Aussies Living Simply

I've got a lovely knob

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables I've got a lovely knob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    tipsypixietipsypixie

of ginger that has sprouted a little bud :D. Can I cut this bit off the knob to plant it or do I need to pop the whole lot in the ground? Is there a preferred season for starting ginger? Will it do ok in a hothouse and pot?

Any hints on growing just a plant or two for home use would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

C.

Good LiferGood Lifer

I have no idea. I’m just so pleased you have a lovely knob.

:shy:

tipsypixietipsypixie

I am a very lucky girl ;). The knob of ginger will however be eaten if I don’t get a definitive answer within a week or so – go with that where you will LOL.

I do realise I can just google but I’d much rather get the answer from someone that has actually grown it from scratch like this and the folk here speak plain english most of the time. Googling often gets so confusing, especially if you use the word knob 😮

Cheers

C.

GiannaGianna

I planted the whole thing and it grew. If you have more than one knob on the piece you can cut it in half or thirds or whatever.

I planted some out the front in full sun where I forgot to water it and it didn’t grow. At the same time, I planted some in a shady spot out the back and remembered to water it and it grew. Haven’t dug it up yet because I think it needs to grow more.

Huxter09Huxter09

Wasn’t it an episode of Get Smart where Agent 6 ,undercover and disguised as a door, had his knob shot off ??!!

My father grew beautiful flowering gingers in Melbourne but couldn’t get the edible tuber to flourish .Lack of warmth I expect so a hothouse would be the answer .

tipsypixietipsypixie

Thanks oodles peeps – I’ll pop it in a pot then later during the week.

I think I missed that episode Huxter. Either I missed it or was too young to get the punchline, probably the latter.

Cheers

C.

ccBearccBear

You can cut the bud section of and plant it, I just had a piece which spouted about 8 shoots. Cut each shot out with a reasonable bit of the parent ginger and plant. If the shots are close to each other plant a larger bit keep the ground moist.

In the Glasshouse mountain region and Yandina they do two crops a year.

marigoldmarigold

Mine seems to prefer a dappled shade. I planted the whole piece that I bought and it seemed to be doing reasonably well as long as I kept the water up to it – more or less daily.

Then I moved it to a shadier spot and it took off – with less frequent watering.

Guess it’s an understorey plant.

thepoolroomthepoolroom

They definitely prefer some shade to full sun. I’ve grown some successfully from supermarket ginger that sprouted.

WombatWombat

thepoolroom wrote:

I’ve grown some successfully from supermarket ginger that sprouted.

Me too!:tup:

deeedeee

Trust Nev to tell us about his knob!

Sorry – nothing sensible to add:D

D

tipsypixietipsypixie

Well, it took a while but someone finally bit! Thanks for the giggles Wombat and deee 😆

For everyone else who responded – the knob has now got a few more sprouts so I’ve cut it up and am letting the wounds dry out a bit and plan to plant tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Cheers

C.

LollyLolly
    Keymaster

Trust Nev to tell us about his knob!

Sorry – nothing sensible to add [Smile]

D

hahahaha!

When I read the title of this thread I felt compelled to say “congratulations”!

I also have nothing sensible to add.. 😀

narellehnarelleh

oooh it can’t be too lovely now that you cut it up:jawdrop:

(sorry couldn’t resist:lol::lol:)

deeedeee

Oh Narelle, I needed a good laugh!

D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.