Aussies Living Simply

Keiffer Grains

Home Forums HOMEMADE Dairy products Keiffer Grains

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Keymaster

Well I’ve just done the first ferment with my water kefir, strained the grains and have a second lot on the go. Now I have added lemon peel, dried apricot and ginger to the first lot and it has just started it’s second ferment.

Will be interesting to see how it ends up! 🙂

Bobbee

Steve post=336133 wrote: Well I’ve just done the first ferment with my water kefir, strained the grains and have a second lot on the go. Now I have added lemon peel, dried apricot and ginger to the first lot and it has just started it’s second ferment.

Will be interesting to see how it ends up! 🙂

Sounds yummo to me Steve. :tup: I am keeping tuned in for following updates. :cheer:

:hug:

BlueWren

Bobbee post=336102 wrote:

News item……” local post office reports strange explosion in mail bag……”

Big white, gooeey blob approaching large Qld town, blob continuing to grow and gobbling up everything in its path. Evacuations in progress………………………

Well ,not quite that threatening, :laugh: but I do think my kefir grains are more in control of me than I am of them!! The cheese was quite simply,sour :sick: ……..think I left it too long in the frig before straining.I have tasted good kefir cheese and mine was not…….. 🙁

After that failure I did make some kefir milk which after a short fermentation with lots of grains was quite creamy,and drinkable as a banana smoothie with vanilla and honey.Somehow think though that I will be making kefir because it’s good for me rather than because I really want to !!

How much grains do you put with two cups of milk!

Bobbee

BlueWren post=336146 wrote:

quote]

How much grains do you put with two cups of milk!

Just 2 tablespoons BlueWren. :tup:

Glad you are going to keep going with the kefir, whatever the reason. 🙂 🙂

:hug: :hug: :hug:

BlueWren

At least the failures are appreciated by the chooks!!!!!!

Note the white beaks of the two standing up at the front!

Bobbee

Those chookens must be so healthy, lucky things. :wave: :wave: :laugh:

Woz

re overly Fast Cultivation in Summer/warm-weather.

On warm to hot days I use a Stoneware Crock for making the Kefir. This seems to cool and regulate the temperature of the mixture and slow down the process somewhat. Also good when there are fewer mouths to feed where a daily batch would simply be too much.

Erthgirl

That’s a good tip Woz… thank you. :tup:

BlueWren

Woz post=336285 wrote: re overly Fast Cultivation in Summer/warm-weather.

On warm to hot days I use a Stoneware Crock for making the Kefir. This seems to cool and regulate the temperature of the mixture and slow down the process somewhat. Also good when there are fewer mouths to feed where a daily batch would simply be too much.

Now there’s a thought!! Thanks,Woz.I have a stoneware crock I have been trying to think up an excuse for keeping whilst having A Big Turnout!!Except it’s quite a big crock and I usually only make two cups of kefir at once.Perhaps I could start four cups , remove two for my smoothies and let the rest go longer for cheese?

BlueWren

OK Four cups on the go in the stoneware crock pot.Only snag is I can’t see what’s happening!!

Bobbee

Woz post=336285 wrote: re overly Fast Cultivation in Summer/warm-weather.

Golly gee wozzle, we don’t hear from you for yonks and yonks and then you come up with a briliant idea like that. :jawdrop:

What a lovely, helpful chap you are! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful suggestion woz, thanks heaps. :hug:

BlueWren I’d just poke my long-handled plastic spoon in the jar, stir it around a bit, and taste what’s on it when you take it out of the jar. Yummo!!

Woz

BW – That’s about the same size I use for 1 litre of milk/kefir, just over 4 cups. That’s enough for me for about 3-4 days, by which time the next batch is ready. I’d be interested in how you go.

I imagine before glass came along stoneware crocks would have been the norm for Kefir, so perhaps this is closer to the original. And perhaps the slower fermentation is better for us. Dunno, but worth thinking about.

Bobbs – wozzle? WOZZLE?!?!? 😛

>long-handled plastic spoon ~ taste what’s on it when you take it out

Zachery, only I use a chopstick.

BlueWren

Thanks Woz. I think it’s all going good! Yup, have been stirring with long handled plastic spoon .I’m going to strain it soon this evening before it gets too bitey or begins to split, and take out two cups,leave the rest overnight for cheese.

Steve, how did your water kefir turn out?

Steve
    Keymaster

I was nice BW. Reminded me of ginger beer a little. It had a weak watery taste though so maybe I need to add more flavourings or leave the second ferment go a little longer.

I did a second lot and bottled it this afternoon and popped it in the fridge to chill but I haven’t tasted that lot yet. I noticed the second lot was slightly fizzy whereas the first lot was flat. I let the second lot first ferment for 48 hours and second ferment for 24 hours.

Mmmm edited to add I just tasted the second lot. YUM!!! It is sweeter and has lost the watery taste of the first lot.

BlueWren

When you folk talk about “second ferment” what exactly do you mean please? What do you do? What process makes it “second” ?

Glad your water kefir is working out Steve.

Has anyone else found the site is having coniptions today? Just about paralytic actually.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 272 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.