Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Kristy's adventures in the Adelaide Hills :)

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log Kristy's adventures in the Adelaide Hills :)

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    KristyKristy

Thank you fruitful, how are things going for you?

I think most of my seedlings I planted of basil and parsley have gone 🙁 I think that they were too small to be planted there!

Everything else is looking good though and will look even better when I water it tomorrow morning.

fruitfulfruitful

Perhaps letting seedlings get a bit bigger takes the really nice taste that critters like away, of course that means nurturing them a lot longer which is time and effort.

:shrug:

I’m poised to go away this weekend Kristy, on a ‘shopping’ bus trip to Melbourne and I’m wondering how my seedlings/plants will fare while I’m away. It is also prime time for planting seeds and I may do that and just hope that between my daughters things will be looked after.

As for my place, I’ve been madly weeding since winter and things are not looking ‘kept’ at all, I’m glad for the drier weather as most of the weeds are dying off now, along with a good portion of the natives I planted! :ohmy: but what can you do apart from cherishing every success, no matter how small.

Looking forward to catching up at the next get together – I missed the last one!

KristyKristy

So great to hear you are getting on top of the garden too. Hope you had a good shopping weekend and that the garden survived.

Looking forward to catching up at the next get together, hope I don’t miss it as I’m not real regular with checking the forum for new topics…

KristyKristy

I’m back!!!

Got made redundant in my last job, which worked out well as I had a month off before the new job and paid off my car loan with the money, which I am wrapped about!

On the afternoon shift I have time to visit here as it is so quiet, plus I am getting lots done in the morning before work. Noon – 8pm, but the morning shift 4am – noon really wears me out.

The last two mornings I:

-Mowed the lawns

-Weeded/removed dead veggies from raised garden beds and filled with new soil

-Dug up the potatoes and will start preparing the spot for the next potatoes (which I will use the ones I dug up I think)

-Made comfrey ointment

-Picked peppermint leaves and hung to dry for my teas

-Weeded around the natives in the front yard

It feels great to be back out in the garden now it has cooled down in SA.

Future plans are to try removing the boards from all the pallets I have laying around and attaching strong mesh, which I will use to grow greens for the chooks through. Thinking it should work well if I can get the boards off!

Maybe starting some seeds, plus need to buy more pea mulch for weed suppression for before it all starts growing again in the coming weeks/months.

Bel you have inspired me to get back out there 🙂

fruitfulfruitful

hi Kristy, glad you got a new job and that’s terrific about paying off a loan, what a relief.

Wonderful to have you back, it’s been a lot quieter without you :hug:

Looks like the cooler weather is inspiring many here, it’s nice to be able to come on here and keep in touch with all the gardening posts!!

mudhenmudhen

Great to see all the things you’ve been up to, Kristy! It’s a good feeling to be back in the yard and getting on top of things. Good on you for paying off your loan too, that’s excellent. AND you managed to get another job without a big break in work which must have been quite a relief.

I’ve taken apart a few pallets, and they tend to be a big pain in the butt. On my wish list is a reciprocating saw that cuts through nails, this way you simply chop through the joins rather than the difficult job of prising the boards apart, which often ends up splitting the boards and making a mess, not to mention having to pull out the nails as well.

KristyKristy

Thank you Fruitful and Mudhen, it’s great to be back and being more mindful again about the environment and saving money. Food is such a big part of my budget, that I really need to start growing/cooking more of my own things again!

The mortgage is my only loan now and I keep wondering how I can pay it off quickly or sometimes wonder about moving further out with a smaller mortgage that I could pay off quicker. Things to ponder…

BelBel

Hi Kristy :wave: Great to see you back and posting again. And I’m glad to have inspired you :blush: Sounds like you’ve been busy in the garden already. What a relief to have paid off your car loan too! What are you doing in your new job? I find that shift work is a mixed blessing too – lots of time to gets things done before work on afternoon shift, but it tires you out! How are the trees in your orchard going? DH picked up a heap of pallets the other day too – they always have stacks of them at Bunnings. I’m planning to use some of them to make a slightly raised floor in the shelter for our soon-to-be pig paddock 🙂

KristyKristy

I didn’t water the fruit trees enough, I didn’t net the trees and the parrots stripped the trees in a day, pretty much not great I guess you could say lol. But each year I am learning new things I need to do. Before spring I am going to put in a watering system for the fruit trees and investigate netting options. Since I have had the chickens free ranging everyday I have had a lot less pests in the fruit trees, which is great! But the chooks are eating all the leaves at the bottoms of the trees, cheeky buggers lol. Amazing how high they can jump!

BelBel

Kristy post=360374 wrote: I didn’t water the fruit trees enough, I didn’t net the trees and the parrots stripped the trees in a day, pretty much not great I guess you could say lol. But each year I am learning new things I need to do. Before spring I am going to put in a watering system for the fruit trees and investigate netting options. Since I have had the chickens free ranging everyday I have had a lot less pests in the fruit trees, which is great! But the chooks are eating all the leaves at the bottoms of the trees, cheeky buggers lol. Amazing how high they can jump!

Oh dear. The parrots are a pain aren’t they?! If we didn’t have the shade cloth structure we have, we wouldn’t get any fruit either. I had a real struggle with rabbits eating the lower limbs/leaves of my citrus leaves and had to put wire cages around the bottom. Maybe you could do the same with your trees to keep the chooks out?

VanessaVanessa

I too have learnt the importance of watering the fruit trees especially while they are young.

I have worked out the best way to do it is to have the hose on a dribble, and leave it at the base of the tree for about half an hour or so (my indication is when there is a big wet ring around the tree about 1.5 to 2m in diameter, this allows the water to penetrate deeply and give the tree a good soaking.

Often in summer I have a hose on all weekend watering the trees and garden beds but I justify it because it is efficiently watering, and it will provide us with food.

It is also handy if you have one of those 2hr timers on the tap, that way if you forget about shifting the hose, you don’t flood the whole backyard.

BelBel

I also keep a bucket in the shower to collect the water when you’re getting the shower to the right temperature. I use this water on all my young fruit trees.

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.