Aussies Living Simply

Large Black cats

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    deee

We’ve had increasing numbers of big cat sitings in the Hawkesbury for several years now. A local bloke is keeping a log. Many of the reports come from highly respected community members who have nothing to gain from being painted as hysterical. Most of the sitings have been on rural blocks, but these are still within 5 kilometres of the townships. Council has been sceptical in the past but is now calling on the State Govt to investigate (which the more cynical amongst us believe to be most a political move: we have a liberal dominated council). The State Govt thinks we are a bunch of loopy hicks and has refused to pay for DNA testing. In addition to sitings, there’s been mauled stock, terrified dogs and carcasses of goats found in trees.

Ideas floated about origins of the cats include the US Air Force dumping pumas in the bush when leaving Richmond RAAF base at the end of war (they kept pumas as mascots) and Bullens animal world apparently loosing a big cat after a trailer overturned in the 60’s or thereabouts, but either of these options would result in a cat that was horribly inbred or very long in the tooth.

D

grumpy3

I was not picking on you Rebecca just the so called ones that think they know it all for them I would not waste the time of day. Yes the black cats have been around for a long time and even a long time before the 2WW. I would love to to get one up close to really check it out. My son would like me to go with him searching for them or there prints etc. We would be armed with cameras as well as weapons but would like more to record a lot more info on them.

Rebecca. ufo’s thats interesting, Wont get into this any further but if your friend is interested in them tell him to look only on this planet for evidence. :uhoh:

Dennis

Kiewiet

The paw print looks very well defined but that is dependant on the substrate into which the print was made. From the sizes people are suggesting these critters get to, the depth of print would not surprise me especially if it was made at speed into soft ground.

Inbreeding is an amazing thing with cats -they seem to do a whole lot of it before they pick up problems – take the ferals on Marion island for example. A castrated male and a female with 3 kits was introduced 1949. By 1977 the population was estimated at over 3000 individuals:o

I would love to see one of these black cats though. Although Id prefer to be out of “snacking” distance:)

Michelle-sm

My mother saw one many years ago when she was walking in the Gembrook State Forest in the Dandenong Ranges. She said it scared the bejeebers out of her when it ran across the track only 5 meters in front of her. She said if she hadn’t seen it with her own eyes she never would have believed it. She told very few people for fear of looking like a fool but my mother is not the sort of person to tell fanciful tales and I have believed in them ever since.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Thats not far from the area that the person I know saw one Michelle, only this would have only been a couple of years ago.

bid

There have been alot of sightings in the Lankeys Creek area -near Jingellic nsw

Gianna

and carcasses of goats found in trees.

Leopards and panthers haul large animals up trees to eat their kill in peace. They are masters at being secretive.

There are panthers in Java. Why not here? Big cats used to be quite wide spread through out the world once.

From the sizes people are suggesting these critters get to, the depth of print would not surprise me especially if it was made at speed into soft ground.

Male panthers weigh about 60kg. The one we saw would have been a large male.

She told very few people for fear of looking like a fool

You should see the looks I get Michelle. 😆

bushy

The paw prints casts shown lately are not cats of any description, as the claws were clearly defined, cats claws are always retracted when walking or running.

Maybe there is something out there, like Elvis Presley was spotted in Parkes on the weekend.

grumpy3

Well there is something out there for sure and as most of us have said at first glance it looks like a cat. But when you think about its shape the head is always a little different than a puma or panther. I am guessing its a species all of its own. Well we are going to get ourselves organised and go looking for prints or any evidence we can. We will have good cameras and plaster for prints etc. If we get eaten I might not be able to tell you but some one will. If we happen to get a body that is all the better.

Dennis

Bubba Louie

There’s no documented evidence at all of the American’s having big cat mascots.

Bubba Louie

There’s no documented evidence at all of the American’s having big cat mascots.

Anonymous

the most recent someone up gympie way has a plaster cast of a paw print, this is no normal moggie or ferel moggie, guess nothing much will happen about finding out what they realy are until someone gets injured or whatever. the thing that gets me is if a cat goes ferrel will/can that animal grow larger than if it where still someones over fed pet? maybe to some degree yes but not to the degree of some of these sightings and paw prints.

these sightings have been around what? 15 or 20 years or so and stil there is no clear cut identification. in past reports where farm animals have been mauled and killed.

len

THere seems to be some evidence that cats arrived in Australia well before white settlement, so there has been sufficient time elapsed for some level of evolution to occur. If the original cats were not moggies or ships cats, but were from somewhere up north in Asia then the possibility exists for them to have larger forebears. The story of the American troops as the source of all these cats is something that is repeated all around Australia, and since one must assume that if the American troops brought their mascot animals with them, it is unlikely that every group would have had a black panther as their emblem, so I am afraid I am a bit sceptical about that particular association. A quick bit of research into military records and local histories would probably eliminate them as a potential source, but something like an asian wildcat, predating European settlement, and cross breeding with feral domestic cats might give the sorts of results people are describing here. All we need is a body so that DNA analysis can be carried out (which is not possible with footprints …)

Kiewiet

Normally you dont see claw marks on cat prints but Ive seen paw prints of big cats with claw marks before -they show up if the animal is cornering fast -reason I know it was definitely big cat is the big guy was in broad daylight running to catch prey under the tree I sat in. I did stay up a good while longer ;)but the prints were very visible from where I perched.

I also have had the fun of darting lion – you get to track them from the first jump! Poor things-those darts must sting like a hornet. When they first take off the leave a marvelous set of prints:lol:

I wonder if anyone has found scat and had it analysed?

deee

Many army units have a mascot. Eagles, tigers and donkeys are popular. Tigers are usually kept at the zoo. Donkeys are kept in the Officers Mess.

Really, only DNA testing of scats, or skin or hair tissue will solve the arguments about whether these animals exist or not.

D

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.