Aussies Living Simply

Is anyone into fermented foods , other than kefir?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Is anyone into fermented foods , other than kefir?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    IdunaIduna

This lovely lady does a lot with kimchi and her other dishes seem so yummy.

Her youtube home page

BobbeeBobbee

I’ve got’ Nourishing Traditions’ by Sally Fallon and also ‘How Can I be Prepared with Self-Sufficiency and Survival Foods?” by Isabell Shipard. Both terrific books and heaps of fermented foods info and recipes in both. :tup:

🙂

PeterDPeterD

I’m a brewer and baker by hobby so all your fermentations happen there. Cheese, yogurt, buttermilk. Made kimchi, kefir, kombucha, and pickles, the list goes on.

Sadly buying at the market a lot of these items you don’t get true ferments or health benefits. You get comercial factory quick and dirty soaks in vinegars or vinegar additions like with saurkraut, pickles, buttermilk and so on.. Well worth doing it the natural way with living organisms.

I also have Wild Fermentation the book and its a good read.

I never got around to making my own proper garlicky pickles like from a proper New York deli but still plan on it if i can find some proper hierloom cukes that make proper pickling fruit instead of salad/eating fruit. Have to find a little old Polish lady to help out me thinks 🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz is another good read.. complete with an extensive recipe list 🙂

http://www.wildfermentation.com/wild-fermentation/

BobbeeBobbee

Hells bells the books I have that I forget about……..I need some more book shelves quite desperately I feel.

Another wonderful book with a section on lactic fermentation is The Gardeners and Farmers of Terre Vivante Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning.

🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

This is a fabulous & helpful website. If you sign up for the newsletter (I haven’t received a dud one yet, very informative :tup: ) … you can also get some free ebooks 🙂

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/free-ebooks-fermented-cultured-foods

BobbeeBobbee

I had a salad for dinner the other night topped with preserved or fermented lemon (can’t remember which it is :blush: ), and kimchi. It tasted fantastically wonderful. :tup:

I still haven’t tried a homemade fermented cabbage (you know that ‘s’ word that I can’t remember how to spell :laugh: ). But I will when I get around to making some, I bought some organic ‘s’……. but thought it tasted ‘orrible. Home made stuff though usually has no comparison to bought, even if the bought is organic, imo.

🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

Try “s _ _ _ ” for the bought stuff!! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.