Aussies Living Simply

Is something wrong with my Turkey???

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Is something wrong with my Turkey???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bryant

I am worried about My TURKEY named “CHRISTMAS” I just went to put him in the Pen to lock him up for the night and he was dribbling 😉 I am worried now….Would anyone know why he is dribbling please????

Plus Goanna,s HOW DO I STOP THE GOANNA,S GOING IN THE CHICKEN COOP :shrug: AS WE HAVE SO MANY HERE IN THE MID NORTH COAST :S

Hope to hear from someone about these to issues

Thankyou

Hi bryant, sorry I can’t help with turkey, I’ve never seen one dribble. Mine never did anyway. Is there anything else wrong with him? Could there be something stuck in his mouth or throat?

We don’t have a goanna problem here, but I assume just fence the yard really well & have at least 40 cm along the ground on the outside too.

Hope someone else comes by with some more help for you soon.

mauzi

I had turkeys as well and mine did not dribble, so I am not sure what is going on with him. Is he otherwise looking normal, eating, drinking, eyes bright?

I am guessing to stop a goanna you would need fine chicken wire (we had a problem with rosella’s at one property and needed to remesh in the smaller wire to prevent them shimmying through. Might be a thought.

bryant

Thankyou very much for your advice I really appreciate it 🙂

Yes the turkey looks fine other than he was dribbling :shrug: Maybe Im just a Over Re-acting mother lol 🙂

Iv been told to hang CDs in Coop to stop the Crows and other wild birds,would you know if this is true at all PLUS garlic in their water???mmmmmm 😉

thank you for your kindness

Bry

Happy New Year :tup:

mauzi

Bry, garlic in the water is a very good control for worms as well as a general tonic, so it is a good idea. I have heard of CD’s for crow prevention, and it is supposed to work so worth a go.

weaver

We ended up netting the top of our chicken and duck yards due to the crows stealing eggs and ducklings. We couldnt stop them any other way. Now they sit on the corner posts and peer in (probably salivating at the same time) but they cant get in.

sue e

Not sure if this applies to turkeys but one of our chooks had sour crop and would dribble when she put her head down.she seemed ok just a bit quieter than others. The fluid that comes out really stinks as it is an infection in there due to a blockage. Have a look on Backyard Poultry – there is a lot of info there and online help from a vet. Hope this helps. Sue

gremmbles

If it is sour crop, when you catch the bird and hang it upside down, a lot of foul smelling liquid will run out. You are supposed to then massage the crop to try to loosen the blockage. We have a a turkey with sour crop and we ended up putting him down as nothing we did seemed to help. He never acted sick but had a large pendulous crop and we were forever draining the liqid out.

Check to see if the nostrils are running too as that could indicated a respiritory infection. I have successfully treated turkeys for respiritory infections with anti biotics from the vet.

On another note, a single male turkey running with a group of hens is not a good idea. If he tries to mate with them he will either squash them to death or break a few bones. He needs a couple of turkey hens of his own before he hits breeding age.

bryant

thank you for your information its very helpful 😆

Turkey seems to be fine now *Im not sure why he was dribbling :jawdrop: but he seems to be very happy now :tup:

have a lovely New Year 🙂

This is a great Site I Love it :clap:

bryant

thankyou for your information I really appreciate it :tup:

he has stopped his dribbling * maybe I am just a over reacting mother lol *

Have a happy New Year 🙂

I must say this site is just GREAT I LOVE IT

Bry :cheer:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.