Aussies Living Simply

Lavender Hill calling

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Lavender Hill calling

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Janine

Sounds wonderful Chester, love the idea of the olive trees and lavender. Looking forward to your updates and photos. Best of luck with your plans :tup:

bella

Sounds beautiful!! I spent a bit of my childhood at Willawarren and Toorooka. Remember going to Bellbrook a few times. Beautiful country!

Looking forward to more updates and photos.

forest

You’re getting stuck in up there. I’m sure you’re making a nice home for yourselves. Looking forward to hearing more. 🙂

Kiewiet

Mmmm Prickly pear straight out of the fridge on a hot day 😀

It sounds as if things are coming together nicely for you. I love the idea of recycling the crates. It really annoys me when I see how much packaging material is wasted by factories – fortunately there are ASL ers who can see potential in everything:tup:

chester

Just spend nearly 5 weeks at L/hill, weather getting cooler at night but the night sky is wonderful. You can see the milkyway while a tawny frog mouth is doing his thing, possums having a good scrap somewhere. With a few citronella torches and candles in lanterns burning, it looks very bohemian. Half expecting a Gypsy Romeo to come around the corner.

DH build a few more raised veggie beds 1,5 sq,& 1,5 x 2,4 & 1 odd angle shaped one for 3 pawpaw trees and some herbs. planted onions and potatoes in them. For the new area we made the first of four 3 mt sq raised beds . they get more light and would be good for pumpkins, sweet potatoes, corn or watermelons. A wooden compost bin is next on the list. A large covered area 2,4 x 3,6 mt with paving , can’t wait to have morning tea there. Around the citrus trees we used wooden sleepers to retain good composted soil, 1mt boxes for 5 trees in a prefect row. I showelled 3 trailer loads of compost, 1 load of river sand for the paving and 1 of free sawdust compliments of a local sawmill which I spread on the pathway between the veggiebeds. Eventually that should breakdown and get added to the compost when raking up leaves. More later….:D

chester

DH also built a large wooden compost bin for leaves with secondhand wingsplits, I just cleaned them up with the angle grinder and will still have to cleansote on the outside. I used the rotary hoe for preparing the lawn area and planted 20 sq mt of lawn and found the R/hoe a good usefull machine but you need strong arms to hold on. a row of lillypillies and murryas have been planted in good composted soil as a wind break. so many little things got done but the best was a new kitchen cupboard in the caravan with a smart benchtop (pavement find) cut down to size.

The kids joined us for the easter break which was just lovely. Cobi caught his first fish with his new little fishing rod, and watched a turtle swimming down by the bridge. The dogs swam circles with George in the river while aboriginal kids splashed around. 😀 what a live of country kids ……

forest

LOL @ Gypsy Romeo. sounds like you’re getting through a bit of work there, chester.

chester

Sure am Forest, and giving Popeye a go for his money Or spinash. I took a few photos and will try posting them soon. DS fixed my lighting problem, so I got 12 vott and can run lights/plugs of the generator without dragging extentions around. Our bargain $350 caravan is slowly getting a face lift with new curtains, carpet, cupboards & paint.:D

Chezza
    Participant

Sounds like you really enjoy your block, Chester!! I love reading about your achievements!! Thanks for the seeds, now I know why you haven’t been around much lately!! You’ve been building your dream!

chester

Been working part time as an operator load parts into a CNC machine for the last two weeks. (very boring work) but hey I love the idea that we can buy 2 x 4500 lt water tanks. direct from the manufacturer at bargain price, friend of a friend so we have got it cheaper. We will have to have to transport them on a car trailer to the farm. nice to have the money to pay for them myself and not with DH’s hard earned $.;) Been offered the job again when they short staffed:tup:

Tullymoor

I haven’t read your glog before Chester and WOW! you guys certainly get a swag of work done when you get up to your block :hug: I wish I had half your energy.

Can’t wait to see pics…especially of the purple caravan 😆

chester

Finally managed to post a few piccies with the help of my friend Mark, so just look in my album. Planning on going up for the Queen’s birthday weekend and spending a few days extra. Can’t wait:)

We sold one of our cars, leaving us with the st/wagon and my doneup VW Beetle,:D which needs to get a rego now. Must post a pic of it sometime just for Lee. Until then I can’t stay for along time. anyways it to cold atm.

chester

Just got the phone call, Your tanks are ready, please fetch them by 3 pm today. Good thing I booked a car trailer for this weekend, just had a feeling. Getting ready quickly to head up tomorrow morning early, shopping for groc. to take up and enough for DD & animals for the weekend.:) Will take some photo’s.

Chezza
    Participant

Can’t wait to see some more photos!! :tup:

Have a fun weekend!!

chester

Lets try this photo posting again:confused:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.