Aussies Living Simply

Large Black cats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    grumpy3

Has any one here come across the lare black cats that seem to roam Australia. They are the size of mountain lions or panthers but not quite the same and some stand nearly three foot high. Over the years there have been hundreds of sheep and cattle killed by them and a few humans attacked as well. The reason I ask as they seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate and moving in around where people are living more.

We have had the experience of two of them chasing our two children while on there bikes. I know they can out run the bikes so I can only guess they gave up being not interested. We also saw one chase a posum up a gum tree that was over a foot thick and his fore arms were griping both sides of the tree. We would say from head to tip of tail he was a good six or seven foot long.

We believe its only a matter of time before some children or a single adult will be taken.

Dennis

sunflower

That’s interesting to hear. I saw on the tele that a number of people from the Blue Mountains area had sightings but this is the first I’ve heard of any in Qld. Are you near the Glasshouse Mt area?

Have Park rangers and other wildlife authorities been notified?

grumpy3

I am 40 klms north of Gympie but they have been seen from Victoria to Cape york, central AUS and Western Aus. About 4 years ago a 17 year old had his arms badly mauled by one west of Sydney. Some departments know of them but the DPI won’t recognize they exist till some one brings them a live one. There paw prints range from around 75 ml to 115 ml so these are quite large cats not just ferral house cats.

Dennis

Hummer

A couple of years ago my ex was out in a fairly isolated area on private property (in the Yarra Valley) he called me to say he had just seen a huge black cat disappearing into the srcub and that he couldn’t believe the size of it.

He saw this animal on 2 occasions, both times it was too far away to get a pic.

I haven’t seen one myself though.

Gianna

Yes, my last husband and I saw a panther just near the Vic border. We were coming back from Eden and heading towards Gypsy Point. It was the same size as any panther I’d ever seen in the zoo and looked exactly like a panther (to both H & I).

We reported the sighting to the Ranger at Genoa who got rather excited and a bit pee’d off that we’d seen it when he had been looking for it for quite a while. The year was 1993 I think. No-one believes me except the other people who have seen them. :shrug:

Anyway, this one was crossing the road … slowly. I got the impression it was fairly old and tired. I did want to leap out of the car with camera in hand but I wasn’t allowed to. :shy:

Panthers are black leopards and can haul 60 or so kilos up a tree to eat it. It put a whole new complexity on night fishing for me.

Dennis wrote:

We have had the experience of two of them chasing our two children while on there bikes.

Oh Dennis, I would be so scared for the children that I’d have to move. :noapprove:

Something definitely needs to be done before it’s too late. 🙁

Topend Tam

When I was growing up in Innisfail there was often talk of what people called “swamp cats”, which were reportedly also big and black. I’ve never seen one, but a few people up in the ranges claimed to have.

Chezza

When we lived at Wandoan Qld., around the early-mid 80’s people were seeing a large black cat around Miles…. Sightings were from travelers passing through as well as locals… Locals used to poo poo the idea but when a local saw it they were convinced it was a panther….

Judi B

There have been reports of them here too, there is a lot of forestry around this area so they could be hiding there.

I believe anything is possible until it is proven otherwise.

kimmysmum

Yes there have benn many a report of them in and around the New England area as far down as Tamworth as well as out in the Hinterland around Byron Bay and Mullumbimby

grumpy3

It can make you be more cautious when camping by yourself. Probable not so bad if its a small party of people. Then again not sure how it would be wandering off in the dark to go to the loo. Puts a whole new outlook on the Australian wild life.

Dennis

Gianna

grumpy3 wrote:

It can make you be more cautious when camping by yourself. Probable not so bad if its a small party of people. Then again not sure how it would be wandering off in the dark to go to the loo. Puts a whole new outlook on the Australian wild life.

Dennis

I just hope that the populations don’t explode out of control before we can do something about them. There is plenty of research going on but until they bring a dead animal to the authorities, they don’t really exist. Up in the Grampians, there have also been many sightings of Pumas. There could well be a sizeable population up there already.

Note that there are no sightings of tigers, cheetahs, lions etc., just Panthers and Pumas. How they got out here is debatable but I know they’re out there. 😐

Rinelle

Scary stuff. I’ve never seen anything like this, despite living (and camping) in some remote areas. Lots of big feral cats, but none that big.

Hummer

But wasnt there a big black cat shot by a farmer in the last 18mts or so ? And because its face was unrecognisable it was’t confirmed ? Or something like that,… it did make the papers.

Gianna

Actually, there was a large cat shot Humbug. I’m not sure what has happened about that. They were doing DNA testing last I heard.

Hummer

It was massive.. I’d hate to have been having a quiet pee behind a bush and have him sneak up on me :jawdrop:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.