Aussies Living Simply

Keiffer Grains

Home Forums HOMEMADE Dairy products Keiffer Grains

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    BlueWren

Hi Bobbee I’m about to “go kefir”. Atre you getting all your ideas/info etc from that book “Nourishing Traditions”? I’ll go looking for it.

Steve
    Keymaster

KatieK post=327301 wrote: Very interested on the vegie fermentation thing Bobbs. Let’s know how it turns out. Ever since getting the Nourishing Traditions Book I’ve been intrigued with this concept, but unable to find anyone actually doing it up here (Qld) – apart from sauerkraut but I’m not sure if its the same process.

Where abouts in Qld are you Katie? I have a facebook friend in Ipswich who I believe does the vegie ferments (not 100% sure) so I could ask her for you.

Steve
    Keymaster

BlueWren post=327329 wrote: Hi Bobbee I’m about to “go kefir”. Atre you getting all your ideas/info etc from that book “Nourishing Traditions”? I’ll go looking for it.

Hi BlueWren, I have an email that I was sent with a heap of info. If you PM me your email addy, I can forward it to you. I did send it to Bobbee a while ago.

KatieK

Bobbee post=327321 wrote:

Tried the second fermentation with lemon peel – wow, that was almost better than sex. :woohoo:

Well now……….I wouldn’t go so far as to say THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

Bobbs, I did say ALMOST. :laugh:

Steve: Thanks, would really appreciate the feedback. I live on Fraser Coast, a bit more humid than Ipswich, but would love to hear whether it’s a go-er up here all year, or just thru the cooler months – or what.

With the keffir, I noticed since its been a bit warmer it only takes a few hours to take off, rather than the whole day or overnight a few weeks back when it was cooler.

Blue Wren: Are you going to the GTG? I’m hoping to get there again this year, all going well, and if you need any milk keffir grains, I can give you some to get you started.

gremmbles

Katie, I live in love in far north qld and know lots of people who do all sorts of ferments. The heat and humidity just shorten the time frames a bit. Ihave tried a couple of ferments but haven’t liked all of them. Not even the chooks would eat the cucumbers I made!!!!! Kimchi is so far the best one I have made. A friend of mine made some delicious (and highly alcoholic) honey mead. I am currently making some vinegar out of an awful bottle of red wine that DH bought.

A good reference book on lactofermentation is “wild fermentation” by Sandor Katz. Loads of recipes and information.

Hummer
    Keymaster

gremmbles post=327337 wrote:

A good reference book on lactofermentation is “wild fermentation” by Sandor Katz. Loads of recipes and information.

I have this wonderful book and a dvd of his.. :tup:

KatieK

Thanks gremmbles. Am currently having a go at both lemon and lime vinegars (no mother has formed yet – may need to re-try this), and beer making etc, but was reluctant to do the vegie thing because of the heat. Seeing as you are able to do it up there, will suss out the Wild Fermentation book and see how I go. :tup:

Paradiso

am wondering if anyone has some kefir grains to spare?

cheeky request but there ya go.

I could swap for some honey?

Live on the Sunshine Coast.

Bobbee

BlueWren post=327329 wrote: Hi Bobbee I’m about to “go kefir”. Atre you getting all your ideas/info etc from that book “Nourishing Traditions”? I’ll go looking for it.

The fermenting of grains and oatmeal idea comes from the book BlueWren. It is an amazing book and blows lots of food rules/laws out of the water. It has so much information that I need to read in small amounts so as to take it all in. I would definately recommend the book to you.

I am inclined to agree with the concepts because I ignored the dr’s recommendations for getting my cholesterol lower and ate butter, full fat dairy etc etc and of course full fat kefir lately. My cholesterol went from 6.7 to 5.5. So I am pretty happy with that.

Of course our bodies all work differently and I would not recommend eating my way to anyone else but it worked for me. I guess if I want to lose weight it will be a case of smaller portions and more exercise, well alright much smaller portions and lots and lots more exercise.

Some of my ideas come from ‘Preserving The Italian Way’ by Pietro Demaio and a few other books I have bought recently. I had a real fling and ordered heaps and they are all fascinating. I think summer and autumn will see me flat strap preserving, hope so anyway.

