Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

January 2014 Bushfires – Hope everyone is staying safe

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up January 2014 Bushfires – Hope everyone is staying safe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

With all the bush fires around the place I hope everyone is staying safe.

I saw on the news there has been one confimed death in the Grampians.

And I just saw on the CFS facebook page that a house has been lost in the Eden Valley fire, and the Rockleigh fire claimed at least one house (Was on the front page of the Adevertiser). I think both of these were near where Bels new place is.

Hope the rest of our ALS community is staying safe!!

To keep an eye on things try the following websites

South Australia:

http://www.alert.sa.gov.au/

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/news_media/current_incidents.jsp (you can click on the “map View” button to see as a map.

Victoria:

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/warnings-and-incidents/

pennypenny

We have had a bad time in the hills east of Perth .52 houses lost and one death due to a heart attack fighting the fire.caused by a power pole. Due to a wet winter there are also high fuel loads. Stay safe anyone unfortunate to be affected.

pennypenny

Just heard Bullsbrook to the NE is currently being evacuated because of fire. Hope all stay safe

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I didn’t even know there was one in the grampians till 5mins ago, never mind all the others –

like everyone else, stay safe and don’t forget the furries

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

2 houses now gone in the eden valley one.

The mundaring/parkerville one in perth is devastating, my sister is looking at buying property up there, and she says she still will

We had dumb arses light up the paddock behind my house on new years, thats enough excitement for me in regards to fire in 2014.

stay safe everyone

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Thankfully there are no fires near us atm.

I hope everyone who may be affected by fire stays safe and takes all the necessary precautions.

And when you’re able, pop in here and let us know you’re ok!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Ive been waiting for one tree to go up, and it did.

If you read the paging pages of the cfs and mfs, they are stretched very very thin.

Weve got oakden brigades covering areas up here at elizabeth, theres been trees down, roofs come off, car acccidents, big glass window threatening to come out in rundle mall, plus all the fires.

cool change came through with a bit of a bang.

BelBel

Thanks for your concern everyone. We had a very nervous and worrying day yesterday monitoring the fire via radio. We are about 10km east of the Mt Pleasant township, so the fire came very close before the change came to blow it back towards Truro/Angaston. Our bushfire plan is to get the heck out, so we spent the night in Adelaide. It was such a relief to return home today and find our property untouched by fire. Our big gum shed a big limb and will always be a reminder of this day – it shows just how strong the winds were. Last night, they were saying that the fire front was 8km wide, being blown by 50km/hr winds! It is so lucky that lives haven’t been lost. I feel so very sad for those nearby who lost homes, livestock and property 🙁

BelBel

Map showing the latest devastation of the Eden Valley fire. It came within about 8-10km of us, which sounds like a long way, but a fire travelling at 50km/hr in extreme heat on a large front travels very quickly!!

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home/eden_valley_fire_information.jsp

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Wow, too close Bel. But glad to hear everything is okay.

BelBel

Dammit – fire has picked up again and is taking off. Thankfully burning away from us now a fair way away, but I can imagine how frightened people are up that way. I hope everyone stays safe.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home/eden_valley_fire_information.jsp

VanessaVanessa

Yes I have just seen they have closed the Sturt Highway out near Truro. Hope they get it under control soon.

We had been very jelous of your move Bel, and had often thought we could do something similar. Now we are very thankful to be on the barren flat plains, and think we might stay where we are for now.

BelBel

Vanessa post=359756 wrote: Yes I have just seen they have closed the Sturt Highway out near Truro. Hope they get it under control soon.

We had been very jelous of your move Bel, and had often thought we could do something similar. Now we are very thankful to be on the barren flat plains, and think we might stay where we are for now.

We just popped down to the Mt Pleasant CFS to give the volunteers a carton of beer as a token of our appreciation. I spoke with one of the fella’s there who said that with the warmer weather, the fire was starting to take off again and they were getting ready for another long night. The front heading that way is about 3km wide and even with the water bombers, they aren’t getting on top of it. Fingers crossed for the people of Truro. We’ve loved our move and don’t regret it, but it has given us a bit of a scare! The CFS guy reckons it’s the first big fire they’ve had around here in years….

RommieRommie

We’ve been lucky here in the Dandies so far, no major incidents. A couple of my colleagues at work had a scare with the fire in Kangaroo Ground but they (and their properties) were ok.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

level 1 fire in truro, elizabeth is getting sent up there. Can hear the sirens now.

I told my daughter earlier I wish there was something we could do for them, I feel like I need to take a big pot of food up there for them.

One of my friends hubbys a volunteer, hes been gone for days and at this stage wont be home till tuesday. I might just drop something up there once everything is all over with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.