Aussies Living Simply

Lavender Hill calling

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Lavender Hill calling

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    chesterchester

About time for an update again! There not been a lot of new from us lately, George had an absese on his foot from Daibetes , got hospitalized and they nearly amputated. Lucky he got an second opinion and the Good Lady Dr saved his toes. It’s been on going for 6 months now.

Needless to say we have not been up to the property much lately, end of December we are planning a few days there.It’s never enough for me but hey work and George’s health comes first. We did buy s plastic septic tank, all we need is a hole dug and installed.

Got 24 meat chooks to raise for our freezer. got another 4 weeks to go. few weeks and it should be full of CHICKEN.

chesterchester

I finally slaughter all but 1 meat chook, average weight 2.700grs at 15 weeks old. They look like small turkeys I promise ya. Killing is still up to DH but then it’s my job until it’s finally in the freezer. An experiment that will be repeated later this year in spring, when the freezer is just about empty. No they were not tough at all and very juicy done on the BBQ portugese style, marinaded and flattened. Yummmy

What other news have I got … I want to enrol in a cheese making cource, soon. Our goat Daisy is nearly 2yrs old, and due to visit her future husband soon. Lets hope for a successfull mating, birth and then a good production of milk. Daisy will finally earn her living on this little farm.

We not haveing a very good time with our lambs atm, some of our sheep had barbers pole, one young ewe had it real bad but with our shear acting promptly with dewormer, vaccinations etc we managed to save her only to have a cycst burst under her chin, more conplications …. then the neighbour’s ram jumped the fence causing a young ram a lot of harm, ripped his leg open that it took 40 stitches to sew it up again. all costs you never think of when you first decided to get sheep.

The second pic look very bad but according to the vet it will heal, form a scab and grow closed again, just take a little time. She eats and drinks with no problem. They are both confimed to sickbay until further notice. All drenching and vacconations are done regularly by our local shearer.

Now we just hoping to get through the next few weeks without something else going wrong.

That’s all for now

see ya

Attached files

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

OMG, that looks really nasty under the chin :sick: I hope the sheep heal really quickly Chester.

Glad to hear that the chooks were tasty, I remember having to help to do that when I was younger, if I did it now Id make sure the chooks were younger not the old boilers we use to do.

Poor sheep, I hope they mend quickly and cleanly for you… That was some cyst… :sick:

chesterchester

Just a quick update on the sick sheep… Sally the little ewe with the cyst is recovering slowly, it’s been a hard road for her and she has taken a bit of a knock. But in the process has become very tame and loves a little ear scratch and a special bucket of pony mix just for her. The skin is growing back from the sides (if that makes sense)we still spray her with a special oily based fly repellant, the shearer gave us. The scab has come off a few times and then it an open wound again. She got another cyst on top of her face last week, but that I cut and cleaned before it got out of hand.

Little Rowan with his pink butt is doing fine, removed the drain myself, but the wound still leaked a bit after. Now there’s not much wrong with his teenage testosterone, his got the upper lip rolled up and sniffing the air bussiness going on atm. He’s sure trying to do the humping thing. Soon I going to have to decide which little ram gets to stay with the flock. he is the better parents than Billy.

We off to the farm for a few days, get a little work done up there!

chesterchester

Wow has i really been 1yr 5 months since my last update …

So much has happened New lambs this years, Miss Lashes gave birth to a strong little ram but she had no milk, so he went on the bottle, Mom just got sicker despite antibiotics and good care, lost all mobility and when there was no chance of her recovering, she become a case study at the Pathology Department at the University. Big Ears has finally been weaned off the bottle. This season’s lambs will be for the pot. This Christmas there will a lamb on spit for sure.

The lastest batch of 18 meat chooks have only a few weeks to go before they end up in the freezer, George is still working on the washing machine that has turned into a chicken plucker, at this rate we might need to have the chooks processed off site again. Mr Fox and his mate the Goanna had a field day with the egg chooks, losing 9 hens over a few months. That did not do my egg selling business any good … so another 12 chicks were bought from the hatchery, investing in an incubator only gave me another 3 chicks. Still to young for eggs ATM

Rose cottage has finally got a kitchen, be it a secondhand kitchen that I managed to score on Ebay for $500. Trust me that was a bargain considering in what a good condition it was in. Lots of space, just the right layout with a right colour benchtop. I still can’t believe our luck find it. Plans to install it as soon as we can get away for a week, the dry walls and plumbing need doing before it can go up.

