Aussies Living Simply

Keiffer Grains

Home Forums HOMEMADE Dairy products Keiffer Grains

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    gabeandrews

Looking for some fresh Keiffer Grains if any body has some…thank you

Steve
    Keymaster

Hi Gabe, welcome to ALS… 🙂

I too would be interested in some Kefir grains if anyone has some to spare. Goes without saying I would pay for any costs and/or forward self addressed packaging… 🙂

tia

Anja

I’m sure there was athread about this just a couple of weeks ago….. Maybe different spelling?

gabeandrews

Thanks Steve, I think I will order some from Dom.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Got some from here some time ago, did have to wait a bit for them to arrive though..but it is a good site to read up on Keiffer..

gabeandrews

ooops spelling incorrect. Should be KEFIR..

Steve
    Keymaster

I’ll try to fix that link up for you Gabe. It looks like a good one…

KEFIR! A Probiotic Gem Cultured with a Probiotic Jewel…

A lot of info on this page of his too…

Welcome to Dom’s How-To Make Kefir and Recipes

Steve
    Keymaster

Can anyone explain the difference between water kefir grains and the milk kefir ones?

gremmbles

I think they differ slightly in composition. Milk grains will work in any type of milk and very easy to look after (hard to kill).

Water Kefir grains grow in sugary water. You can make a wonderful fizzy drink from them but alas I have killed mine. You need to feed them very regularly and I seem a bit slack.

Dom’s site is full of wonderful information but I have heard of people buying but not recieving. I probably have enough milk grains here to send some to a few people. PM your details and just pay the postage and packaging.

gabeandrews

Hello and thanks for your offer how do I PM you

Steve
    Keymaster

Thanks Gremmbles, I’ll send you a PM too.

Gabe, on the left of Gremmbles’ post (below the picture) there are four icons. The one on the right is the one to send a private message.

gabeandrews

Thanks for that, have PM’d…

dianne
    Participant

:wave: this is a link to a blog I read and she has been doing alot of playing around with this stuff latly and I thought you might like to have a look. She has been useing both milk and water ones :tup:

http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com/

Forgot to say, just go down 1 or 2 days worth. there are a few post with this stuff.

Steve
    Keymaster

Yay! I now have kefir!!! 🙂

I have my first lot kefirring away as we speak… 😀

Steve
    Keymaster

I made my first lot (with two cups of milk) the night I got the grains in the mail and late each afternoon since then I have strained it and put a new lot on.

I’ve been putting it on my breakfast cereal each morning and drinking any left over. I used to make the plain easiyo yogurt and put that on my cereal with normal milk but now I’m just using the kefir.

But the batch I strained last night was so creamy and quite thick. It was different to the previous lots. Would that be because the grains have grown and the milk has more contact with the grains?

Nothing was changed between batches, I added the same amount of milk and it was in the bottle culturing for 24 hours.

What is the term for the process by the way? Fermenting, culturing???

I’m finding all this really exciting! I love the taste too! 🙂

Muddyfeet

Hi,

As your kefir grains mature, get bigger, and recover from the shock of being rehomed, you will find that they ferment (kefir is a fermentation process I believe???) quicker! Room temperature also has an effect, warmer temps quicker fermentation. Eventually, you will find that before you know it, you’ll have kefir cheese, when you didn’t want it! (lovely spread on crackers).

Also, kefir is VERY forgiving..right up there with dogs and small children. I have grossly neglected my kefir at certain busy times in my life, and it waits patiently for me to clean it, change its jar and feed it, whereby I am again rewarded for my negligence and abuse with beautiful kefir again.

MF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 272 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.