Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Jimson Weed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lmd80lmd80

Hi, I have a plant that has popped up in a new garden full of sunflowers. First I thought it wasa sunflower then I realised that the spikey pod thing could not be good! Google has led me to Jimson weed.. Has anyone had any experience? Do I just pull them out? Should I burn them? If so, would I leave them on our fire heap until we burn next which might be a few months away..

AlanEAlanE
    Participant

It is a Datura so all parts of the plant are poisonous. However if it hasn’t seeded yet, you’d be safe pulling it out and composting it. If there are seed capsules on it (the spikey bit) then you could cut these off and dispose in the rubbish and compost the rest of the plant.

It was interesting to read that the leaves were smoked as a cure for asthma. It is also hallucinogenic and can be fatal so I wouldn’t recommend smoking it.

lmd80lmd80

Very interesting the asthma part, my children and myself have asthma. I was quite interested to read it but definitely not try it with all of the poison talk! Thanks for the tips.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.