Aussies Living Simply

latest from Woolies

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up latest from Woolies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Robyne

Son said last night that Woolies are allowing you to return your vegetable, meat and other food you are not happy with for a full refund. It was on the radio this morning so they are putting their neck on the line for something everyone already knows about and ends up throwing out. I wonder how long it will last. :shrug:

I said they will need another bin out the back as everyone will be returning the rubbish. :tup:

He was saying that they are putting a pink Algie in meat to bulk it out. He said if you grill the meat you can see it come out and end up in the fat so you don’t notice it. If that is the case what else are they putting in the food that we don’t know about. 👿

Greth

I remember going to woolies to buy 2 onions and 2 lemons, not a big ask you would think. Had to go thru a dozen items to find two of each which werent soft. Excuse me, neither onions nor lemons go soft easily, how fresh is fresh?

Our postharvest horticulture lecturer offered to set up a course to teach woolies and coles staff how to keep fruit and veg at their best and display them properly. Both refused the offer, and continue to lie spring onions and asparagus flat, so they grow bent, and keep the flowers next to ripe bananas which kills the flowers fast.

calliecat

Robyne post=340103 wrote: Son said last night that Woolies are allowing you to return your vegetable, meat and other food you are not happy with for a full refund. It was on the radio this morning so they are putting their neck on the line for something everyone already knows about and ends up throwing out. I wonder how long it will last. :shrug:

I said they will need another bin out the back as everyone will be returning the rubbish. :tup:

He was saying that they are putting a pink Algie in meat to bulk it out. He said if you grill the meat you can see it come out and end up in the fat so you don’t notice it. If that is the case what else are they putting in the food that we don’t know about. 👿

some links about the pink slime, have been on FB recently

penny

That’s why we use our local butcher. He is not much dearer than supermarkets and is sometimes cheaper. His hearts art mince is $1cheaper and his BEAUTIFUL corned beef was $6.99 (ons special) this week. His usual prices are only a little mor than the supermarkets and none is ever wasted as it is so good.

froot_loopz

I wont buy vegies from woolies, though coles isnt much better, they are much fresher

Hummer

I will go with out rather than buy meat or vege’s from any supermarket :sick:

porgey

As a last resort I will buy a few thing from them and always before considering imported stuff. Its so important to support local shops who sell local Aussie grown and owned food & things.

Silent

Has anyone found any evidence that the pink slime is being used in Australia? I have yet to find anything of the sort. Even in the US, the fast food giants have stopped using it and McDonalds Australia never did. As far as I can tell, this issue is confined to US school lunches. Can anyone else find something about this showing we do/do not use this sh…stuff in Australia?

froot_loopz

I buy from coles on the way to work, its closest to the bus stop

I also use the fruit and veg shop across the road from work, but only when I can find stuff that isnt going mouldy

their quality is worse that woolies

Robyne

I will ask him to find out which of the managers told him it is happening. The meat we get in our Woolies is packed in Sydney and in another store the other side of Adelaide. We don’t have an in house butchers.

I just don’t like the bland taste of their meat and its so tough you could resole your boots with it.

As for Veggies I needed a couple of peices of Broccoli last week and I did get it from Woolies and it was Thursday and by Sunday it had a lovely beard of mould. :sick: I gave it to the chooks but will tell them when I go down tomorrow. To see if they do what they are advertising.

Son picked up some strawberries for grandadughter last week at the Willunga Farmers market and they are still prefect a week later :tup: , yet when he has gotten them from Woolies they go off with in a day.

Robyne
    Greth

We did buy coles meat when my husband worked in the abbatoirs, could actually tell what was happening with it, nothing to worry about, but its expensive, and rather kill our own whenever we can.

mistyhollows

I did see something on tele about it a while ago. Probably would have been on a current affair. They also use a glue to hold cheap pieces of meat together and then sell them as expensive types.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.