Wish we had more time to get all the projects off the ground and completed.

Attached files

chesterchester

This weekend gone by saw the start of our new bathroom, washing in a round tub is not much fun nor is having to jump in the ute drive 5 mins to the public amenities. I want a bathroom with a working toilet.It’s not going to happen overnight but lets hope by the end of the year it will be sort of funtioning. And as the world moves closer to Dec 21 we need to get organized for mass exerdise out of the cities, well if nothing happens then that would be wonderful too but we will be heading up anyway for a 5/6 week working holiday. Our goal is too get enough building materials up there, so we don’t run out of jobs over that period. I plan on taking up a few more essential bits of furniture and more foodstuff to stock up the already well stocked pantry. :shrug: :shrug: do you think anything is going to happen?

Attached files

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Hey Chester, nice to see you back.

Is anything going to happen on December 21st? Nope. Not a sausage – well nothing out of the ordinary, anyway. Pile of people starving, others intent on killing each other, most just going about their day; usual stuff.

chesterchester

Dec 21st, who knows Lady B, all I know I don’t want to be in the city I want to be on my own little corner of the world away from the city crowds and noise. My hubby goes on leave for a few weeks, and finally we might get a little work done around the place. Building materials are what we are focusing on carting up, company petrol covers most of the feul costs.

But I really want to tell you all the best investment I have made lately was a food dehydrator, that is sure getting a major work out. to see what I been up to http://www.pumpkinpatchgarden.blogspot.com “Our slice of Heaven” Doomsday preppers have really inspired me pull out the dehydrator and use it.

chesterchester

Hubby will be going on leave early this year, so that means we might be able to finish a few projects. We have had 2 trip up to the property since last I posted, off loading more building materials, a new glass shower screen, the bucket of waterproofing needed to do that job, 10 bags of mushroom compost, a few trees and plants and a heap of concrete pavers I bought off my landlord. 2 new ladders and metal posts for the dog run which could also be a great home for a piglet or two. Other building material we took up on the previous trip was 2×4’s H2 treated pine, roofing and bags of chicken manure. I do have a wonderful job of spreading all this lovely manure and compost and digging it all in. Unfortunately the weeds will also take off and grow extremely well but it has to be done, our soil needs a good topping badly if I ever want to grow veggies successfully or have a nice garden.

chesterchester

Good day, another update .. Still can’t believe the amount of work we managed to finish last Dec holiday. Just to mention a few, pulled of the old excuse for a roof and replace the trusses and put new colourbond sheets on half the cottage, that took 3 days for the two of us to do. The sheets over the kitchen and bathroom were 7.7 mtrs long and the sheets over the bedroom and small deck 5mtrs. I dragged/pushed and pulled them in position, then we both lifted them, slid them on top and husband then positioned them one at a time, then screwed them down before repeating it all over again.

Rain was threatening and the gutter on the bedroom side was not up yet so it was a scramble to get that in place, and the cube still needed to get a stand to level it out. I had prepared the ground by digging/piking a square trench for the sleepers frame to sit in, just ready for husband to cut and screw the sleepers together and add the slats across.

A window in the kitchen had to be moved to fit the kitchen cupboard in, someone was not very impressed cause he had already cladded the outside. Another window in the bedroom solved the problem with the bedroom being so hot, that would be the one looking out on the small back deck. At the moment the cottage looks like only half the house has been delivered off a low bed truck, here’s hoping the other half arrives sometime next year 🙂

Attached files

chesterchester

Snakes have always been a problem and having building material on the ground was inviting trouble so as soon as the roof was up and we recovered from the work. I put in a request for a material storage rack, well that’s was what I asked forthen as we got about 3/4 of the way I throw in the second part of the request I wanted a animal housing shed attacked to it. sofar this is what we came up with

Attached files

Le LoupLe Loup

I have a feeling that I know who you are now Chester, if I am correct, your good wife is a member of our Living History group forum, & a treasured member at that.

Great images, well done.

Keith.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.