Aussies Living Simply

Light from a coke bottle

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Recycle Light from a coke bottle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    trandto

Though this was nifty. Using a plastic bottle, in a tin roof, to light a dark area area through the day. Plastic 1.25L bottle, full of water, add a capful of chlorine (to stop mould growing) Supposedly Eq. to a 55W light. I might have to install one in the garden shed as a test !

Pretty nifty and very low tech!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziT3XYE2xSA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

porgey

How wonderful. I might give it ago.

Bobbee

:wave:

Well you could knock me down with a feather. Something so simple and so absolutely fantastic. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Wish we’d had one when I was a kid and we had an outdoor dunny and we could have lit up the woodshed, no more feeling around in the dark hoping not to pick up a spider or worse. :sick:

I’ll have to see if Mr Bobbs will put one in our shed. :tup:

How marvellous for those folk in the video and what about folk in outback Australia and for the poor in any country and even for the rich in their sheds so as to save power. I’m getting a bit carried away I suppose, it’s not my fault ya know I’m tired.

:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks heaps for that info trandto. :clap: :clap:

Bobbs :hug: :woohoo: :woohoo:

BlueWren

How good is that!!!! :tup: :clap: :tup: :clap:

mountainmum

Wow that is cool ! :clap:

I could do with one in our shed so I don’t fall over the ‘stuff’ in the dark while trying to get to the chook feed!

Do you think bleach would work in place of chlorine? (only because chlorine is not something most households normally have)

And I wonder how long the bottles would last with the UV before having to replace them :shrug:

Excellent idea though, thanks for the post :tup:

Forest Raven

I didn’t look at this post at first because a ‘coke bottle light’ didn’t appeal, but I’m glad I got over that and looked. Wow, so useful, why didn’t someone think of that 50 years ago? I’m sure you can use a glass bottle which would be more attractive and long lasting, provided it is supported and secure. I want one now! Added to facourites just in case a time comea when it’s appropriate…

mrsrash

:jawdrop: Hard to believe that something so simple can make such a difference. Will need to try it in the wood shed. Thanks for sharing!! :kiss:

mauzi

What a fantastic idea. Really impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Wombat

Love it! :hug:

Nev

PeterD

The Japanese did this yonks ago with Solar Optic fibres, solar light collector on the roof and then a light output unit installed inside. However it was of course very expensive and for office buildings.

Its great to see the Phillipino’s making an Appropriate Technology version of solar lighting that affordable by all.

I have a clay mud pickle storage hut next to the garage with about 20 glass bottles embedded in the wall to get light but one of these through the tin roof would have done a much better job!

:hug:

Rommie

That’s the coolest thing I’ve seen this week! :tup: Simple, inexpensive, makes use of stuff that would otherwise end up in landfill.

We have a couple in our tin roof annex, they work quite well, but it can be a bit of a bugger if you want to turn them off, I’m thinking of knitting them beanies.

Claraflo

And to think we stupidly pay $1k to have skylights installed. makes me wonder if a perspex fishbowl installed in the roof would work…. :laugh:

Vickie

wow, i think we should try this in the kids cubby, and chook shed

Claraflo

I just had a thought about this. Could this technology be used to say, provide more hours of sunlight to a naturally shady spot in a garden? For example one half of my balcony is shadier than the other owing to the position of the eaves of the building. So I get 6hrs on the right and only 3hrs on the left. Could I string up a bottle light like this suspended where there is light for the most hours and have it illuminate my whole balcony? Must give this a try…. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.