Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Internet in rural area

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Families and the Home Internet in rural area

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JewellerJeweller

Good morning 🙂

Hoping I can get some advice about extending my wifi internet reach on a rural property.

My internet works well in my house but I have built a studio on my rural property about 100m away from the house and I need to get some type of wifi booster/extender so that I can use my laptop up there. Have any of you had any success with this? What extender unit did you use?

While there is a fairly good line of sight between the two buildings, there are quite a few large trees, so I would not say it is a clear view. I can’t run my business in my studio without the internet so I really need something good. I had planned to just run an ethernet cable along the power line, but apparently the power cables mess with the ethernet line so that can’t be done. There is no chance of putting cables underground as my property is basically all sandstone so it seems one of these booster thingies is my best shot.

Any advice?

Cheers

SimoSimo

Google “bi-directional Wi-Fi signal amplifier”

AirgeadAirgead

Some wifi base stations will let you remove one of the built in aerials and replace it with something else. If you look up directional wifi aerial you should find something that will work. You just point it at your studio and away you go. A good one will get you around 1km range in the direction its pointing.

No affiliation but these folks have a good primer on wifi aerials – http://www.simplewifi.com/antennabasics.html

Cheers

Dave

JewellerJeweller

Thanks, I’ll go look those up 🙂

JewellerJeweller

Hi Lia,

Yes, I am with Telstra, no choice out here, they are the only ones we can use in our area, but our reception is good. My partner is going to get in touch with them this week and see what they have available. I’ll tell him about your ariel. Thanks 🙂

trandtotrandto

Jeweller post=355840 wrote:

Any advice?

Ask here

trandtotrandto

lia healy post=355873 wrote: We got a smart aerial from Telstra (it took many many phone calls to get one and they cost $700 (you can pay it off)), but long story short we now have 3 bars on most of the property.

What ? I can’t even get coverage in my house. I ONLY get coverage if I am less than 2m from my phone (to the coverage unit) ! How the hell did you manage that ?

JewellerJeweller

Thanks, Trandto. Great link !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.