineJanine

May I say this is an excellent thread, I have been reading and researching doing things the old fashioned way for years but what I have become alamed at over time is that many of htese books are based on what is available now so will be useless should TSHTF. Breadmaking,gardening, home sewing, raising chickens and ducks and thinking about rabbits for meat, all done as simply as possible. One of my keen focuses has been growing, making and educating myself in herbal medicine, I see this as a very bartable trade for the future.

And Greth you are very right, this has to be the first time in history that a person can be self reliant, always in the past one had a specialty so while it is important to be able to do the basics having a bartable skill is very important!

harooneyharooney

I Hope that between my sewing (should really learn to spin and weave too) and DH metalwork skills and good invention skills we should have marketable skills to share. DH is a welder/boilermaker/mechanical engineer by trade but currently works in an office. A few years ago though, he did a blacksmithing course that could be built upon. Although his back isn’t too good these days, he has some knowledge and skills to share with my big broad-shouldered sons I hope.

JanineJanine

I think you have hit the nail on the head there too Harooney, being able to teach our children is vitally important and handing down those skills, I am proud to say I am teaching my children about herbal medicine so that they are learning about what heals as well as what to avoid.

kerripkerrip

I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, but it came to my mind that although community is really important in long term survival, what happens at the start of a disaster? Does everyone join together and help each other out or do they go for the more selfish attitude? In that, do people really act politely, or do they decide that their needs are paramount to others? Do they know that you are growing vegetables and sheep, so they steal them? Do they know that you have some petrol stored or whatever and help themselves? Do you really think that people will be civilised or do you think that protecting your own stuff is really important?

JanineJanine

At the end of the day what would you do to see your family survive? Civilisations don’t appear over night.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

There will always be different personalities no matter what happens. There is now.

It is being prepared and preparing for the un-expected.

The more a community can stick together and help each other, the better off the people will fare. But there will always be those that steal & make things difficult, because they believe it’s their right..

Just MHO 🙂

JanineJanine

You are right Humbug, I’d much rather be one of those prepared and forewarned than waking up in the middle of it.

diannedianne
    Participant

kerrip wrote:

I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, but it came to my mind that although community is really important in long term survival, what happens at the start of a disaster? Does everyone join together and help each other out or do they go for the more selfish attitude? In that, do people really act politely, or do they decide that their needs are paramount to others? Do they know that you are growing vegetables and sheep, so they steal them? Do they know that you have some petrol stored or whatever and help themselves? Do you really think that people will be civilised or do you think that protecting your own stuff is really important?

You only have to look at what happend in Haiti and after Kertrina ( yes I know I cant spell) to see how people are going to act, and it is frightening.

GrethGreth

If anyone tried to steal our veg, they would be sadly disappointed right now, would hardly find half a bucketful of recognisable edibles, unless they could tolerate huge quantities of Rosemary!

I could easily pick a full large wheelbarrow from the same garden at the same time (mostly skipping the Rosemary), the difference is that I know what is edible and tasty, and have some idea how to use it. Then theres bush tucker and roadside weeds, could keep the family fed indefinitely one way or another.

My son knows the locations of at least 10 rabbit warrens within bike distance, too…

The difference is knowledge, any raider would be better off stealing my books and notes!

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

This is where Transition Towns works best. It gets the whole (or majority) of the community ‘reading off the same page’. Everyone has a common goal … that way the risk of people raiding your garden is reduced.

There will always be those *xxxx*s that want more, and in their ignorance, will pull up everything in the garden before they find something they will eat. Reasoning goes out the window when hunger/desperation is at hand.

In a way, knowledge of bush-foods would be very handy. You could have a veritable feast right in front of you, and they not know it.

And I agree with others – unusual skills to trade would be handy too eg blacksmithing … . Make yourself indispensable :geek:

sad part

But how far would you go to protect your own?

Some say that running is better – but then ‘they’ have your house and everything in it. This is the stuff you have accumulated to survive – and now you have nothing. You’ll be as desperate as they are… have a stash very carefully hidden away .. whether that remain in the house, or somewhere on the property. Chances are the raiders will trash the house and move on when there is nothing left for them.. then you can move back in .. for the next time…? :awch:

This is why it would be best for all to prepare, and not rely on the government or anyone else ..

ah well… I feel a chocolate cake attack coming on .. :rol:

RobyneRobyne

When we lived in Tassie my sons went with their school and a friend of ours who did survival camps. They went down the south west of Tassie with what they could carry in.

The boys took dried potato and veggies. As I knew they would have to find food. They learnt a lot from this and I am sure they would use what the mastered on this camp to survive.

Back when Hubby and I were first married in 1973 there was a lot of stirkes. All the supermarkets were empty, no fuel was available except for emergency services and buses. I remember going to our local shops and buying as much flour and yeast, I could, for my mum, so she could make bread. {before I made it myself} Power was also short, as they went on a go slow. It made us realize, that if it happens just how quick stuff moves out of supermarkets.:(

We are so dependand on elecricity. We watched a programme on it once if the power went out. You couldn’t get money as Atms wouldn’t work, Fuel pumps, Water, cooking etc.:jawdrop:

GrethGreth

Has anyone failed to realise that about a third of the world lives like this all the time?

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Has anyone failed to realise that about a third of the world lives like this all the time?

Umm, what is your point Greth ? :shrug:

harooneyharooney

Well, that’s why I think that after TSHTF we will be ok as there are plenty in the world living like this still. In fact, taking with my niece the other day about her world travels I was thinking if you went to a more “primitive” society now, there might be less of a bump later.

harooneyharooney

Well, that’s why I think that after TSHTF we will be ok as there are plenty in the world living like this still. In fact, taking with my niece the other day about her world travels I was thinking if you went to a more “primitive” society now, there might be less of a bump later.

I’m another one that thinks all this super being squirreled away by the govt is not going to be for our benefit. they have admitted already that is was because of the big super funds float that the GFC bump was softened here in Australia.

I’m also recording local “wild ” food etc. I was talking about how to use acorns the other day (there are oak trees not far away) and my Mum asked, but why would you WANT to. Sometimes it’s easier not to say lol. I was looking into their use for humans and also chook feed or rabbit feed. When we go for walks I am always spotting edible plants and such. The other day I even ate some lantana berries. they are normally poisonous, especially when green, but when they are dark purple/blue and soft they are edible and they tasted a little like blueberry. Quite small and won’t stop you starving, but still, maybe it would make a difference in the whole scheme of things.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.