Aussies Living Simply

Introduction and our fairly new system!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Aquaponics Introduction and our fairly new system!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    ClaireC

Hi Porter,

Thanks so much for the info, really helpful information as we also thought hydroton was seriously too expensive and were looking for alternatives. In addition to no water, I also only have a small 800w gen for power at the moment (so no fridge or freezer) and I have no transport most of the time. I live in the middle of the rainforest far away from shops so I am pretty much living on tins and dried food right now (I have a bbq and one gas ring). As you can imagine I am therefore dying to get the aquaponics up and running. We are hoping to set up a fairly large system inside polytunnels so that with that, an orchard for fruit, and goats and hens for milk and cheese we can basically live off what we grow. We are looking at tanks with catfish, jade perch and redclaw. We need to flatten out some land first with a bobcat to set up the tunnels and then sort out some regular power for the pumps (and for the house) once those hurdles are sorted hopefully we can make a start. What ratio grow beds to tanks is your system?

Best Wishes

Claire

P.S I will definitely visit your facebook site!

Dayla

how do I find yuou on facebook? Looked for heretical greenhouse and no find you.

Dayla

Well thats Embarrassing! i forgot the link!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/339228356097440/

and i will have to work out why it’s not a search result!

Thanks!!!

froot_loopz

wow it looks really really good

Ive asked to join on facebook 🙂

My goodness, i am sitting with my jaw dropped.

You are crazy! LOL!

When people talk of poly tunnels, i cant help thinking of this! (bobcat will do the trick!)

http://remotegardener.com/?p=905

Ok, so it your trying to keep your energy levels down, may be this http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11703 is a good place to start.

My electric water pump is 70w/hr, his guy, Jimbo Rollins from the US is using a 5w/hr electric Air pump.

The ratio at the moment, is 60 big goldfish in one of 2x400ltr fish tanks with 11x50ltr Growbeds.

So, including the residual water, we are running around 1000ltrs so, whats that, 1 growbed per 100ltrs? is that right? (ish)

HI FROOT_LOOPZ!! Welcome to the HGH!!

Regards

Porter

Wow, has it really been 8 months since i was here last? how time flies!!

How are you all!

Ok, some catch up pics, and i will post a bit more later in the week,

Heck…8 months!

Ok, looks a little different, had some major sinkage happening, so a complete rebuild was in order!

Much neater now, alot more solid too!

still twin 400ltrs, with bio-filter in between. Aquabridges are still working brilliantly

Troutlets are happy!

And we are getting some really good water quality!

I will catch up on some more photos very soon!

Regards

Jeff

Dennis

Heretical Gardner.

I am in the process of setting up a small system of about a 1000 lt fish tank and about the same in volume for a grow bed. Also what types and flow rate pumps do you use, I am hoping to use a solar pump if possible.

I notice you have a pine frame holding to grow tubs, Have you had any trouble weight wise and the timber saging or breaking. Also are you running one to one in volume as fish tank and grow bed.

Dennis

BlueWren

HI HG! Good to see you back for an update.8 months! Scary……..

Dayla

Looking good HG, my system is still standing quietly waiting for time to set it up. Good to see yours in action.

Dayla

ruthy

I have just found this thread and it is awesome reading. I am lusting after an aquaponic system and cant wait to check out the links posted.Heretical gardener your system looks wonderful.

Hi Dennis, Nice to meet you!

I am using a 70w 3500Ltr/Hr water pump from Ebay, (i will go for a scrounge to find the make and model for you, bare with me) and it runs at full Ltr/hr. it really doesn’t impact on out power bill that much at all.

Solar would be great, but we want to extend first, however its definitely on the cards, let me know how you go, it will be great to follow along!

The structural pine has been great, the aluminum frame i used to use just crumpled under the weight, (50(ish)kg/Bed. We tipped the timber on its edge and its been great, only 1.4m between legs and double legged.

The fish/litre ratio is a debatable theory. Before the trout, we housed 40 or more goldies with now obvious ill effects, and now only 11 trout and it appears to be doing even better, whether that’s related i am not qualified to say. But the debate continues, i think it will come down to individual system requirements, But saying that, there are people who obey the ratio and have the success to prove it.

Do you have pics of you system? I would love to follow along?

Dennis post=350652 wrote: Heretical Gardner.

I am in the process of setting up a small system of about a 1000 lt fish tank and about the same in volume for a grow bed. Also what types and flow rate pumps do you use, I am hoping to use a solar pump if possible.

I notice you have a pine frame holding to grow tubs, Have you had any trouble weight wise and the timber saging or breaking. Also are you running one to one in volume as fish tank and grow bed.

Dennis

Hi BlueWren! Hi Dayla nice to see you both again! How are you both!?

Are you still wicking Dayla?

Hi Ruthy! Nice to meet you! Thanks for following along on FB! Great to have you!

Regards to you all.

Jeff

I almost forgot Dennis, along the top of the pine shelving, we butchered the old aluminum shelving for extra support, more to support the bottom of the bins than anything, but it contributed to the strength for sure.

Dennis

Dayla

Hi HG,

I still have my 2 big wicking beds made from 2 IBC’s cut up. They are in the polyhouse and it gets hot in there so they need a lot of water.

The W beds are 2/3rds of the ibc each and the 1/3rd is earmarked for grow beds for the AP system.

But I think the wicking beds are too deep. Or I have the water reservoir too far away from the roots of most plants. Something I wasn’t sure of when I set them up was where does the overflow outlet go in relation to the top of the gravel water reservoir. I think I may have the outlet below the soil level so it can’t wick up through it. The outlet should be above the gravel reservoir and in the soil section so the soil is wet and the wicking can happen.

So I have to water from the top and it defeats part of the reason for doing it. Still works though and I have some nice capsicums fruiting at this time of year which is great.

I haven’t gone on and made lots of garden beds into wicking beds as it seems to rain here a lot and we have a huge rainwater tank to back up.

I am busy creating a food forest under a netted fruit tree area. Planting lots of edible and bee friendly plants around the young fruit trees.

I don’t know when we’ll get onto our AP system. Maybe next year.

Dayla

PS Just had a thought whilst rereading this email. I could plug the existing outlet holes and put new ones in higher up!

YaY! Thanks for getting my brain working and asking the right question.

Hey Dennis. the pump is a PondMate 3500 from Ebay!

Hey Dennis. the pump is a PondMate 3500 from Ebay!

Dennis

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.