Aussies Living Simply

Immediate Threat – Oil Shockwave Reality

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Immediate Threat – Oil Shockwave Reality

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    roadwarrior

It wasn’t long ago we were playing a simulation of an oil crisis after Iran is attacked by Israel.

If you have been living in a cave recently you might not know about what is currently happening with rebellion rocking north african and middle eastern nations. People are rising up against their corrupt, dictatorial governments, and in the process a wave of bloodshed and violence is sweeping the region.

Considering that around half of the world’s oil production could potentially be at risk, even my most imaginative worst case scenarios could not have anticipated the events spawned through facebook and twitter.

To put it bluntly, if you ever needed evidence of the fragility of the world’s oil production system, this is it. If you look into your cupboards tonight what will you find? What about your car…does it have half a tank or more, or is it almost empty?

We can sit here and play imaginary crisis games, but reality is fast catching up with fiction. I think a little bit of preparation would be prudent right about now.

rw

yup , and u cant fix stoopid if people wanna go around with their heads in the sand, like some friends of mine, tease me about my spare small stockpile. πŸ™

Gothmother

yep, people are rebelling out of desperation as their living standards have declined to an unliveable state as their oil wealth is drying up. stocks are dropping, oil and gold are rising dramatically, cost of living increasing at an incredible rate. History shows where this is leading.

fruitful

I almost walked into the shopping centre doorway two days ago, my husband was going in to browse the supermaket with me and he said “they say you should stock up on specials and get enough to last a year”. I was a bit cross because I had been doing this on a smaller scale for at least 6 years and all he had to contribute was sarcastic comments and rolling his eyes when he found a cupboard full of the same item!!!

Anyway, I’ve had a couple of days to think about it and I think I’ll consider that as permission to do some serious planning!! I’d decided to go more for preparing by way of growing/producing our own and finding alternative (non shop bought) solutions for meeting our needs rather than having to justify excess products in the cupboards. He still doesn’t know about a few items tucked away where he doesn’t go! πŸ™‚

Better late than never is what I’m thinking now, at least he is on the same page with me.

Hummer

recyclingdiva post=306642 wrote: yup , and u cant fix stoopid if people wanna go around with their heads in the sand, like some friends of mine, tease me about my spare small stockpile. πŸ™

I don’t tell anyone about mine diva, I don’t want them to know.. besides, they have enough to hang on me as it is πŸ˜‰

Robyne

Fuel as hit a $1.55 litre down here already. Why don’t we produce our own fuel we have some we can use.

Hubby picked up some spare bike inner tubes last week the cheap shop was selling them out for $1 each to clear the stock.

I bought a couple of those 55 litre containers and a small one for carrying our personal effects like birth certificates etc.

With Son1 moving moving back I will need to move my stock pile from the back bathroom to back under his bed.

I have been seriously thinking it might be better if I vacuum seal all the flour, sugar etc as it would fit in the 55 liter containers mainly for space. As I store then in Coke boxes as I find them easy to handle myself.

mistyhollows

You know RW I thought of that exact scenario you played out when I heard of petrol rises on Monday’s news with all the other goings on and was at the bowser first thing Tues morning I paid $1.37, DH paid $1.48 Tues arvo up north of here. It won’t take much at all for things to fall apart and so many people just stick their heads in the sand. I read the other day that Richard Branson has estimated that petrol will be $200 a barrel in 4 years.

I don’t tell anyone what I have and have tried to get immediate family to at least have something for a couple of weeks but they “shop weekly or fortnightly and that will see them through”. I don’t bother trying anymore. They all live far enough away that if they run out of petrol they’ve got a really long walk to get to us and they’re all too lazy to do that.

I do need to get another kids bike and one for DH and spares though. That also crossed my mind Tues morning. I can seriously see us cycling to school and the shops within X amount of years.

busybee

I paid $1.35 for petrol today and that was after seeing it for $1.45 at most service stations. I am planning on increasing my stockpile and getting some more seeds going. After that heatwave that lasted a week a lot of my garden died off so I really need to revive it and get growing again.

