Aussies Living Simply

Im So Excited !! Im Getting a Canner !!!!!!!!!!

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Im So Excited !! Im Getting a Canner !!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    MelissaMelissa

YAY My Canner arrived today i can’t wait to use it but that isnt going to happen anytime soon as i am awaiting my jars to come but in the mean time i have many questions for you Ali but i need to sit down and think of them first lol its mainly about making curries stews and stuff and canning them so on those days/ nights you don’t want to cook you can open a meal out of a jar???

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Congratulations Melissa. I’ll bet you’re just itching to get going. Let us know what you decide to make first.

smiffysmiffy

My canner arrived today ….read the instructions , can’t wait to get started .

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Yay, Smiffy! What are you going to can first?

smiffysmiffy

I think I might try a bolognaise sauce for pasta with meat in it …will report back How I go …

ali_celtali_celt

My biggest hint for bolognese with meat in it is to brown the mince really well first – and try and pour off/soak up as much fat as you can. The fat left in the sauce will rise to the top of the jar in the canner and can cause the seal to not work properly. So as little fat as possible in the meat is the best plan!

Also, use the recommended head space. It’s really important to stop bit of food boiling up too high and also interfering with the seal.

Have fun!

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Congratulations Melissa, have fun with your canner. :woohoo: I got my Presto canner for xmas last year and have so far canned, Beans, Corn, Bol Sauce, Pumpkin Soup, and Carrots. I am looking forward to using it abit more (time permitting) this season. Have used the sites the other have suggested and the Fowler jars & recycled jars with new lids from http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au (these guys are great) Its abit daunting the first few times using it, but the worst part is the first time you eat the food. I was so worried I’d kill someone if the food wasnt canned properly, so follow the receipes carefully and you wont make anyone :sick: . I havent, thankfully. Heres the Pump soup.

Attached files

arentyoucutearentyoucute

Peas With Herbs

* Yield: 2 pints

About This Recipe

I add some of the ingredients that I like to use with cooked peas, like mint and white wine. You can substitute lemon juice for white wine (add a scant Tbsp per pint), or thyme for the mint. The flavor of garlic tends to wash out when you pressure can it, so I’ll add fresh garlic when I warm up the peas to serve them. Use these as a quick winter side dish. Warm them up with butter and minced garlic.””

Ingredients

o 4 cups peas, shelled

o 6 tablespoons white wine

o 2 teaspoons salt

o 4 -6 mint leaves

Directions

1. Wash the peas.

2. Pour the peas into pint jars (250ml). In each jar add 3 Tbsp of white wine, 1 tsp of salt and 2 to 3 mint leaves.

3. Cover the peas with boiling water, leaving about 1″ headspace. Place on the lids and screw on the bands fingertip tight.

4. Process the jars in your pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 40

5. minutes at sea level for a weighted gauge canner and 11 lbs of pressure for a dial gauge canner.

6. If you are using a dial gauge canner, add 1 lb of pressure for every 2000 feet of altitude above 2000 feet. If you are using a weighted gauge canner, set the gauge to 15 lbs for any altitude over 1000 feet.

arentyoucutearentyoucute

Glazed Carrots

* timer

* Prep Time: 45 mins

* Total Time: 1 3/4 hrs

* Yield: 6 pints (1 pint is 250ml)

Ingredients

o 6 -7 lbs carrots

o 2 cups brown sugar

o 2 cups water

o 1 cup orange juice

Directions

1. Wash and peel carrots. Wash again. Cut carrots into 3 inch pieces. Slice thicker ends in half lengthwise.

2. Combine brown sugar, water and orange juice in a saucepot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Keep syrup hot.

3. Pack carrots tightly into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.

4. Ladle hot syrup over carrots, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps.

5. Process pints and quarts 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

arentyoucutearentyoucute

Mock Pineapple

* timer

* Prep Time: 30 mins

* Total Time: 30 mins

* Yield: 10 pints

Ingredients

o 6 cups unsweetened pineapple juice ( reconstituted from frozen)

o 1 gallon zucchini, coarsely chopped

o 3 cups sugar

o 1 1/2 cups lemon juice

o food coloring (optional)

Directions

1. Note: Read your pressure cooker’s manual before first use.

2. Combine pineapple juice, zucchini, sugar, and lemon juice in a non-reactive (not aluminum or cast-iron) pot.

3. Simmer 20 minutes.

4. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring.

5. Hot-pack in sterilized pint jars, carefully wipe off the edges of the jar and attach seal.

6. Process in a pressure cooker at 10 pounds pressure for 30 minutes.

7. After cooker has depressurized, remove jars to a wire rack and let sit, undisturbed, for 24 hours.

arentyoucutearentyoucute

Please excuse the American style measurements. lol. I haven’t converted my brain to metric yet. 🙂 I think the thing I miss the most about the states are my hand me down Ball Mason Jars. I gave them a good home, but they were once my grandmothers. I remember going into her fruit cellar and seeing rows and rows of peaches, green beans, pears, and apple butters. mmmmmm. I hope you enjoy some of the recipes. I will share some more too.

Just wondering how well the jars traveled? any breakages? Was it alot cheaper doing it that way, getting them from the States?

arentyoucutearentyoucute

Hi there, I did not bring them. I gifted them to someone I knew would love them as much as me. 🙂

There is a place you can purchase them here in OZ , but they are expensive. I guess I think they are expensive because in the states they are pretty inexpensive. Plus, you ca pick them up at any garage sale. 🙂

SnagsSnags
    celineceline

My husband and I have been canning with the Presto for about 4 years. We have at present in our pantry about 500 jars, Vacola, when we can get them, we use primarily for meat, chicken, fish, mixes like soups etc, all at the cooking times recommended for the longest needed cooked item in jar, meats etc need more cooking time. I wouldn’t recommend pumpkin or sweet potato as a mix, but as a soup canned on its own, fine.

I usually only use the re-usable supermarket jars for vege and jams/fruits etc, I buy new lids from Green Living Australia, Vacola stuff from garage sales, Mitre 10. We have been eating our own canned goods 2 years after canning, excellent too. We use herbs and spices when we can, no salt, every meal is a treat. Its great to go home to your own veges in a jar (we grow our own, or buy bulk when on special) after a hard day at work.

Remember, it’s not crispy, like in stir fry, more a casserole meal, but delicious. Just cook your fresh stuff and add, or put in a pot and enjoy. We don’t own a Microwave, another story.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.