Aussies Living Simply

Is anyone into fermented foods , other than kefir?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Is anyone into fermented foods , other than kefir?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

At our last local permie group meeting we had a hands on session making sauerkraut, kimchee and a fruit and nut ferment, which is utterly “moreish”.

How do folk use these three ferments? What do you serve them with/or add them to?

Also I have some kombucha from my daughter – not a whole mushroom yet , that’s down the track.

How much kombucha should I drink daily for health? I understand it’s a liver tonic and aids in detoxing the body.

A whole new culinary world is opening up! We have also shared Herman friendship cake starters at the permie group – that cake is deeeeeeeelisssshus!! And it freezes superbly too.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I am experimenting with fermented veges 🙂

I have made up a batch using the whey from my kefir cheese.. I ‘sort of’ followed a kimchi recipe from Sally Fallon’s book, nourishing traditions.

I love it! 🙂

I eat it with anything & everything.. it’s lovely with spuds baked in their skins & kefir cheese (with added spices etc).. & I also like it with salad or on bickies with tomato, spring onions etc.

I have also made a batch of preserved lemon with the whey, once again from the book mentioned above, but haven’t tasted it as yet.

Fermented foods are so beneficial to us & full of good bacteria for good gut health.. not to mention the minerals & vitamins as well 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

http://www.kombuchakamp.com/health-benefits-of-kombucha I wonder if this continuos brew system is available in OZ? Haven’t looked into that yet.

Sounds good Humbug.

SnagsSnags

Sour dough,pickled cabbage and yoghurt is what I do pretty regularly.

Have had a kombucha 20 odd years ago and used to have a big jar of red wine vinegar going.

Also made a fair bit of wine

DinyDiny

My husband used to ferment rice. You need sticky rice and layer the cooked rice in a glass container with a yeast you can buy in Asian shops, I think it was called Ragi.Put it in a warm place and after 2-3 days it ferments to a sloppy, sweet tasting rice. The longer you leave it, the more liquid you get and then it taste like Saki.I haven’t made it since he left, must try it again as it taste great!

SnagsSnags

I do the whole cabbage and make cabbage rolls with it

Pork rice and paprika

BobbeeBobbee

There’s a fermented banana recipe on als somewhere, which I haven’t tried yet. I am well into kimchi and eat it with fried eggs, anything with cheese in it, with all cooked meats and on dry biscuits on top of whatever topping is going on first. :tup:

I have trawled the op shops and found a container suitable, I hope, for fermented cabbage ( giggle I can’t spell the ‘s’ work :blush: ) and intend to make it soonish rather than laterish. :blink:

Have been into kefir for yonks and yonks and now whey also and the fermented veg seems to be the logical next step.

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

PS:

Care to share the recipe for the fruit/nut ferment please BlueWren? 🙂

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

BlueWren post=353691 wrote: At our last local permie group meeting we had a hands on session making sauerkraut, kimchee and a fruit and nut ferment, which is utterly “moreish”.

How do folk use these three ferments? What do you serve them with/or add them to?

Also I have some kombucha from my daughter – not a whole mushroom yet , that’s down the track.

How much kombucha should I drink daily for health? I understand it’s a liver tonic and aids in detoxing the body.

A whole new culinary world is opening up! We have also shared Herman friendship cake starters at the permie group – that cake is deeeeeeeelisssshus!! And it freezes superbly too.

hmm – I know I said I wouldn’t like it – but is there any fruit and nut left for me to even try??? 😛 :laugh:

eta, just had a taste of the kimchi, – it’s a tad strong for me, hope the saurekraut is ok, I normally like that

jaden62jaden62

Blue Wren – looking @ that continuous brewer. It looks very much like the water purifiers available from Bunnings & other places – large ceramic water holders that they then use a filter in. I wonder if using one of those, without the filter, would work?

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

An interesting article on what probiotics do for the body.. from a very informative website!

‘If you are serious about looking and feeling your best, then it is time to add beneficial probiotics to your diet. Fermented foods and beverages are the perfect way to obtain the probiotics your body needs.’

http://bodyecology.com/articles/look_younger_and_better_with_probiotics.php#.USFcSVp_Utm

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks everyone , keep it coming.Great site Humbug.

I’ll investigate the thingy from Bunnings and ask some questions on the Kumbucha Mama site at the link I gave.I am receiving her free ebook – very informative.

Callie – plenty of fruit and nut ferment left – drop in sometime.The Kimchi we made certainly has a bite to it – a bit too much chilli maybe?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

BlueWren post=353735 wrote: Thanks everyone , keep it coming.Great site Humbug.

I’ll investigate the thingy from Bunnings and ask some questions on the Kumbucha Mama site at the link I gave.I am receiving her free ebook – very informative.

Callie – plenty of fruit and nut ferment left – drop in sometime.The Kimchi we made certainly has a bite to it – a bit too much chilli maybe?

the little taste I tried of Pams, was nice, this seems different somehow,

I don’t think it’s off, but it’s different

BlueWrenBlueWren

Might just be different veg in our kimchi to Pam’s – seems you can include any veg you like.Not chilli – ginger.

I’d better boil up those sus sausages my daughter brought me to go with the sauer kraut ……..I don’t think DH will be excited about either…. :laugh:

Fruit,Nut and Seed Ferment

Ikg of dried fruit (eg 750 gm pitted dates, cut in half & 250gm pitted prunes cut in half.) You can add any of the following – dried figs, crystallised ginger, raisins etc as long as the mix makes approx 1kg.

300gm of various nuts and seeds ( eg sesame, sunflower,pumpkin.cashews,macadamias,pecans, walnuts, Brazil) Cut larger nuts into pieces.

100 gm finely cut up firm fruit ( eg apple, pineapple, rockmelon)

Grated fresh ginger , optional.

Mix all the above ingredients together.

In a small bucket, add salt to 500ml water to make a brine just enough salt to taste some saltiness.

Add some soured whey. This can be from yoghurt ,kefir, or sour whey from cream cheese making.Amount not stated in the recipe but I think it’s just a splash .Will ask and post later.

Mix in all the other ingredients and put a plate on top with a weight so that all the ingredients are covered withe water mix to exclude air.

Stand at room temp for five days.All liquid should have been absorbed by now. Bottle into glass jars and refirgerate.

I suppose you could make fractional amounts of the recipe.

“Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon is a good buy. What’s the book you bought, callie? “Wild Ferments” ?? Please post. Thanks.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

we followed her recipe – hers had stood for longer though,??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.