Robyne

I bought some more Vegemite it is on special at Woolies this week for $4.99 for a large jar. Plus some Macro peanut paste for $3.29 for a large jar.

I heard on the radio Chicken Run and Go lo has toilet paper out for 21c a roll didn’t catch how many in the big bag. None near us.

Woolies has Harvest dinner meals out for $2,39 this week.

I have cartons of water in storage, never lost.

mistyhollows

For those stockpiling not only food but other equipment try:

http://www.esidirect.com.au/

for safety and first aid supplies. I have found them reliable and quite good.

Dennis

Hea RW are you still alive? I thought you might have got eaten by a bunyip back behind the three sisters. Will be interesting to see how people react to the price increases and how they will cope.

I have been tied up with other problems for a bit but my methane plant for cooking will be under way very soon. My other projects will take care of the fuel problem so that’s all taken care of. They way people react when a crises arises is incredibly to say the least. My thoughts are now that if the people have been informed before hand and reject the advice. Then they miss out and force is to used to keep it so.

I guess it can work either way but in a lot of cases the general public have no idea who they are dealing with when it comes to stealing your supplies. A mate of mine was watching three blokes leaning against his car. Eventually he decided to go and ask them to move. When he got there they attacked him and the first two did not know what hit them but the third jabbed him with a syringe. Well the bloke did the wrong thing so he got his face smashed. My mate is a master of unarmed combat with years of training sas.

As I said in the earlier posts be prepared and do the best you can. I have trained my son in just about everything I know including self defence. I would have to add that force is always a last resort because you never know who you are dealing with.

Dennis

Robyne

Thats frightening Dennis and it really hasn’t started with fuel price rises. The local garage guy siad the other day its going to go up near $3-4 a liter but that could be down here. We are always 50-70c dearer than a town 35 ks away.

Hubby is a onwer truck driver and when he says he has to increase his prices due to the price of Diesil the people get annoyed with him but it jumps in leaps and bounds at times.

Eldest son is a 3 times black belt in his sport and he has been teaching his 5 year old daughter basic moves but I think I might look at some self defence as well. Our place is opened on one side having an empty paddock next door to us and no fences.

Airgead

Hi Folks

Just thought I’d weigh in on this one.

While peak oil is a scary thing as our society is so dependent on cheap oil, and the natural response is to look after ones own, hunkering down in your bunker with a pile of M16s and 3 years worth of tinned food doesn’t really make the situation any better. If everyone does that things will fall apart real fast.

I’m involved with a peak oil group called Transition. Our response is to bring people together to re-build local resilience. Re-build the local networks we used to rely on before we gave it all away post war in favour of dormitory suburbs and the car.

If everyone pulls together rather than pulling apart we will have a much better outcome. I would urge everyone to get out there and reach out to your local communities. Re-build the local networks. Re-build resilience. Re-localise. Don’t isolate.

Cheers

Dave

roadwarrior

Airgead post=306846 wrote:

If everyone pulls together rather than pulling apart we will have a much better outcome. I would urge everyone to get out there and reach out to your local communities. Re-build the local networks. Re-build resilience. Re-localise. Don’t isolate.

Airgead, while I agree with you in principal, I’ll still keep my M16’s and tinned food, thanks anyway.

Transition groups are a great idea, but they are far too selective; they rely on voluntary realisation of the end of growth. Only a very small percentage of the population will prepare for energy decent. The rest will be more than happy to take what you have worked hard for.

In my community, we all have M16’s. That’s our version of resilience.

I wish you the best for your transition group though. At least you’re giving it a try, which is more than I can say for most.

rw

Dennis

RW, I have to give a talk to a mens group this week in regard to all the different types of fear that is affecting people today. CC,PO are amoung the topics and why people are preparing bug out bags and bulk storage etc etc. It will be interesting to see what happens because the men that come are from all walks of life.

Dennis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.