Aussies Living Simply

Lady bug like beetle

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Lady bug like beetle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lmd80

Hi I have an army of beetles that are similar to a lady beetle attacking mostly my cucumbers! It is more of a yellow with evenly spread dots! It seems to lay a bunch of eggs and a furry like yellow/green thing? It is destroying my cucumber plant and has attacked a few others. I have started squashing them. Anyone know what it is?

porgey

Without a pic its hard to say for sure but there are some lady beetles that do eat plants and are therefore a “pest”. If you can catch one and count the dots and possibly post a pic that would be handy.

Does your cucumber have powdery mildew or any other fungi?

Whilst most gardeners consider any leaf chewing insect a pest I dont as it reveals a clue to a possible in-balance in your garden which you can rectify as well food for beneficial insects.

Bel

Hi lmd80. I found this page on the net. Could it be these guys?

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_ladybirds/Epilachninae.html

Hmm, can’t find the button for adding websites, but you should be able to cut and paste it into your web browser.

Patsy133

Sounds like 28 spotted lady bug this is the plant eating ladybug – they love cucurbits – they are slightly larger than other lady bugs and have a yellowish immature form. The other bug that likes cucurbits is the spotted pumpkin beetle – these are longer and thinner than lady bugs and come in both plain orange and black spots their immature form lives in the roots and lower parts of the vine.

I control them by hand picking both adults and their offspring (ladybugs) – just make sure that good lady bug babies are not picked up by mistake. If you don’t like squishing by hand a wide bowl (I use and old ice cream container) with a small amount of water and a squeeze of washing up detergent will do the job – I brush the offending insects into the water.

lmd80

Yes this is them! Which one exactly I’m not sure? Will take a pic on my days off. They have destroyed a cucumber plant that was producing well 🙁 Do you know what this means in terms of what might be wrong? I will co tinge squashing and start reading up. I left them when there were only a few thinking they were good.

lmd80

In preparation for this spring, what is the best way to avoid the powdery issue and the bug?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.