Aussies Living Simply

letting out the chickens

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock letting out the chickens

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Wondering about letting out the new chicks

Our clucky hen had 3 chicks they are now 8 weeks old and confined with the mother in a wire cage in the chook pen

But they all  want to get out with the other 3 hens   When is the right time

The older chooks seem to have a go at the mother through the wire  now and then

Kasalia

Can you split the area in half with a temp fence so the chicks get to walk around, a pecking order will have to be established , maybe you can let one other chicken in see what happens then. I only have 3 chickens someone else may know more.

Mukluk
    Participant

There are a few questions that may help us to offer advice.  What breed are they (if they are cross bred how large are they)?  How much room will they have when let in together?  How good/protective is the broody hen?  How dominant was the broody hen prior to hatching the eggs?

I have seen this go smoothly at 8 weeks.  I have also seen it go very poorly.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Hi the mother is isa brown and the fertile eggs came from sons place [he has 20 chooks all different ]

Two are red and one black  so its anybody’s guess

At present the chook house is 6 sq meters and they are in 1 1/2 sq metres fenced off area

Every now and then you will see the mother and one of the other chooks try to have a go

The chooks don’t seam to worry the chicks

AUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Tried letting them out today lucky I had a strong water jet it my hands

I let the chooks out and hunted them up the other end of the yard

And let the chickens and mother out and one of the chooks ran back and started to fight

So both got a drenching

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.