Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Immediate Threat – Oil Shockwave Scenario

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Immediate Threat – Oil Shockwave Scenario

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 688 total)
  • Author

roadwarrior wrote:

I’ve never understood why survivalists focus so heavily on lighting.

I was thinking similar thoughts but along the Sleep-For-Longer aspect. Having an excuse to sleep half the day sounds good to me.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

roadwarrior wrote:

It’s not that I’m questioning these previous posts; but I’ve never understood why survivalists focus so heavily on lighting.

Actually I should retract that post. Firstly because I’m a total hypocrite. I have two Fenix TK11 torches and an LD10 for every-day-carry.

Secondly because I know exactly why survivalists focus on lighting. It’s because they are afraid of the dark.

To be more specific; light is a sign of human ingenuity. Being deprived of light makes a person feel incredibly primitive and vulnerable. I’ve certainly felt that way when camping and my lighting systems have failed.

grumpy3grumpy3

roadwarrior wrote:

To be more specific; light is a sign of human ingenuity. Being deprived of light makes a person feel incredibly primitive and vulnerable. I’ve certainly felt that way when camping and my lighting systems have failed.

Thats the fear factor coming in RW and not knowing what lurks out there in the dark only makes it worse. I can see you should talk to Doc because he may have some good advice for your fear problem. But not all wombats and kangaroos bite its only the creatures of the mind that are savage.:lol:

Dennis

roddam63roddam63

Thanks for the tip Bootstrapper – I’ll check them out.

Short and medium term having laterns will be beneficial – very low tech. Long term, unless there’s a source of fuel for them, probably not. But we have no idea what the future holds…

I’m already an early to rise and early to bed type, so that wont be a major shift for me, but there’s always that pre-dawn and post-dusk time that you need some lighting.

Given the price of power we might be using them sooner rather than later…

RobyneRobyne

Are the old Kero lamps still around.???

going back a bit, you used to pump them up. Dad had several but haven’t seen them around for yaers.

I can’t sleep 12 hours if I tried I think my body clock is used to bed at 10pm up at 5am.

We did live without power for 8 months while waiting for the lazy electrican to conect the house to the mains. We used a gas bottle light till hubby set up a 12 volt system. when the house was wired we used the genny till the mains went on.

WombatWombat

grumpy3 wrote:

roadwarrior wrote:

Thats the fear factor coming in RW and not knowing what lurks out there in the dark only makes it worse. I can see you should talk to Doc because he may have some good advice for your fear problem. But not all wombats and kangaroos bite its only the creatures of the mind that are savage.:lol:

Dennis

This one does!;)

Nev

roadwarriorroadwarrior

grumpy3 wrote:I can see you should talk to Doc because he may have some good advice for your fear problem. But not all wombats and kangaroos bite its only the creatures of the mind that are savage.:lol:

Dennis, maybe that’s why peak oil scares me so much then, because the creatures that lurk in the dark corners of my mind definitely bite.

harooneyharooney

I had to laugh the other night, along with my family who were over at the time, at the bloke who “had” to throw out the entire contents of his fridge because the power had been off for a while due to the wind storms here in Adelaide. I forget how long it was for, 12 hours maybe. Just shows how dependant the general population is upon fridge =cold=hygeinic and otherwise it must be deadly. How many generations since there were no fridges? How about other ways to preserve that food, or cooking it and then freezing when the power is back on? Just no basic common sense. No idea.

Of course if the fridge was full of 6 week old leftovers then they should have been tossed anyway.

It made me think about living without refrigeration and how we dont’ really need such huge power hungry machines for most things, especially if we were eating produce fresh from the garden or preserved in other ways.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

I’ve got to admit I’m totally reliant on my fridge and freezer. I haven’t learnt any types of preserving methods yet. That’s a BIG hole in my preps and scares the cookies out of me more than being in the dark 😆

bazmanbazman

If anything I find we rely more on our energy hungry cool stores, why? because we store our local produce on-site and not in the shop down the road. I have just brought a new chest freezer for storing all our properties excess, I’m currently running my new freezer at 5degC because I’m trying to keep 80kg of Brining pork cool for a few weeks before smoking and I can’t do it any other way easily. Running the fridges is one of my biggest issues if the power goes out. I still don’t own a gen-set but it is high on the list. My freezer should hold -18C for 24hrs without power. but I doubt that would happen as those events always happen when it’s a heat wave at 40degC. Pumping water is also a real pain when we lose power here.

bazmanbazman

Re- lighting and the not so unknown darkness.

I used to use a head light so I could garden at night, one night I was watering in the vegi path, pitch black part from my little light, I looked up in front of where I was standing seeing a 2m long eastern brown snake moving towards me, right at that second my head light fails and I’m left standing in the dark wondering if this snake is going to pick a fight with me. It sort of reminded me of the old hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.

A careful flying kung-fu jump backwards into safety and a permanent shelving of my crappy light headset was in order.

Does anyone know what sort of oils are useful for oil lamps?

roadwarriorroadwarrior

bazman wrote:A careful flying kung-fu jump backwards into safety and a permanent shelving of my crappy light headset was in order.

Bazman: nice description; I can picture it in my mind now (with a big smile on my face).

As long as the oil burns I don’t think it matters what you use, although some type of vegetable oil or rendered animal fat would be what I’d guess has been used throughout history.

shortlyshortly

Cotton seed, physic nut & candlenut oil spring to mind

as does the whale of olde but you might have a little trouble finding the last one in the corner shop these days.

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

Chinese Tallow trees are supposed to produce a good oil for lighting, and are one of the best biofuel crops excepting algae.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Anyone stockpiled anything this week?

I bought 84 cans of diced tomatos, 20 packets of flour (which we’ll use and rotate) and 10 boxes of 30-30 ammo.

Next on the list will be 6 bottles of plain bleach for water sterilization (20 drops per 5L) as well a 6 bottles of cordial to make the tank water taste better.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 688 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.