Aussies Living Simply

January 2014 Bushfires – Hope everyone is staying safe

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up January 2014 Bushfires – Hope everyone is staying safe

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

They’ve updated the fire map in the last half hour and I heard an update on ABC a short while ago. It looks like the fire will probably miss Truro by about 3km to the east, though they’re expecting it to jump the Sturt Hwy tonight. Not too much north of that if it keeps heading that way. CFS have done a great job of saving townships and most dwellings in the path of the fire. I hope it stops soon so the poor guys can have a well earned break.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home/eden_valley_fire_information.jsp

pennypenny

Glad to hear you are safe Bel and hope the fires are con tolled soon. Our fires are all under control at the moment but people here are a bit upset at a magistrate who put 3 seventeen year old boys on a good behavior bond when they were caught red handed setting a fire. I know the probably do not really understand how devastating the results can be but they are old enough to understand it is against the law!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I disagree, a 17 year old would know how devastating the results are.

anyone over 14 should be charged as an adult in regards to arson, it would happen if I was boss. :-p

my brother lives in gingin, he posted a video on facebook of the helitank, dropping water in the paddock behind his house.

pennypenny

More fires south of Perth. Out of control and posing a risk to lives and property. I hope everyone is safe.

Kalgoorlie to the east had over 100 mls in the last 24 hours and has road closures. Talk about extremes.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

We are in the hills not far from Parkerville and Mount Helena…this is always a very worrying time of year for us. This year though, the weather is crazy hot, massive easterly winds and as mentioned earlier the fuel loads are heavy. It is almost impossible to “fire-proof” every home, terrain alone, is the killer. I still love hills living, but there is a risk, for sure. Our fire plan consists of people, animals, car and leave. Our home is undefendable (I don’t even think that’s a word, but you know what I mean), even with pumps, roof sprinklers, whatever.

Stay safe everyone and remember lives are more important than possessions.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

warming up again. 40’s during the week

caddiecaddie
    Participant

Penny I am down south now but my reaction to that idiotic person letting those kids off was that it should be thier home and personal safety on the line and see what the reaction was then.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.