Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Liquid diet for elderly cat

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals Liquid diet for elderly cat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RommieRommie

Our eldest cat (we guesstimate that she is 15 at a bare minimum – ‘older than dirt’ is more likely) is being a bit of a reluctant feeder, and has lost weight as a result. (She has hyperthyroidism which she is already being treated for and has been recently checked at the vet to rule out any other serious illnesses. The verdict is that she is just old). She’s also a bit forgetful, eating a mouthful or two then wandering off, only to demand food five minutes later.

She seems to be more interested in food that she can lap up rather than chew. We’ve bought her some readymade ‘broths’ (seafood bits in a soupy base) for occasional feeding but these get expensive. Does anyone have suggestions? Is a simple home-made bone broth sufficiently nutritious?

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I think home made would be even better for her to be honest. Have you asked your vet? I asked my vet about a home cooked diet for my dog when he had a history of urinary stones and he was more than helpful. I imagine you would need to offer fish/ kidney/ liver and perhaps an egg if she will eat it- thats essentially what it boils down to- whether she will eat it or not. Perhaps try chicken carcasses boiled down in the slow cooker? They are ready after about 8 hours- if you add a tablesspoon of vinegar to the cooking water when you start it helps leach the calcium out of the bones and cant be detected in the final product. When cooled it sets to a jelly. I would be putting a spoonful or two of fish sauce in too for the extra minerals.

RommieRommie

It was actually Hubby who took her to the vet, I don’t think he asked about a natural diet. They did give him some cans of prescription food designed for animals recovering from illness/surgery, plus also some kitten food (being very nutrient-dense). She does eat these, she seems to prefer the prescription food because it’s quite sloppy (it can be used for tube feeding).

I make my stock for human consumption in the slow cooker so I can try it for her, just leaving out the veggies and peppercorns. She does like chicken and beef, I don’t think she’s keen on egg.

Rommie, leave the veges in – but leave the peppercorns out> Cats natural diet includes gut which has a vegetable content to it.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

yeah but not cooked veges. Perhaps you could mix some nettle (herb) powder in with it which is a good tonic and vegetable matter.

RobyneRobyne

Why don’t you blend her food till it is sloppy like a babys food.

caddiecaddie
    Participant

That was my thoughts too Robyne

AirgeadAirgead

Our puss (currently 18… yes 18) is also going through the hyperthyroid thing. We aren’t treating it as a vet friend of ours assures us that she is in no discomfort and treatment will only extend things by a very short time anyway.

One thing with hyperthyroid is that it makes them super thirsty. So the lapping stuff up may be more thirst than preferring that to solid food.

Our vet friend did say that old cats are notoriously fussy eaters. Especially if they are starting to decline mentally (I’m sure ours is losing her memory and seems to forget where she is some times…). Ours will now only eat roo or kidneys. Nothing else. We feed her minced roo fortified with vitamins which we get from the pet shop (at great expense) and kidneys which we get from the butcher. She wolfs them down (can a cat wolf things? maybe she lion’s it down instead) but turns her nose up at anything else we try to give her. She doesn’t want variety, she just wants what she likes.

Maybe you need to find something she really likes and just stick to that?

Cheers

Dave

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I think when I am that age in human equivalent years I am going to be fussy as well 🙂

Minced roo fortified with vitamins sounds good. I have a breville stick mixer with another attachment with blades on it that is fantastic for whizzing meat up in- perhaps if you added water as well it would make a suitable consistency.

My cats are on prescription dry food due to urinary stones- that stuff must be gold plated! I understand why you are keen to try something a little more frugal.

RommieRommie

GirlFriday post=354977 wrote:

My cats are on prescription dry food due to urinary stones- that stuff must be gold plated! I understand why you are keen to try something a little more frugal.

Our newest family members, “the twins” (the Ragdoll siblings) are on prescription food for dental disease (previous owners fed them nothing but wet food it seems). It’s 24-carat cat food all right! :blink:

Airgead, yes she is drinking a lot more water than she used to as well.

I’ll try these suggestions and see how she takes it.

RommieRommie

Sadly, before I had the opportunity to try out any of your suggestions, the old girl passed away this afternoon

🙁

BobbeeBobbee

I’ve been following this thread with interest. So sorry for your loss Rommie, at least your cat is now at rest. :hug:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.