I’ve even planted salad radishes just so I can let them go to seed and then I can pickle the seed pods. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Dom’s site and the others I pm’ed you gave me lots of ideas also.

Steve
    Keymaster

Steve post=327330 wrote:

Very interested on the vegie fermentation thing Bobbs. Let’s know how it turns out. Ever since getting the Nourishing Traditions Book I’ve been intrigued with this concept, but unable to find anyone actually doing it up here (Qld) – apart from sauerkraut but I’m not sure if its the same process.

Where abouts in Qld are you Katie? I have a facebook friend in Ipswich who I believe does the vegie ferments (not 100% sure) so I could ask her for you.

Hi Katie, I checked with my friend. She used to live down south and ‘dabbled’ with ferments down there but not while she has lived in Qld so she isn’t sure how the Qld temperatures would go. She did recommend “Wild Fermentation” by Sandor Katz to anyone looking to start lacto-fermenting.

KatieK

Thanks Steve. Will certainly look for ‘Wild Fermentation’ and also ‘Preserving the Italian Way’ mentioned by Bobbee sounds like a go-er too.

Bobbee

:wave:

I tried the oatmeal, the recipe said to add a quarter teaspoon of sea salt, and foolishly I did. Blimey the taste was so salty….. puke puke……. :sick: :sick:

Never fear I am a tenacious old bugger when it comes to something I want to work out, so I shall have another go. I will tell you when and how when it happens. :whistle:

The recipe only said 2 tablespoons of whey or kefir milk and a couple of other options which have slipped my mind. I am thinking I would enjoy it better soaking the oatmeal overnight in straight kefir milk. I used to do that for Mr Bobbs using normal milk about a squillion years ago. So why would it not work for kefir milk!!!!! 😉 😉

I’ve been trying to think of another method to separate the whey from the milk but I do believe plonking the lot into an old pillow case and hanging it and letting it drip over night is probably the best way. :blink: And then I’ll have cream cheese as well I think. I must read some more to be sure. 😉

Scooping the cheesy stuff off the top of the second fermentation is relatively easy but the last bits are difficult to remove from a tall rather slender jar. :S

Does any one have any other ideas they would like to share???? 🙂

Bobbee

Didn’t want to make the other post to large and annoying to read so here is a bit more.

😛

If you want to try cooking fish or anything really I suppose in kefir milk I can tell you that the lemon flavoured second fermentation, as I have mentioned before, is fantastic. I don’t think I said to also add the lemon zest with the milk in the pan with your fish.

The flavours are delicious and the zest is really yummy eaten with the fish. :clap: :tup: 🙂

And the separating factor doesn’t seem to matter at all. :tup: :whistle:

Bobbee

I poured kefir milk over my steamed veg tonight and it was yum. :tup: Spoke to my health educator person today and mentioned I was having kefir milk every day. She had never heard of it and she looked somewhat askance at me. :whistle: :laugh:

I have become accustomed to that responce from mainstream medical people. It still tickles my funny bone though. I must say that I live in the hope of getting a response like “Oh yes I’ve heard that helps some issues for some people. How does it work with you?”. :blink: :blink:

Maybe one day. :S

Erthgirl

Hi Bobbs :wave:

I did the lemon second fermentation thingo!! YUM! That was truly wonderful… had a house load of visitors for the long weekend… even they ate it… didn’t tell them what it was though :woohoo:

I added a teaspoon of maple syrup which then had the kids chomping at the bit to get at it!

As far as getting the whey…I reckon your pillowcase idea is a goody… I just line my metal sieve with some muslin… and strain it through that way.

Next morning, clear as clear whey and yummo keffir cheese… the plain keffir cheese I just rolled into balls and stored with herbs, peppercorns and olive oil in a jar in fridge… the lemon secondary ferment keffir I just drank the whey… yum! And then mixed the thicker lemony goodness with the teensiest bit of maple syrup.

I reckon you’re onto it with the oats and the plain keffir milk… kinda like bircher muesli… but instead of soaking in yoghurt overnight you soak in keffir… let us know how it turns out. :hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 272 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.