Aussies Living Simply

Im So Excited !! Im Getting a Canner !!!!!!!!!!

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Im So Excited !! Im Getting a Canner !!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    MelissaMelissa

well you have 10 months on us that make you more of an expert than us :

so i am assuming then that you cant “can: left over stews or curries?

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Melissa post=296278 wrote:

so i am assuming then that you cant “can: left over stews or curries?

I honestly don’t know, Melissa. All the literature talks about using tested recipes only. Hopefully one of our canning experts (ie someone with a lot more than 10 months experience 🙂 ) can advise on this.

MelissaMelissa

i was hoping that i would have gotten more replies about this i rember somethng about the canners from the old site i just cant remember who had them

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I think some have moved on, Melissa. Must admit, thought you had done the same. it’s been so long since you posted.

There are a lot of American sites that talk about canning. Some of the “homesteaders” seem to be right into it.

One thing I forgot to mention that I ‘canned’ (somehow ‘jarred’ just doesn’t sound right) is pumpkin. Just peel cut into cubes and pack in jars with water. If you want pumpkin soup, just open a jar, drain the water off, but reserve it, chuck it in the blender and ‘voila’. Pumpkin soup. Add as much of the water as you want to get the thickness you like Can use the pumpkin anywhere you’d use pumpkin puree, such as Auntie Flo’s scones, pumpkin bread, etc.

redhen2redhen2

bluewiz is a big canner. i haven’t seen her around for ages, but you could send her a pm. so is ali_celt. She’ll probably come along soon…

MelissaMelissa

Lady B post=296319 wrote: I think some have moved on, Melissa. Must admit, thought you had done the same. it’s been so long since you posted.

Not moved on just side tracked with other things i did lurk a bit

hoping that the peeps that do use their canners show up though would be very useful

on a side note this site is hard to wrangle specially knowing if anyone has replied to PMs

MelissaMelissa

bump!!!!

MelissaMelissa

BUMP

harooneyharooney

I have a presto canner (also bought in the last year or so) but haven’t canned anything as such. I have used it as a huge soup cooker (despite the aluminium ). I really wanted to can meat such as chicken breasts etc when I can get them on special, but I got put off by my mother. (why do we lsiten sometimes/ – no canning experience besides jams and fruit water bathing in the vacola)

I have eaten countless jars of jam made by my mum and myself and from fetes and none were more than a cello cover put on over hot jam. It annoys me that it is no longer “safe” to do this.

Maybe we need a caning “challenge” to get started.

smiffysmiffy

The canning challenge sound a good idea , We just have to get our canners first ….I want to do my own salmon and chicken . It takes a bit of finding recipes for fish and meat . I found the survivalist sites the best so far , currently compiling a word document with recipes I find , will be happy to pass it on when finished .

harooneyharooney

I had a link somewhere for chicken, it was so simple, just put the breasts in the jar, no liquid and process.

And speaking of canning, has anyone used the Tattler reusable canning lids that fit ball type jars and does anyone know if they would fit the old Agee jars? I have a few and of course the lids are no longer made.

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

Googled and found the answer. No they don’t ;(

MelissaMelissa

yes please Kathy that would be awesome

MelissaMelissa

you can get the lids for the ball jars off amazon im sure i saw them there

FishfoodFishfood

this australian mob has ball mason jars

http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/default.html

ali_celtali_celt

Did I hear someone say my name???

:laugh:

Yay! for canners! I have the presto too. I loves it. I use Fowlers Jars in it all the time. One layer only though. And the other thing I have found with pressure canner with Fowlers jars is that the rings will be totally unusable after (if you are one to re-use rings, which isn’t recommended but I know some people don’t have a problem with it)

I have pressure-canned tomato soup (pressure canned because it has loads of other veg rather than just tomato in it) still looking good in my cupboard from 3 years ago and it still tastes awesome too.

I have also used recycled pasta sauce jars with new lids (lids from green living australia – don’t have a link at the moment sorry!) in the canner with no problems.

My favorite thing to can has been baked beans. Dry beans are sooooo cheap for what you get out of them and I have a child with dietary issues so I like to know exactly what’s in my beans.

When it comes to canning leftovers, I personally wouldn’t bother. Mostly because canning is a labour-intensive process and to get the canner up to full pressure and the jars sterilised and the lids ready and everything up to the right temp just for one or two jars seems like a waste of energy to me. I’d rather freeze leftovers or plan to eat them over the next few days!

The other alternative is of course, to make a canning-specific meal, and use a part of it for your dinner that night, THEN can the rest.

I did the free online canning and home preserving course offered at one of the US universities. Again, don’t have a link(computer died 🙁 ) but the link that LadyB posted up there somewhere will take you there if you look around.

I have a couple of things up on my preserving blog but not a whole lot.

I confess since I bought my canner I have not done as much with it as I planned to. Mostly due to a change in my personal situation which now means I work 50hr weeks outside the home. I just don’t have the opportunity to can at present.

I miss it. I really really miss the home-made soups that were one of the first things I ever canned. I’m hoping that things will slow down a little next year so I will have time to get back into it.

Yell if you need any other help!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.