Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

lies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    RobyneRobyne

Did any one watch Insight last night on SBS. Its on again on the cable this morning.

I couldn’t believe the lair from Woolworths saying how much food waste from their stores and that most is no good to eat.

There was a guy from dumpsters diving and the smile on his face told it all.

I can say I have seen prefectly good food being thrown in the bin with the dates for at least 4-5 to go. Trolleys of bread dumped and a couple of weeks ago at least 100 full watermelons being thrown in the bin.

The excuses make me sick as I know that the local charities would love the stuff.

One Sunday I had to work and the bread rolls that hadn’t been sold I put on the mark down trolley and when the 2IC came in she threw them in the bin and they still had 2 days on the ticket to go. I suggested selling them for $1 a pkt but she wouldn’t listen and they were dumped.

Its all MONEY MONEY MONEY and to hell with the people who could use them.

Toliet paper is another if it gets torn its thrown.

I know sueing is the in thing at the moment in the world but if people signed for it, it would cover Woolies back side.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

No, missed Insight last night and don’t have cable.

Sounds like it would have been an interesting show. They usually are, but sometimes they’re much more ‘down to earth’ and relevant than others.

I’ll have to try to remember to watch one of the repeats.

Ta, Robyne.

B

Robyne, i agree totally.

I wonder if there is anything you can do like aproach the Manger (go above the 2IC?)

I know if I was told stuff was being marked down id go stock up:lol:

baxters6baxters6
    Participant

I was at bunnings a few months ago before all the rain. had to park around the back. near the skip was a trolley of plants. all they needed was water & a good feed. i was tempted to fill the car boot up, could not find anyone to ask about them so just left the poor things there. then on abc they were talking about the food banks that have started up. should be more of this type of things. so far our family is ok for work, sons are self employed but talked to a friend yesterday and he has not had any work in 7/52. thankfully his wife has a good job. there seams to be a lot more office work here for women in the local paper bev

Anonymous

with the advent of fresh baked bread shops, all supermarkets have them as well as all shopping centers have at least one, they are all over the place like a plague. can you imagine the waste in bread products alone on a national scale, none of us who eat bread would ever have to buy any again. then don’t forget their is the big backeries does their day old stuff still go back to them? the best bit is they lock the bin so you can’t take it then the security guys chase you.

that of course is the bottom line hey, it would afect their profits. guess it wasn’t so bad when pig farmers used to get that food from the shops and boil it up for their pigs at least it wasn’t a total waste.

imagine if they could freeze it all and deliver it to those countries where people are starving, nah!! don’t be silly that would cost money hey?

len

mary dollmary doll

just had a radical thought…would it be possible to have the laws changed so supermarkets are forced to either sell off their close to the use by dates products or are forced to the give the products to homless shelters or food banks.

I wonder what the laws are in other countries regarding food wastage. How do these companies justify wasting all that food…

MD

porgeyporgey

Its such a wicked waste. At a bare minimum they could at least compost the fruit and veg they throw out. Cheers GR.

AnjaAnja

I used to work in a deli and we’d get cheese in in great big blocks. If there was a corner of the cheese that had a tiny bit of mould, the whole lot would be binned. On the other hand, one year we got hams in that were green and slimey and smelled awful. We were told to wash them and sell them anyway. Where is the logic?

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a group in Sydney that will come and pick up any leftovers from catered events and the such and then take it to shelters … Can’t remember the name of them.. If they were able to get day olds from supermarkets , and even the wilted veggies.. AS these make great veggie soups.. I’m sure at this time of year someone who is homeless wouldn’t say no to a great bowl of hot veggie soup, knowing that is was made from wilted veggies :geek:

Allot comes down to the other discussion that have been had on the site about common sense.. Problem is these companies can’t be seen giving food away as it makes them liable “should” anything happen and someone tries to sue.. If laws could be made to allow groups / orgs sign off on the products, reliving the companies of any responsibility made some inroads could be made.. but until then…

flickerflicker

Hello Robyne, I saw it and I’m not a fan of big business but thought the guy from woolies did O.K.

Firstly he fronted up, others didn’t.

He explained that they do in fact work with charities and composters.

He explained that existing contracts have them tied up for years in some locations.

I think its a tough call to judge him guilty because someone in the room wore a knowing smile.

regards flicker.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Perhaps there could be some sort of auditing process that would charge the stupidmarkets for their excessive waste – foodstuffs specifically- but no charge incurred if they handed it over to a charity.

For instance, a designated area for the bins, under a CCT monitor (which they have for security anyway, so no extra cost incurred) and a random audit by some official to ascertain what foods went where.

It would be up to the store to have to explain why some foods were tossed / why they weren’t fit for human consumption or not given to charity. And, the bin area shouldn’t be closed off to the public – not to encourage the public to self serve – but I can guarantee ‘Joe Public’ will be the bestest scrutineers ever! :metal:

TeacupTeacup

I am aware of some bakery suppliers who have anonymously donated for years and still do. It sounds as if, were they more easily identified, they could have problems because of their kind-hearted actions. So perhaps discretion is their best insurance of being able to continue, at the present time.

But believe me, there are some lovely, kind and generous people out there who do donate stuff all the time, e.g. food, & clothes. I am very glad to know of some businesses that still do this, despite the current pressures.

I imagine everyone else here feels the same… I don’t know the answer to stopping wastage but really whole-heartedly agree, that companies need to be supported if they can refrain from such a practice. Is it our fear-culture that stops people from being “human”?

John and ZoeJohn and Zoe

Hi everyone

You can watch the program on-line or find out when it is repeated here.

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/

Regards

John

wocketwocket

i suspect the the sheer amount dumped by woolies has more to do with tax write off than anything else. 🙁

mambermamber

I used to work for a bakery and we gave all our day old bread, buns etc to a wildlife group who would use it to supplement the feed, or so I thought until my new flatmate’s mother dropped off a bag full of the day old stuff at our place. She was very surprised when I answered the door. She had been distributing it among family and friends for ages. I told her I would not like to eat it as some of it had been stored on the floor near the bins because we thought it was just being fed to birds etc… We had to stop giving out then because we couldn’t be sure it wasn’t being consumed by humans and it really wasn’t safe for human consumption.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.